GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What Memory?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 09/03/03 at 21:33
Regular
Hey Guy's!

First thing first i don't have a clue about PC'S!

I'am currently using a PC with 20GB Hard Drive, ATI Graphics Card, AMD 350Mhz and 32mb memory. I just use the computer for net access and play games on my consoles. I want to upgrade the memory, but confused at which to go for and what my limits are.

Any help? Thanks!
Sun 09/03/03 at 21:33
Regular
Hey Guy's!

First thing first i don't have a clue about PC'S!

I'am currently using a PC with 20GB Hard Drive, ATI Graphics Card, AMD 350Mhz and 32mb memory. I just use the computer for net access and play games on my consoles. I want to upgrade the memory, but confused at which to go for and what my limits are.

Any help? Thanks!
Sun 09/03/03 at 21:39
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
Well, to be sure you'd need to find out what motherboard you have, however, it is most likely you need SDRAM memory, PC100 or PC133 should work.

Bear in mind certain operating systems have different maximums for memory, Windows 98 can use up to 512mb I believe.
Sun 09/03/03 at 22:07
Regular
you have enought hard drive space. an upgrade, id recomend a new pc to be onest. or if that aint in your weekly wages go for a memory upgrade. make sure you have a spare dimm slot, ( slots located on your mother board) you probably have one but its good to make sure.

Id recomend a 256mb upgrade. 512`s to much for your pc.
Sun 09/03/03 at 23:36
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Nasty boy wrote:
> you have enought hard drive space.

Ouch that really depends on what you do with your PC. The only things that really use space are MP3s and DivXs, if you're not in to all that 20gb is well more than enough.
Mon 10/03/03 at 00:02
Regular
well, he said he only used it for net use.

Ive got 80gb capacity

71.5gb used
5 gb free

I need to get rid of some stuff.

i take it you download films turbo nutter or were you just saying?
Mon 10/03/03 at 01:57
Regular
Think I'll maybe take it to a shop to be sure! I reckon there is enough space as it's a ATX Tower case. I download MP3 and DIVX movies and never used up the 20GB! At 1 point I had over 1000 mp3,s, but then again I have little software.

Though I feel Memory is of most importance at the moment, then I'll expand the Hard Drive later. Thoguh the computer is not the most powerfull it still works fine with the broadband and the components are from respectable companies. Would love to buy a new pc, but think i'll just upgrade 1 step at a time!
Mon 10/03/03 at 04:04
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Geoff274544 wrote:
> I reckon there is enough space as it's a ATX Tower case.

I know it's wrong to take the mickey out of people who aren't experienced with computers, but this is comedy gold!

The best thing you can do for that computer is upgrade the memory, like you say. You could use at least another 128MB, which will cost £20-25. Depending on what they ask for the fitting, I would strongly urge you to attempt it yourself, it's physically impossible to plug it in the wrong way up (although I have heard of someone hilariously doing this - imagine managing to plug a wall socket in the wrong way up to get an idea of how determined and stupid you'd have to be). If you do decide to fit it yourself, come back here for further advice.
Mon 10/03/03 at 07:51
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Nasty boy wrote:
> i take it you download films turbo nutter or were you just saying?

I've never downloaded any but if I could I probably would.
Mon 10/03/03 at 14:12
Regular
anyone can tho
Mon 10/03/03 at 16:50
Regular
Yea I think I'll fit the memory myself. I fitted the modem and CD Re-writer! Fitting the memory is'nt the problem I just need to know which type!

For instance if I was buying memory from SR i guess I would choose SDRAM DIMMs (168 Pin)? Then do I check the Motherboard for a free slot?

As for the DIVX i use the codec from www.divx.com The only problem is, that I never use the player to view the movies as it requires at least 64mb of RAM.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.