GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Is this possible? PC/Internet Help"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 02/03/03 at 17:30
Regular
Rite well basically i have 2 pcs a good 1 and a crap 1. I want to change the crap 1 into a kind of music/data type thing. It only has 1 GB of hardrive and isnt useful for anything else so i figured this may be the only way it would get some use. Wot i basically want is the pc to load up a offline webpage as soon as it boots up. I want this website to all be offline (i can do this) and contain links to the mp3s that i have (they are on cds in there data format). So i basically want to turn my pc into a huge offline website.

What i need to know is it possible to: a) link to cds from webpages, OR once a link to a song is clicked is it possible to make a pop-up saying insert CD "so and so". and b) how can i make this website load automatically as the computer loads up?

Your help will be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance, btw sorry if this makes no sense im not too good at explaining things.
Sun 02/03/03 at 20:11
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Seems like you are trying to do something fairly complex by trying to make it all in a web page.

Javascript should allow you to click a link and have a pop up message telling you what cd to insert or another appropriate message.
Or even use a spreadsheet with the name of all the tracks and the cd album they are on.

I'll have a think about it, trying to get my head round exactly what you want and why you want it like this..

Will let you know if I can figure something out
Sun 02/03/03 at 20:10
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
makaveli666 wrote:
> i just need to know how to get it to run when the computer loads.

Putting a link to the site in your startup directory might work. This can be done by opening your webpage, and the startup directory (seeing as you know how to make websites, I would assume you know where this is) and dragging the ie icon from the address bar to the startup folder. However, I've never tried this method before, so don't blame me if it doesn't work :-)

If you do not know where the startup directory is - you might be able to find it on your start menu, or by right clicking the start button, and clicking open. But it differs depending on operating systems (I think), so I can't tell you where it is.
Sun 02/03/03 at 20:10
Regular
You could still get loads of mp3's on that hard drive, it would be much easier to just rip all the mp3's to the hard drive and maybe then put a cd with loads of mp3's on and run from there, it would be a lot of hassle to get it to link to the cd rom then to tell you to put the cd in, if you are trying to make a little mp3 box then you could just buy a bigger hard drive as storage and make your 1gig drive boot straight into winamp, an easy way to get something to run when you go straight into windows is to open notepad type

C:\winamp.exe

Then save this file as load.bat (or something) then put it into windows startup, so when you startup windows it should open winamp, the same should be able to be done with a web page?, there are far more complicated ways to do this but this would be the easiest.

c.b.
Sun 02/03/03 at 19:47
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
You can link files to the C:/ through a webpage...

Your idea with the pop-up saying 'Please Enter Disk One' would be the best you could do, everytime you clicked a file, it would have that pop-up and this would just make sure that you had the correct CD in...

If you didn't have the correct CD in then you would just get a simple error...
Sun 02/03/03 at 19:39
Regular
thanks for your help. 1 problem i have is that i only have 1gb of space on my old pc. thats why ive put all my music on to cds as data files in ther mp3 formats so i can fit more songs onto a disc. Ive got the site made already really with all the info i need etc.

i just need to know how to get it to run when the computer loads. As it now seems impossible that i can get it to say "Please insert CD 1" (i will have the cds numbered) and so on has anyone got any ideas of how i can make this work? I was thinkin of using a html pop up script to tell me wot CD to insert, but i really would like it to play the correct song was the cd is inserted in the drive! n e 1 got n e ideas?

Also is it possible to link webpages to the cd drive!
Sun 02/03/03 at 19:21
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
It's a bit tricky if you just want to link to different Cds, seeing as they all go through the D:/...

You wont be able to get messages up saying 'Insert Foo Fighters' etc...

What you could do is to get all your music and convert them to MP3s and store them on the PC, you could then have the page containing the C:/ link to each song so that once you click it, it plays...

I don't know if there are any programs that do it but I think you would have to design the webpage yourself, you only need to use Frontpage to make it, only needs to be basic...

I've missed out loads of stuff but I hope that helps slightly...
Sun 02/03/03 at 17:30
Regular
Rite well basically i have 2 pcs a good 1 and a crap 1. I want to change the crap 1 into a kind of music/data type thing. It only has 1 GB of hardrive and isnt useful for anything else so i figured this may be the only way it would get some use. Wot i basically want is the pc to load up a offline webpage as soon as it boots up. I want this website to all be offline (i can do this) and contain links to the mp3s that i have (they are on cds in there data format). So i basically want to turn my pc into a huge offline website.

What i need to know is it possible to: a) link to cds from webpages, OR once a link to a song is clicked is it possible to make a pop-up saying insert CD "so and so". and b) how can i make this website load automatically as the computer loads up?

Your help will be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance, btw sorry if this makes no sense im not too good at explaining things.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.