GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Are consolegames too expensive and can their price be justified??? What do you think???"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 13/01/01 at 12:18
Regular
Today I ask another question that needs to be asked:

Are consolegames too expensive and can their price be justified??? What do you think???

I remember the good old days of my Commodore64, I'd shell out the cash for a game every week or too, back then it only cost £2.99 for a game on budget, and people rarely brought the highly priced newest games (£10), although I admit I brought one…Golden Axe… a cracking game from Sega. Even then games were starting to get pricey, with NES games being the most expensive. Myself I moved quickly from the C64 to a Commodore Amiga, games on this system could cost up to £30, but then the games came on DoubleSidedDoubleDensity Floppy Disks an expensive medium which loaded a lot quicker than a C64 Cassette tape. However it wasn't till the advent of the Sega Megadrive and SuperNintendo that prices rocketed. When Capcoms Streetfighter II game came out on the SNES people were paying up to £80 for it (More for the faster imported US version). Ofcourse Streetfighter II was one of the best games available at the time, it was also on a cartridge and so had no loading time… in terms of hours of fun this game certainly made up for its price. I still remember when the import version was on display at the local shop - which became jam packed with kids wanting to play this virtually arcade perfect conversion for free.
The price could then be partly justified by the media - Cartridges, much as the cost of PerfectDark on the N64 can be justified today! However with the latest machines (PS1, PS2, Dreamcast) using the cheap Compact Disc media can the price of the games on these systems be justified. Should we pay up to £40 for the latest games???? What do you think????
Sat 13/01/01 at 14:44
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
lol... Whats wrong with PCF? Its THE ubermag :)
Sat 13/01/01 at 14:32
Regular
I still can't believe you said PC Format... :D
Sat 13/01/01 at 14:21
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
no way man... PC Gamer?!?!... they never stick to their convictions, the'll review a game, probably flame it a bit, give it 80%, then if the game, they'll say how they always thought the game was fantastic and that only they understood how it would affect the market... PCF may be a touch conservative and slow (and to be honest I use Net site for most of my game info), but at least they know what there talking about... :)
Sat 13/01/01 at 14:06
Regular
Looking Glass were killed because of uncontrolable piracy, and nothing is being done about it. It is a dear shame, and I hope Ion Storm can do well with the Thief licence.

PC Format! Jesus man! PC Gamer is the only magazine to buy, completely unbiased reviews, superb demo discs, and good fun to read!

I still can't believe you said PC Format!
Sat 13/01/01 at 13:45
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
There is always a big risk when publishing a game... (as Looking Glass Studios found out last year)... Games programmers on the whole are'nt payed all that well...

I always thought console games were enourmously overpriced, since everyone wanted a piece of the pie, the price just kept rising, especially since PC games are usually sold for at least 15-20 quid less and their now on the same medium... PS, Nintendo, Sega, etc.... know that people will have to pay what they ask, not only are kids screaming at their parents is also a good incentive, but as advertisers know the market(s) console games are aimed at are big spenders, they have the money and dont mind spending a lot to get what they percieve as the moment must have item...so they can and do charge the earth

I remember being hacked off when the cost of a full price game rose form 5.99 to 7.99.

But which mags would you use for this... PC Format is about the only good PC printed reviews mag left... The British Daily Radar PC reviewers dont even seem to like PC's...
Sat 13/01/01 at 12:22
Regular
"everyone says it"
I think that the games that you buy should be entitled to a price that matches the quality of magazine reviews.

say if a game scores 99% then I would pay up to £50 for the great game.

if the game gets 80% then I would pay up to £25.

ALtough this will never happen I thought I should let you know what I think would be a good idea.

er-no
Sat 13/01/01 at 12:18
Today I ask another question that needs to be asked:

Are consolegames too expensive and can their price be justified??? What do you think???

I remember the good old days of my Commodore64, I'd shell out the cash for a game every week or too, back then it only cost £2.99 for a game on budget, and people rarely brought the highly priced newest games (£10), although I admit I brought one…Golden Axe… a cracking game from Sega. Even then games were starting to get pricey, with NES games being the most expensive. Myself I moved quickly from the C64 to a Commodore Amiga, games on this system could cost up to £30, but then the games came on DoubleSidedDoubleDensity Floppy Disks an expensive medium which loaded a lot quicker than a C64 Cassette tape. However it wasn't till the advent of the Sega Megadrive and SuperNintendo that prices rocketed. When Capcoms Streetfighter II game came out on the SNES people were paying up to £80 for it (More for the faster imported US version). Ofcourse Streetfighter II was one of the best games available at the time, it was also on a cartridge and so had no loading time… in terms of hours of fun this game certainly made up for its price. I still remember when the import version was on display at the local shop - which became jam packed with kids wanting to play this virtually arcade perfect conversion for free.
The price could then be partly justified by the media - Cartridges, much as the cost of PerfectDark on the N64 can be justified today! However with the latest machines (PS1, PS2, Dreamcast) using the cheap Compact Disc media can the price of the games on these systems be justified. Should we pay up to £40 for the latest games???? What do you think????

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.