GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Next Generation Console Wars"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 11/08/05 at 12:01
Regular
"Eternal Pain"
There have probably been loads of threads like this, but I want to know what people think of the next-gen consoles.

You've got the Xbox 360 which is supposed to come out November, which is a major plus.
There's the PS3 which is supposed to be the better console as far as graphics and power go.
Then there's the Revolution - i have no idea about this console

So i put it to you - who is the best?
Sat 13/08/05 at 04:22
Regular
"The Ultimate"
The PS3 is the best when you equip it with all that its capable of. Like a HDTV, a 25GB Hardrive, conect to psp, online play and anything else they add. The PS3 is capable of going beyond gaming if you have what it can take. If you read all the specs it should cost about $500 that is too expensive depending on who you are. This is when the 360 comes in and try's to win buy releasing Halo 3 when PS3 is released, thats if it is released in March 2006. Dont forget Sony's Killzone 2 and A new Grand theft auto coming up. You can't really decide who is going to win yet so just wait until they are all released.
Fri 12/08/05 at 20:15
Regular
"8==="
Dringo wants to rule out getting a PS3 because of the older licences that will feature on it?

Not good enough: you have no idea whether it'll appeal to you in the future or not.
Fri 12/08/05 at 20:06
Regular
"Mozzy"
What is Dringo doing in these forums? Get out!

;D
Fri 12/08/05 at 17:51
Regular
Hedfix wrote:
> Bit of a daft thing to say considering there's very little known
> about the PS3 line-up etc at this time.

Devil May Cry, Gran turismo, Ico, GTA, Pro Evo etc.. does not appeal to me in the slightest.

> A revolution doesn't appeal to me at the moment mainly because
> there's very little to go on at the moment. Should I rule out buying
> one because of this?

Zelda, Smash Brothers, Metroid Prime and Mario does appeal to me.
Fri 12/08/05 at 17:50
Regular
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:

> I don't care what the reason was - it was totally out of order. Add
> to that my hard-drive failure and then finding out that the whole
> machine is a fire waiting to happen, and I just don't trust
> Microsoft.

lol true.

> You still consider Mario original? Sheesh!

No I'll get the Revolution for Mario, Zelda and pure original fun. I'll get it for two established franchises and the promise of a series of original fun titles.

> No, you won't get a PS3 because it's made by Sony! If Sony had
> withdrawn from the console market and the PS3 hardware was being
> released by Nintendo, you'd snap it up and be telling us all how
> appealing it is and how great it is that Ninty has finally grown up!
> :-)

Not true, I'm getting a 360 after all. I don't like the Playstation control, design, the software partners it has... I simple do not like the Playstation.
Fri 12/08/05 at 14:36
"High polygon count"
Dringo wrote:
> Wasn't that because Nintendo beat the X-box's first month sales in
> pre-orders and they had no choice?

I don't care what the reason was - it was totally out of order. Add to that my hard-drive failure and then finding out that the whole machine is a fire waiting to happen, and I just don't trust Microsoft.

> I'll get a revolution for the Zelda, Mario's and pure original fun.

You still consider Mario original? Sheesh!

> Won't get the PS3 as it simply does not appeal.

No, you won't get a PS3 because it's made by Sony! If Sony had withdrawn from the console market and the PS3 hardware was being released by Nintendo, you'd snap it up and be telling us all how appealing it is and how great it is that Ninty has finally grown up! :-)
Fri 12/08/05 at 01:59
Regular
"8==="
Dringo wrote:
>
> Won't get the PS3 as it simply does not appeal.

Bit of a daft thing to say considering there's very little known about the PS3 line-up etc at this time.

A revolution doesn't appeal to me at the moment mainly because there's very little to go on at the moment. Should I rule out buying one because of this?
Fri 12/08/05 at 01:30
Regular
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:

> As I've said elsewhere, after the crap that MS pulled last time with
> the Xbox, there's no way in hell I'd buy a 360 at launch. Maybe 3
> months later, when it's under £100.

Wasn't that because Nintendo beat the X-box's first month sales in pre-orders and they had no choice?

I'll get a revolution for the Zelda, Mario's and pure original fun.

I'll get the 360 for the quality adult software, the First Person Shooters and online gaming.

Won't get the PS3 as it simply does not appeal.
Fri 12/08/05 at 01:04
Regular
Hedfix wrote:
> *Anyway, don't you work with ex-VIS employees? You can hardly knock
> any other company's credibility if you're surrounded by such
> 'skilled' people.

I never once said the company I work for would be any better or brought that into the argument, I said it was based on what I said of an opinion of a lead programmer of a major company on the south coast ;).

The fact that I work with ex-VIS employees is down to being Dundonian, getting my first job without having to relocate several hundred miles and getting experience. It's a very small company and will never have as good or as bad a reputation as a company like Rare.

It's also no where near the scale of the company VIS was, which wasn't big to begin with, so I'm basically working with the best VIS had, and they are good.

I wont go into specifics of how many people work for the company I'm at, or even the name of that company, as it was only founded in May, but with a little leg work, you might be able to find out for yourself.
Fri 12/08/05 at 00:02
Regular
"8==="
Rare appear to have all but skipped a generation.

It'll be Perfect Dark Zero and Kameo that will show whether they've lost it, not the lightweight offerings they gave the Xbox.

Games take time, Rare have moved platforms a few times over the past few years (wasn't Kameo originally an N64 title - N64 to Cube to Xbox to 360... hmmm think that might take a while to update each time whilst making use of the more powerful console etc?).

Bonus you might want to re-think about Rare*.

We'll know soon enough when we finally get hold of PDZ and Kameo.

*Anyway, don't you work with ex-VIS employees? You can hardly knock any other company's credibility if you're surrounded by such 'skilled' people.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.