GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Lord of the Rings"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 05/03/03 at 18:57
Regular
I've never really expressed how I feel about The Lord of the Rings before - so I thought I would make this post.
Never have I been so angry coming out of a cinema before. Why? I didn't know that I had to wait a year to find out what happens next! The Lord of the Rings are two of the best films I have ever seen and the third will be even better. After leabing the cinema I made a big decision: I read the books. And these books are the best books I've ever read. They have everything - Action, suspense, horror, and even romance. The Lord of the Rings covers every topic.
JRR Tolkin spent half of his life working on The Lord of the Rings and it shows. The newspapers stated "The English speaking world is divided into two groups - those who have read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, and those who are goind to" And I think I agree
The films are great too. The best film I have ever seen is The Two Towers, and secon is The Fellowship of the Ring. The Return of the Ring will be the best though.
There's one thing that people think they understand but actually they don't. And I thought I did aswell until I heard a song called "Gollum's Song" And then I understood. The thing people don't understand is Gollum. Frodo and Bilbo feel pity for him and so dose Gandalf. But why should we feel pity for this misrable monster? Because he has never been loved. Think about it - Gollum was kicked out of his village and named Gollum. He was left to die in the wilderness. But it wasn't his fault, it was the fault of The Ring. And Gollum himself, because who we really feel pity for is Smeagol. People kicked at him, spat at him and never felt anything for him. Gollum made Smeagol kill his cousin, it wasn't his fault. And then he was forced to run from the sun in the Misty Mountans for five hundrad years. Nobody was there for him. Can you imagine being alone in a dark cave for five hundrad years? That's why Gollum is the way he is.
Let's talk about The Ring itself now. The Ring makes you want it and to use it, but if you do then it will bend whatever you do to do evil. And everyone wants this Ring. But no matter what, if you use it then Sauron get's it. If Sauron gets it, Middle-Earth is his and he cannot be overrun. So what would you do if you had The Ring in your hand facing Mount Doom? Would you destroy it. We're lucky that The Ring is in the hands of a Hobbit - Hobbits show resistance against The Ring. But they still feel the same way.
That's part of the reason why the journy into Mordor is hopeless. Also, imagine going into Mordor. Orcs everywhere and The Eye of Sauron watching. How on earth can you get The Ring into Mount Doom with that?
The story opens bright and cheery to show things are going to get dark...very dark. Starting so bright and cheery and then going into dark has a great effect.
And so this is only part of the reason why I think The Lord of the Rings is the greatest thing to exist. Only part of it becuase when your faced with something so great words can't even describe it.
Tue 25/03/03 at 19:33
Regular
"Spunkeh Monkeh"
Oh, and don't refer to it as "The Ring". It's just a damn ring, with no capital. "The Ring" is a crap film nonetheless (the Japanese version far surpassing it), but it's still just good courtesy to think before you post.

Actually thought it might be something intelligent for a sec there.
Tue 25/03/03 at 19:28
Regular
"Spunkeh Monkeh"
Morius wrote:
> I've never really expressed how I feel about The Lord of the Rings
> before - so I thought I would make this post.
> Never have I been so angry coming out of a cinema before. Why? I
> didn't know that I had to wait a year to find out what happens next!
> The Lord of the Rings are two of the best films I have ever seen and
> the third will be even better. After leabing the cinema I made a big
> decision: I read the books. And these books are the best books I've
> ever read. They have everything - Action, suspense, horror, and even
> romance. The Lord of the Rings covers every topic.

I'm going to be in the vast majority here, but I find it hard to justify "horror" in a novel such as this. And does Lord of the Rings cover advanced thermal nuclear timeshare? I think not.

I'd rather see someone die in a blaze of machinegun fire than being stabbed, personally...

I think that Lord of the Rings is crap, if you haven't gathered already...
Tue 25/03/03 at 18:59
Regular
What was the prize? And final question?
Mon 24/03/03 at 18:02
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Was anyone listening to the radio one lord of the rings competition final? I would have one that easy, i wish i had entered now.
Mon 24/03/03 at 17:01
"Darth Vader 3442321"
"Frodo felched quietly and Sam spasmed in delight. He was thoroughly enjoying the attention of the ring bearer".

Pg 34: The Two Towers
Sun 23/03/03 at 19:58
"Tagline"
well of course he didn't!!
Thu 20/03/03 at 18:37
Regular
"Chris Morris"
No, but I mean Frodo definatly never said (or thought) that!
Wed 12/03/03 at 20:53
"Tagline"
If you do then you're a bit weird. Luckily you don't.
Wed 12/03/03 at 16:31
Regular
"Chris Morris"
> Pg 567 Return of the Kings
>
> Frodo lay on the steep crevise, exhuasted from his slow, wearsome
> progress. He looked to the pinnacle of Mount Doom and thought to
> himself "That's definitley not an open top volcano, and I'm
> jiggered if me and Sam can find the entrance to this fissure".

I don't remember that!
Tue 11/03/03 at 20:30
"Tagline"
The sagacious one wrote:
> cookie monster wrote:
> <=îl?é® BüLLé† wrote:
> There is actually romance in all of them, except the hobbit. Aragorn
> and Arwen and Faramir and Eowyn. If you have read he hobbit, and
> I've
> read all of them, you may wonder why Gandaly doesnt just get the
> army
> of Eagles back again so Frodo can just fly into Mordor and drop the
> ring in. And why don't treebeard and his crew do more than destroy
> Isenguard? They could take on Mordor too. Kill a couple of thusand
> orcs, then go home!
>
> A) Its not the Eagles problem, and Gandalf thought it would be
> taking
> advantage of them.
>
> Mount Doom is not an "open top" volcano and thus this act
> would be impossible, I rather suspect that the Winged Nazgul would
> also have some influence over this course of action...
>
> B) Treebeard and the other Ents only destroyed Isengard because
> Saruman had destoyed their friends, Sauron had done them no harm,
> and
> thus was not their problem.
>
> 20-30 Ents against Trolls, massive armies of Orc, Goblins and Evil
> Men? They'd never get beyond the Blackgate. I hope that Jackson has
> altered the final battle though, to include them in it. Ents vs Trolls
> would be akin to Ali (McBeal) vs Frasier.

The army of eagles would beat the crap Wraiths on their bird things, and could at least drop Frodo at mount doom. And as for treebeard his Ents could at least help in the battle at the black gate in retun of the kings, save alot of lives.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.