GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What are our favourite TV shows, and what shows would we like to see released on DVD????"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 13/01/01 at 12:16
Regular
The discovery this week of the origins of the "SmokedKipper" nickname, which is derived from RedDwarf leads me to ask this question:

What are our favourite TV shows, and what shows would we like to see released on DVD????

We already know we like "RedDwarf", but what other classics do we want to see on DVD. Special Reserve already sells some classics such as "Blackadder", but I'd like to see more. Comedy is my favourite genre, and so I'd like to see more comedy DVDs, my personal favourite series include the above mentioned and also "Bottom", "Father Ted" and the "Simpsons". It would be particularly nice if the "Simpsons" was brought to DVD soon, as episodes are only 22 minutes long and about 2 - 4 minutes of each episode is cut before the episode is screened on TV. DVD could include these extra minutes as a bonus, also if anyone's ever watched an episode of the Simpsons in America, and then the same episode here (i.e. A Simpson freaks like me!) they can not fail to notice that different jokes are cut out of each version. For example: on one episode Krusty curses the Global Positioning System on his boat (Cut from the UK version), whereas in another episode Marge yells at Santas little helper (The Dog) for mating on the kitchen table (Cut from the US version).

So what TV shows do you like Frasier, Baywatch, Startrek, Buffy, The X-files, Friends and are they on DVD yet?? And if not why not??? Have your say.
Mon 15/01/01 at 20:46
Just One, Ive got Three!
Mon 15/01/01 at 20:33
"possibly impossible"
heh heh. I know, I married one!
Mon 15/01/01 at 20:27
Useless at Spanish Myself, but the Spanish women are nice!
Mon 15/01/01 at 20:20
"possibly impossible"
I did think about getting Toy Story 2. I loved the first film and already have that on video (will be getting it on DVD from Spain)

Why do I buy some of my DVDs from Spain? Well, most of the DVDs here have strange choices for lanuage soundtracks, German and French, fair enough, but then it gets silly. There must be a big market for Arabic, Hungarian and Outer Mongolian out there (ok, so the last one was made up, but you get my point) so I get films from spain, as they have a spanish soundtrack and I'm learning Spanish at the moment (long time gameaday readers will know that my wife is Spanish, so this will make sense!)

Mind you, this can cause a few raised eyebrows when looking through my alphabetically stored DVD collection. Telecinios in Espace is not entirely easy to guess as Muppets in Space and the world certainly no es sufficiante for snr James Bond. Well, English is always the first and foremost language on the disc, but having a spanish soundtrack means I can learn while I watch.
Mon 15/01/01 at 20:04
Thats exactly it Smokedkipper, friends is just too strung together, too predictable. Still mildly amusing though
Mon 15/01/01 at 19:42
Regular
"Looking for freedom"
Frasier is passable, I suppose. It has it's moments but still rates poorly compared to the pick of out sit-coms. Friends is an insult to aspiring comedy writers everywhere. It's nothing more than a collection of gags strung together with just (barely) enough in the way of events to carry the episode from one gag pile to the next. Situation Comedy? Where's the situation? Where's the comedy?

I can't think of a single American comedy series (ever) that has got the formula right but many of ours, seem to do it effortlessly.
Mon 15/01/01 at 19:22
Well done pb youve won, what will you choose???? .... I dont think theres a KnightRider DVD! I recommend ToyStory2, but then I think that DVD is worth it just to see BuzzLigtyear Die in the first 5 minutes.
Mon 15/01/01 at 18:45
Sorry Im not a Mad freinds fan, I like it, its a professionally put together Comedy and is better than most of the other offerings on TV. But Frasier is so much better.
As for British Humour, I prefer the likes of
Bottom, The Young Ones, Blackadder, RedDwarf, Father Ted (sorry Irish) and that short lived TV show Brassed Eye.
Mon 15/01/01 at 18:36
What? How can you possibly not like Friends? It doesn't seem possible. I know a few people who don't like it and I can't figure out for the life of me how they can't find it at least a bit amusing.

It may not be the best comedy ever (or even of the decade) but it's one of my favourite comedy's ever, definitely my favourite sitcom. I suppose the humour doesn't appeal to everyone, and I admit it can get a bit cheesy and OTT.

I expect most people on this message board will like it rather than hate it - let's have a vote, yes let's! What other comedies do you all like? I gather you all like The Simpsons, but do you like British comedies such as The League Of Gentlemen, Trigger Happy TV or Big Train (when is it returning, anyone?)?

By the way, the Friends box sets come on 3 DVD's and costs about £60! THREE DVD's for SIXTY pounds, THREE DVD's for SIXTY pounds, just to spite you. Ha ha ha ha ha (evil maniacal laugh) ha ha ha ha ha (more evil maniacal laughing) haaaaaa....
Mon 15/01/01 at 18:31
Yes a series of the Simpsons would probably be spread over more DVDs than necessary if released(i.e. more than 2), although it would be nice to see them packing DVDs to the full.... if they wanted to give us something extra they could bundle a T-shirt or Simpsons Sountrack CD instead which I would appreciate more.
As for freinds, I dont mind the show now. I did hate it because all my buddies were crazy about watching it, but now Ive gained a tollerance. However its not up there with the best American Comedies such as Frasier.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.