GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The BBC on diving..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 12/03/03 at 14:11
Regular
Taken from a Beeb report on diving in english football:

Francis Jeffers

The hollow-cheeked Arsenal striker falls to his knees more often than his namesake Sir Francis managed in his entire career at FC Assisi.

At first glance he appears to be a stout-legged young man who should be able to withstand a good shove in the back - but in actual fact a humble blade of grass is often more than enough to send Franny crashing to the turf.

Like a doddery pensioner on a blustery sea-front, Jeffers is unable to stay on his feet for more than six strides.

Unlike your average OAP, he rakes in £30,000 a week for hitting the deck. Justice? Don't get me started.
Wed 12/03/03 at 18:38
"Darkness, always"
Well, I wasn't expecting, for example, a panel Liverpool fans to decide whether an Arsenal player dived to win a penalty in a Liverpool v Arsenal game.

One would hope an independant panel of judges, or even *gasp* the FA would look into it at great length.
Wed 12/03/03 at 16:34
"High polygon count"
Insane Bartender wrote:
> But in seriousness, I think the discipline would be back in the game
> within a few months once all the bans start kicking in.

The problem is proving intent. Some dives are obvious, some are not. Some are obvious to some people, while others are not.

Cole/Cisse at the start of the season I don't believe was a dive, but nor did I believe it was a sending-off offence. Cole was caught, went down, had treatment and got up.

I've been kicked on the ankles playing football, and depending on exactly where you're caught, it does hurt like hell, and you do want to stay down for few moments - but it goes off quickly.

Similarly, the Jeffers 'dive' against Liverpool. I thought he was obstructed from getting to the ball by an arm. That to me is a penalty. Going down wasn't strictly necessary, but with the ref behind you and not necessarily able to see the arm, you need to make it more obvious. Whether it was necessary to go down or not becomes irrelevant, as a penalty offence was committed.

On the other hand, against Chelsea, I agree it was a dive. He left his foot in and Cudicini did touch him, but he was already falling. To me the referee got that all wrong. If it was deemed a foul, then Cudicini - as the last man - should have been dismissed. The ref gave a yellow, and that indicates he wasn't sure - and if he wasn't sure, either Jeffers should have been booked for diving, or the ref should have simply waved play on.
Wed 12/03/03 at 16:22
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
Arsenal are a shower of divers.
Wed 12/03/03 at 16:20
"Darkness, always"
Neither would half the Arsenal team by the same logic.

But in seriousness, I think the discipline would be back in the game within a few months once all the bans start kicking in.
Wed 12/03/03 at 16:13
"High polygon count"
Insane Bartender wrote:
> I still consider the idea of dishing out discipline post-match if
> caught diving on camera to be useful.
>
> Players should recieve yellow cards or even out and out bans depending
> on how their antics influenced the game...

RvN would never play again.
Wed 12/03/03 at 16:00
"Darth Vader 3442321"
Ginola spent more time in the air than he did on the pitch itself. OPTA stats back me up: "In flight"-3456 minutes, In contact with the "grassy bit on which football should be played"-23 minutes.

Gay footballers are the biggest divers, well they go down on you when you give them the merest of touches. They particulalry like hard tackles.
Wed 12/03/03 at 15:00
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
As long as know one accuses Diouf of diving, he just falls over there is a difference.

Another player I have notice that seems to hit the deck rather to easily is Robert Pires. Why a player of that ability feels the need to cheat is beyond me.
Wed 12/03/03 at 14:41
"Darkness, always"
Ashley Cole

Cole's pace is his greatest asset - he can hit the deck quicker than any other left-sided defender in the Premiership.

For one so young he has also acquitted himself remarkably well at all levels of the game, diving with aplomb from your average domestic encounter to the Champions League and the World Cup finals themselves.

After contenting himself with your average level one dive in his early days, he has progressed nicely to the more complex pikes and tucks - and is rumoured to be unveiling his triple salchow before the end of this season.
Wed 12/03/03 at 14:23
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
I think the only way players will stop diving is if their managers or teammates tell them to. Is this going to happen? Of course it isn’t. Managers won’t complain as the penalty’s get them valuable goals, teammates won’t complain as the player who takes the shot will be given a nice £1000 goal bonus, just enough for that nice platinum shoe horn they spotted in the window of Harrods.

Insane Bartender wrote:
> I still consider the idea of dishing out discipline post-match if
> caught diving on camera to be useful.
>
> Players should recieve yellow cards or even out and out bans depending
> on how their antics influenced the game...

Agreed.
Wed 12/03/03 at 14:20
"Darkness, always"
I still consider the idea of dishing out discipline post-match if caught diving on camera to be useful.

Players should recieve yellow cards or even out and out bans depending on how their antics influenced the game...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.