GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Dont get your hopes up."

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 14/01/01 at 22:16
Regular
Even though im as bigger fan as the ps2 as its own memory card, i am getting a little concerned with people getting over the top about the upcoming features. Broadband, Hard drives and WAP mobile phones plugging into it all seem very glamarous, but theyre still a long way off. Why dont we all just concentrate on the classic games out now (like Timesplitters and SSX) and stop worrying about what power-ups might look like in Metal Gear Solid 2. Just dont get your hopes up and if the worst does happen (very unlikely!) at least we'll all be prepared.
Mon 22/01/01 at 14:43
Regular
It is perhaps true that the SNES was as good as you say, but I believe that it appears more succesful because now that the gaming industry has enlarged so much, the expectations are a lot higher. There are many good games released that are criticised for very small things, and it is very difficult to get a game right, where as six or seven years ago, there was less criticism, and more games were accepted.
Mon 22/01/01 at 11:09
Regular
"Party like its 2005"
I was into Atari, Sega, Nintendo, and now Sony. I think the best console ever released was the SNES. It had a huge amount of software support and the games were quality tested (nintendo seal of approval). Generally they let little cack slip through the net and everyone realeased lots of quality.
The SNES finished on a high, with Doom and Killer Instinct being 2 of the final releases. Amazing conversions on very old hardware. If Nintendo can get the same amount of quality with Gamecube, then I will buy one without a shadow of a doubt.
Why did I go for Sony from Ninty?? Because the playstation was a huge step-up from the SNES and the SNES had gone stale. Nintendo obviously hadn't realised this, but there were thousands (millions?) of people waiting to upgrade their SNES with new technology. If the N64 had come sooner, they would have recieved the hype that Sony did and the N64 would be leading the full life it's predecessor had.
(PS1 also had Squaresoft (FF games) and it was relatively cheap.)
Personally I think Sega have always been behind the times with hardware, although their games are very good. I upgraded from a megadrive to a SNES, and I have to say I'm glad I did, because I could have ended up with that CD32X thing or a Saturn. Talk about shafting loyal customers!

My point is - I have shifted loyalty four times already, as I'm sure some of you also have, and would be prepared to do it again if the machine with the right stuff came along. Call me a traitor if you like, but I'd rather look at the market objectively rather than buy a lemon because of bias.

Mon 22/01/01 at 08:46
Regular
I was Sega (the megadrive), then Nintendo(the N64) then sony. (Hehe, things are getting better!)
Sun 21/01/01 at 23:05
Regular
a thing about loading times is that it can get annoying in more ways than one. Take Driver 2 for example. its one of the 6 psx games i got and i have to say (bar loading time) the game is quality. but when u get on a level which takes many tries before u can complete, it becomes a bit tedoius. firstly u wait for the "please wait" ting to dissapear. loads for about 10 seconds then u have to watch the cut sceene for that level again and again. okay this may not seem like much to a psx "fan". but after playing on nintendo carts for many years it gets really annoying.

i admit one thing. i am a biased nintendo fan. i will get the gamecube on launch. another thing the 64 is dead. i think the no mercy mess up has put the nails in the coffin. but still i feel something for nintendo, i dunno what it is. u lot must feel the same for sony. but can u tell me one thing. before sony were u nintendo or sega? and are there any sensible world of soccer masters here?
Sun 21/01/01 at 21:00
Regular
Sonic the Hedgehog was a great game on the Megadrive when it was released. However, if it were to be released on the PSX (don`t reply sying it wouldn`t cuz its sega, cuz that`s irrelevant here) now, it would be considered a very poor title. When MGS2 is released on the PS2 it will be a fantastic game. Now, assuming that people bother to buy gamecubes when they are released, the only way they will beat MGS2 is to make an all new version, in that old Nintendo way. MGS2 should be out before the gamecublet, so the sonic thing will apply. Therefore MGS2 will be a reason for the PS2 to be more amazing.
Think more about the time of release ginger.
Sun 21/01/01 at 20:40
Regular
Let's get something straight 1. i dont think Zelda Majora's Mask is better than ocarina of time in fact although has more innovative ideas it has one major flaw, THE SAVE SYSTEM it is crap a while back i completed the Snow temple and got Epona and begun the Zora section but i had done all of this befor going back in time so i had saved at the annoying owl statues and to my shock, dissapointment and dispare the game crashed, which mean everything i had done befor had been wiped. this would had to be the only time i have ever thrown a Zelda game across the room.

And if i hear 1 person tell me the PS2 is better initally because of MGS2 WHAT! Dont these people know this is a future Gamecube game not PS2 only.

Sun 21/01/01 at 20:22
Regular
Sorry for writing so much on this topic, and has very little to do with the original question.
Sun 21/01/01 at 18:15
Regular
Can we admit that we are all biased?
I own an N64 and PS2, but I admit that I have a bias towards the PS2. I guess this is because its "the new toy" scenario. Anyway, no matter what anybody says, we all have our bias, so whatever we say will be one side or the other of the truth. To see the truth, you`ll have to find the middle mark between opinions. For example, below I stated that Zelda 64 2 (note I`m calling it what I was told to below) was no different to the original. This was replied to by a statement suggesting it was radically different. In fact I am sure its probably improved though perhaps by only a small margin (understandable given that it is on the same console, not a next-gen, and that the two games are both fairly new).
One thing that should be mentioned though is that (I`m not sure about this, but...) the amount of bias should be judged according to which discussion board you are on. For example on this message board it is probable that people with a sony bias (of some size or another) will out-number those who say for example are slightly more nintendo inclined, where as on the nintendo mesaage boards the stats will be reversed. It is my belief that those people who venture on to multiple discussion boards (including varying formats) are likely to have a different bias to those who stay on one board. In what way it will differ I do not know, as there are arguments to suggest it could be either way. It is possible that you may be so biased that you go to other discussion boards to say that your console is better than another (I`ve seen more than enough of these on the discussion boards). However it is also possible that you go to different boards because you are interested in more than one console. As for those who generally stay to one message board (like myself) we could be biased in that all we discuss is our particular console, or we could in fact be less biased because we don`t go poking our noses into other people`s discussions.
So I think its time we ended this part of the discussion and except that nobody here is telling the honest truth, and learn to work around it, and accept each others views...
Sun 21/01/01 at 15:44
Regular
Ant wrote:
Would you choose an okay game on N64, with no
> loading time, or a great game on PSX, with loading times??

Your talking about being bias and now this is bias.
If we don't have PSX we don't mind getting okay games.
Sun 21/01/01 at 14:05
Regular
"I like cheese"
ortega wrote:
> listen ant. i never started anything against ssxpro. i just had to
> reply when he started talkin about the two zelda games being the
> same. Now stop calling me bias aight. i've told u before i own a
> 64 and psone. i have 22 n64 games but i only have 6 ps games.
> WHAT does mean? absolutly nothing. Personally i just hate the ps
> because of the loading times. The main reason u may have more ps
> games than your mate with ten 64 games is because your ps games are
> cheaper right? as i always say its quality not quantity.

I suppose you're right.

But still, you hate the PSX because of its loading times??

Would you choose an okay game on N64, with no loading time, or a great game on PSX, with loading times??

Yeah, it's better to not have loading times, but some brilliant games like MGS hardly have any loading times.

Okay, so SD2 has long loading times, but surely it's what comes after the loading that's important??

Anyway, sorry I called you biased, I have a short temper.

And yeah, the games being cheaper is better, but nearly all of my games on PSX are the best you can get on PSX.

I suppose it's down to opinion.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.