GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What Memory?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 09/03/03 at 21:33
Regular
Hey Guy's!

First thing first i don't have a clue about PC'S!

I'am currently using a PC with 20GB Hard Drive, ATI Graphics Card, AMD 350Mhz and 32mb memory. I just use the computer for net access and play games on my consoles. I want to upgrade the memory, but confused at which to go for and what my limits are.

Any help? Thanks!
Thu 13/03/03 at 22:15
Regular
Another thing you might need to know, your motherboard may not detect over 128mb Single dimm modules so if you are planning on more than 128mb (which i think you should) then you will need to buy more than 1 128mb dimm (2 would be enough) and not a single 256mb dimm.

c.b.
Thu 13/03/03 at 20:29
Regular
Hey AMD_MAN! Your spot on. I've decided to go with 128 memory! Will take a look at the motherboard 2morrow while I install a Internal ADSL Modem.
Wed 12/03/03 at 22:59
Regular
simm ram is twice the price
Twice as Cr*p
Mon 10/03/03 at 23:44
Regular
I assume you have an AMD k6-2 350 cpu and 32MB Dimm ram but may have Simm slots, the chances are you have both Simm (single inline memory module) slots are white and dimm (dual inline memory module) slots are grey, so first things first have a look on your socket 7 motherboard to see if you have 32mb simm or dimm ram as you probebly will not be able to have both simm and dimm slots populated, if you are going to buy 256mb dimm then you may aswell not use your 32mb chip at all.

c.b.
Mon 10/03/03 at 23:44
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Yes, but PC World's RAM is generic trash. £42 buys you RAM that is worth something.

However, currently £33 will get you 256mb of TwinMOS PC3200 with winbond chips, which basically the best RAM on the market.
Mon 10/03/03 at 22:39
Regular
WOH! 42 quid for 256 sd ram!

i got 256mb ram at PC WORLD! yes pc world for 25.99.
Mon 10/03/03 at 21:29
Regular
I used to download DIVX Movies on 56K and it was a nightmare. Especially on those File Transfer programmes on which u need a connection to stay on for hours whilst your in a queue. Even with Broadband those damn long waits can be frustrating. And then depending on what the other user is uploading. Sometimes your downloading on Broadband from a DSL user @ 2 KBPS which really ticks me off.

Though some times u can get movies which have been split up into different files which makes the task seem as if your getting somewhere.
Mon 10/03/03 at 17:58
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Nasty boy wrote:
> anyone can tho

Yes but on a 56k modem it isn't really viable.
Mon 10/03/03 at 17:53
Regular
"bing bang bong"
GG7005 is what you want, I reckon.
Mon 10/03/03 at 16:50
Regular
Yea I think I'll fit the memory myself. I fitted the modem and CD Re-writer! Fitting the memory is'nt the problem I just need to know which type!

For instance if I was buying memory from SR i guess I would choose SDRAM DIMMs (168 Pin)? Then do I check the Motherboard for a free slot?

As for the DIVX i use the codec from www.divx.com The only problem is, that I never use the player to view the movies as it requires at least 64mb of RAM.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.