GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"TimeSplitters rip-off"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 15/01/01 at 13:29
Regular
After spending about an hour completing the supposed story section of Time Splitters I was left wondering where the rest of the game is. The complete lack of FMV sequences is abysmal the story is non-existant, there's no no gore even when you shoot the head-off some stupid looking beasty.
Even going back to early first-person shooter like Doom and even wolfenstien there was a feeling for acheivement once the game was completed. Surely first person shooter have progress more than this.....having played the like of quake, half life and system shock 2 etc on the PC I am use to a much better gaming experience.

Have I been ripped off here or have I just been spoilt on a PC ?
Tue 16/01/01 at 12:40
Regular
"not dead"
renegade wrote:
you realise that there are split screen games on
> PCs also.

Yes, but if it's a case of sitting around a 14" monitor, with one person on a cheap joypad, and the other using the keyboard and mouse, or sitting around a 28" widescreen TV, with up to 4 people using the contollers that are best suited to the console, I know what I'd choose!

Obviously I understand that PC can be used for many other things, but in this case I was thinking merely in terms of multiplayer gaming.

meka_dragon PQMS8/00
Tue 16/01/01 at 12:14

That is
> almost my entire arguement when telling people why consoles are
> better than PCs!

There's a certain level of satisfaction that can
> only be achieved by humiliating friends! (In
> games)

meka_dragon PQMS8/00

This console against console against PC against my granny's dishwasher raises its ugly head.....you realise that there are split screen games on PCs also ? Some PCs are better than some consoles some consoles are better than some PCs ....... its the software that available for them that counts ...... and now a days most software is released over a number of platforms.
Tue 16/01/01 at 11:28
Regular
"not dead"
Wòókiee Møn§†€R wrote:
And when you
> annihilate an opponent on the net, you can't rub it in anywhere near
> as well as when they're sitting next to you!

That is almost my entire arguement when telling people why consoles are better than PCs!

There's a certain level of satisfaction that can only be achieved by humiliating friends! (In games)

meka_dragon PQMS8/00
Tue 16/01/01 at 11:08
"High polygon count"
> Ok, so I've got to play through the game twice more....to get all
> the multi-player level whippy do ! Could we not just have a bigger
> game to begin with ?

Because then there'd be no rewards for your progress, and you'd think the game was poor value with no extras? :-)

> As for blood models I thought the idea was to
> make it look messy ?

But why do you need it to look messy? If you're legging it around in a fight for survival in UT or Q3A, do you stop to look at the blood and meaty chunks of your ex-opponent? I wouldn't think you survive long if you do.

Don't get me wrong - I like blood and guts in games; Blood, Blood 2, Doom, Soldier of Fortune, Quake, UT etc. are all brilliant. But blood and gore is by no means a necessity, and I certainly don't think it spoils TimeSplitters.

> As a student, ssxpro, I'm sure you should
> have a couple of PC networks lying about college ?
8 player quake
> all in the same room each user with their own machine ?

Yeah, fair enough - but what about those who aren't at college or can't afford a PC? I certainly couldn't get 4 PC's or even 4 TV's in any of the rooms in my house, so a 4-player split-screen game is ideal.

And when you annihilate an opponent on the net, you can't rub it in anywhere near as well as when they're sitting next to you!
Tue 16/01/01 at 10:41
Regular
"Complete Banker"
Assuming that you've played any of the challange games you'll know that they aren't exactly easy and extend the life of the game considerably - not to mention that if you want to unlock all (60) of the playable characters it'll take you quite sometime.
Also I assure you that you mak have finished story mode on easy, but hard is much ....er.... harder! Some of the levels (ie Tomb) have a different map etc.
Happy blasting!
Tue 16/01/01 at 09:35
Ok, so I've got to play through the game twice more....to get all the multi-player level whippy do ! Could we not just have a bigger game to begin with ?
As for the challenge mode it's just target practice thrown in.

As for blood models I thought the idea was to make it look messy ?
As a student, ssxpro, I'm sure you should have a couple of PC networks lying about college ?
8 player quake all in the same room each user with their own machine ?
Even 2 player on a null modem cable kicks a**. The internet isn't the be all and end all.

The mapmaker thing is impressive and you can put a room together in about 5 mins.

