GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"web design - what do I need to know?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 03/03/03 at 08:52
Regular
I've decided that I need a hobby. I've picked web design. The problem is I know very little about it. I tought myself basic html (The stuff you can learn in a day)and I'm now trying to improve on that.

My question is, to be a good web designer what do I need to teach myself. The list of things I want to teach myself at the moment is:

xHTML
CSS
Javascript

other things I've heard about and I think I might need to know are:

Java
C (or C++, or whatever it is)
CGI

I don't really know much at all, so If you could explain what things I need to learn and why.

I want to be able to design semi-professional web pages by the end of the year, but I would also like advice on where to go after that. Which order should I teach myself in etc.

All help appreciated. I know this sounds a bit confused, but thats because I don't really know what I'm doing, which is why I'm asking for help.

Thanks
Fri 07/03/03 at 21:48
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
cjh wrote:
> Cool :)
>
> ok last question I promise :) (tonight at least)
>
> On the second line of each of the two links, you have:
>
>
> Is this required on all pages like the > "-//W3C//DTD ... etc etc is, or something that is just there to
> make you look clever???

Yeas. For xHTML and CSS to work correctly it needs to refer to the DTD and the xmlns. xHTML doesn't work properly without the xmlns declaration. So yeah, it's needed, and no, I didn't do it to look clever, i did it as it needs it to work and validate properly. xHTML carries the same coding conventions as XML, it has to be well formed, correct syntax and validated against a DTD.
Fri 07/03/03 at 17:10
Regular
how should a total beginner go about it? any help appreciated
Thu 06/03/03 at 22:51
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Cool :)

ok last question I promise :) (tonight at least)

On the second line of each of the two links, you have:

Is this required on all pages like the
Thu 06/03/03 at 21:28
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
cjh wrote:
> hhmm, when you said bad, you didn't mean a bad as I was expecting :)
:)

> One thing though, about the media="screen" bit. Did you mean
> within the > you used media="all".

Either
Thu 06/03/03 at 20:06
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
hhmm, when you said bad, you didn't mean a bad as I was expecting :)

Thanks for the corrections and tips,

One thing though, about the media="screen" bit. Did you mean within the area or within the

The "basic" css file is for basic CSS supporting browsers such as NN4 & IE4. NN^+ IE5+ and Moz recognice "@import" which allows them to import the details of "advanced.css". Older browsers will just ignore this. This gives you greater control over browser versions. In "basic.css", you define the body and body text, everything else goe into "advanced.css".

Finally... for proper use, add: media="screen"
Wed 05/03/03 at 22:23
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Just how bad are we talking here??

Oh, and the first link doesn't appear to work. But the second link works and looks good, is it the same sort of thing as the first link should be??
Wed 05/03/03 at 22:05
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
cjh wrote:
If you take a look at:
> http://ukchatforums.com/display_forums.php?groupid=2
> ... and then ...
> http://www.chrisjhaig.co.uk/SR_Sample/

And that's a bad example of correct use of xHTML and CSS1/2

Now for some Correct uses of CSS/xHTML including pseudo classes and contextual identifiers:

http://www.blackwellpublshing.com/socialpolicy
(validates against xHTML 1.0 Transitional, though there are a few no-no's with non correct use of special charachters)

or

http://wip.blackwellpublishing.com/wwwsubjsitescorp
(there's a slight issue in IE5 re the last two boxes in the centre column, but this is about as complex as your gonna get with CSS/xHTML)
Mon 03/03/03 at 19:48
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
I have set up a site which teaches you the basics of web design, and if you are like me, you will try to experiment with the code to learn new things. I read very little and was taught very little when I started my first site. It is very easy to work things out ofr yourself, just playing around with letters and code.

One of my most popular websites to date is NetWise. It is still under construction, and currently offers stuff which I would consider very basic, although these things may be quite advanced for you. No offense meant! Anyway, take a look at the site, clickon some of the available links and give it a good read through.

http://netwise.tk

Basically, all you need to make a good site is:
- A fairly basic understanding
- The will to make one
- A web browser
- Microsoft Notepad, MS DOS or WordPad

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.