Lastly I believe it to be a necessity to find faults in games, in the first case it helps developers improve their software god knows if we all sat about and said nothing we'd still be stuck with space invaders ? Secondly is this not a discussion board ? Finally I prefer to bother !

ps. I'll have to have a quick look at SSX this evening.
Mon 15/01/01 at 21:46
Regular
There is bound to be a reply saying that PCs are ready for the net already, and online gaming is great and all, and that the PS2 is not yet ready for the net.

This is true, but no matter what anyone says, the net cannot beat 2-8 people in a room all playing the same game. The net has a different atmosphere. You`ll already know this because at this very moment (if you`re reading this) you`re using the net to talk, and it doesn`t feel like a normal discussion at all does it.

I`m a student, and I spent a few hours today with 3 other guys playing Tekken Tag and TimeSplitters. That kind of fun is difficult to beat!
Mon 15/01/01 at 20:20
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Heh, touché...
PC isn't as good for multiplayer if you've got your mates round, you just end up sitting watching one person on a larger screen. Console = many people on at once, with ensuing fights et al...great fun
Mon 15/01/01 at 18:31
Regular
You say you completed Story mode in an hour. This means you are a liar, or you haven`t bothered with the harder difficulties.
I believe you haven`t bothered with the other difficulties, because if you had, then you`d know that once normal is completed, there are 18 miltiplayer levels, and the mapmaker (which incidentally only takes about five minutes to put together a decent level). Also, did you try the challenge mode? Or was that too hard to find on the mode select screen? Lastly, what does blood achieve other than making things look messy? If there was blood pouring all over the place it would look unrealistic like the PC attempts, which (though most people don`t realise it) totally fail to accurately model blood.

Would you please stop writing topics which start off as "This game sucks..." and other such intros, and in future explore the game a little first to see what else it has to offer. Maybe then you could voice your comments (Though I`d prefer it if you didn`t bother).
Mon 15/01/01 at 17:28
Wòókiee Møn§†€R wrote:

Gore isn't the be-all
> and end-all of an FPS game, mate! The lack of gore in TS was a
> deliberate decision by the makers of the game, as they didn't feel
> it would add anything, and they wanted to avoid BBFC age
> certification to maximise the audience.

Its the old story of maximising audiences or maximising sales......thou golden eye worked well. When your running about with 2 Uzis your should be expecting some carnage...if I didn't want any gore I would have bought a N64!!!

I admit the so-called
> "story" mode is very average, but it does open up
> extensive options for the arcade and multiplayer sections. Bear in
> mind that Q3A and UT aren't exactly swamped in storyline
> either!

Q3A is specificial for the multiplayer gamer...this is support by a large internet comunity - the PS2 doesn't even have access to the internet ( as yet ), so where stuck playing on a quater of the screen. It was also made clear that Q3A was a network version of Quake.

The same can be said for UT.

In short its pretty pointless having a PS2 game aimed at a multi-player market if you can't even access the internet.

The lay-out of the levels in Timesplitters is also pretty poor, your basically given the option of 2 or 3 corridors to go along..... Thou they're are some nice bits of eye candy.

Have a look at Golden Eye on the nintendo.....it beggs the question is Edidos (I think thats the software house) trying to give the PS2 a bad name ???

The real value of TS lies in the multiplayer modes - I
> also thought that TS was a bit tame after playing Story mode, but it
> really comes into its own when you have 2 or more players -
> especially in co-op mode. Get some friends round for a blast - if
> you still don't like it, you can always trade it in for money of
> somoething else.

I spent most of Saturday playing in multiplayer modes and yes they are great crack (chain-gun x 2). BUT as was previous posted on this discussion site there are only 4 levels available, shame, shame, shame. Do we have to spend week-ends on map maker designing our own games after paying £40 for someone to do it for us ?

The sooner Sony can sort out the 56K modem the better.....thou I wonder what way (if at all) the system browser would recognise a USB modem if I plugged it in ?? or how timesplitter would support it, download to the memory card and then run it ......it leads me to think what kind of OS sony are developing for their hard drives.....? windows CE ?? now that would be funny!!

As for trading it in at present where still waiting on a decent first person shooter ???

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.