GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What are our favourite TV shows, and what shows would we like to see released on DVD????"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 13/01/01 at 12:16
Regular
The discovery this week of the origins of the "SmokedKipper" nickname, which is derived from RedDwarf leads me to ask this question:

What are our favourite TV shows, and what shows would we like to see released on DVD????

We already know we like "RedDwarf", but what other classics do we want to see on DVD. Special Reserve already sells some classics such as "Blackadder", but I'd like to see more. Comedy is my favourite genre, and so I'd like to see more comedy DVDs, my personal favourite series include the above mentioned and also "Bottom", "Father Ted" and the "Simpsons". It would be particularly nice if the "Simpsons" was brought to DVD soon, as episodes are only 22 minutes long and about 2 - 4 minutes of each episode is cut before the episode is screened on TV. DVD could include these extra minutes as a bonus, also if anyone's ever watched an episode of the Simpsons in America, and then the same episode here (i.e. A Simpson freaks like me!) they can not fail to notice that different jokes are cut out of each version. For example: on one episode Krusty curses the Global Positioning System on his boat (Cut from the UK version), whereas in another episode Marge yells at Santas little helper (The Dog) for mating on the kitchen table (Cut from the US version).

So what TV shows do you like Frasier, Baywatch, Startrek, Buffy, The X-files, Friends and are they on DVD yet?? And if not why not??? Have your say.
Sat 13/01/01 at 12:16
The discovery this week of the origins of the "SmokedKipper" nickname, which is derived from RedDwarf leads me to ask this question:

What are our favourite TV shows, and what shows would we like to see released on DVD????

We already know we like "RedDwarf", but what other classics do we want to see on DVD. Special Reserve already sells some classics such as "Blackadder", but I'd like to see more. Comedy is my favourite genre, and so I'd like to see more comedy DVDs, my personal favourite series include the above mentioned and also "Bottom", "Father Ted" and the "Simpsons". It would be particularly nice if the "Simpsons" was brought to DVD soon, as episodes are only 22 minutes long and about 2 - 4 minutes of each episode is cut before the episode is screened on TV. DVD could include these extra minutes as a bonus, also if anyone's ever watched an episode of the Simpsons in America, and then the same episode here (i.e. A Simpson freaks like me!) they can not fail to notice that different jokes are cut out of each version. For example: on one episode Krusty curses the Global Positioning System on his boat (Cut from the UK version), whereas in another episode Marge yells at Santas little helper (The Dog) for mating on the kitchen table (Cut from the US version).

So what TV shows do you like Frasier, Baywatch, Startrek, Buffy, The X-files, Friends and are they on DVD yet?? And if not why not??? Have your say.
Sat 13/01/01 at 12:25
Regular
"Whatever!"
It would be great to see The Simpsons appear on DVD, thats gotta be my all time favourite show.
Also I would like to see Futurama get released - nearly as good as Simpsons but not quite. Beavis and Butt-Head is alright, South Park likewise - have these on video though but would quite happily exchange for DVD!!
Men Behaving Badly another great programme, I think you can get the whole series on DVD, Im not sure but I know you can get and have been tempted to get myself season 6 - the last ever series.
Sat 13/01/01 at 13:20
"possibly impossible"
I already have the Buffy box set and a fine set it is too. I also own the Prisoner DVD set, which I was lucky enough to get for Christmas. What I'd like to see is the eighties cult classics, like the A-Team and Knight Rider on DVD. Especially if they are in order.

Knight Rider et al are now on VHS, brought back in the form of a few jumbled episodes per tape. This renders collecting the things nigh on impossible, and means that you can't follow character development or find out why certain characters have been replaced or turn up out of the blue. So my main wish is to have a low budget selection of these classics in episode and season order, perhaps in a cheap box set. The Knight Rider one could come in a Kitt shaped box with a red flashing light on the front (or row of LED lights, similar to the Pink Floyd CD box) The A-team one you would have to make yourself, in an old garage with lots of handy spare parts that happen to be just lying there.

My full line up of cult TV would be, The Hulk, A-Team, Knight Rider, Catweazle and Worzel Gummage. How about anyone else?
Sat 13/01/01 at 22:08
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
There is one TV series I want to get above all others, including the Simpsons, on DVD.

Think about shower scenes, 10-Gallon hats, oil, and 'Who Shot JR in 1980'. Yep. Yessir. YeeHaw. Dallas.

Spanning 13 years from 1988-1991, and encompassing everything that was kitsch about the 80's, the series that glued America to its seat every night for over a decade. (Do they need glue for that, though?)

This is one series I would love to have in its entirety on DVD. I wonder how many discs it would take? Nevermind. Just thinking about all the 'Sue Ellen drunk' storylines, the 'Ken's the father of my baby' plots, the kidnapping of Bobby, the mysteriously shape shifting Miss Ellie, the no-necked poisoned dwarf, the so prim and proper Pam.....oh how I'd love my hands to get on that box set!
Sun 14/01/01 at 10:45
Regular
"Looking for freedom"
Jimmy wrote:
> The discovery this week of the origins of the
> "SmokedKipper" nickname, which is derived from RedDwarf
> leads me to ask this question:

Thanks for making my unveiling so melodramatic! If life was discovered on Mars today it would still only be the second most memorable event of the week.

Back to the topic, isn't is strange that The Simpsons hasn't been released in box-sets (with one for each series) instead of vaguely themed episode collections? That way you wouldn't get quite-funny-older-episodes mixed up with really-funny-newer-ones.

To be honest I can't see DVDs of TV series being very common yet. At least not until it becomes the dominant format in the home film industry and that won't happen quickly unless the cost of the discs comes down a bit (say about £15 each on the high street).

The SmokedKipper WILL be back for breakfast!
Sun 14/01/01 at 20:22
Well we all seem to like the Simpsons, although as you said its strange that on the whole the Simpsons are sold in Themed collections as opposed to by Series like most other TV shows.
Saying that I did see a Simpsons Series 1 box set, although it was quite expensive. Hopefully it will be released on DVD soon, Im sure an entire series with extras would fit on 1 - 2 DVDs. After all theres only 24 episodes in a series and each episode lasts for only 22 minutes.
As DVD becomes more popular its inevitable that these shows will be released on this new format.
Mon 15/01/01 at 11:44
Regular
"not dead"
pb wrote:
The Knight Rider one could come in a
> Kitt shaped box with a red flashing light on the front (or row of
> LED lights, similar to the Pink Floyd CD box)

That would be so cool!

David Hasselhoff could be back behind the wheel of Kitt soon! He's got financial backing for a Knight Rider movie!

And Fantasymeister wrote:
Some stuff about Dallas.

Did you see I Love 1980 on Saturday night?

It'll be great watching this series, as I was only 3 in 1980, so I'll remember more from each year that they show!

meka_dragon PQMS8/00
Mon 15/01/01 at 16:49
Regular
"Looking for freedom"
I think a 24-episode Simpsons series would probably be split across 4-6 DVD to make the public think they are getting more for their money.

I know you can get a Friends box set (about £60, I think) but I don't know how many discs each series comes on. I don't want to find out anyway as it's one of the worst 'comedies' I have ever seen. Any fans here?
Mon 15/01/01 at 18:29
Yes a series of the Simpsons would probably be spread over more DVDs than necessary if released(i.e. more than 2), although it would be nice to see them packing DVDs to the full.... if they wanted to give us something extra they could bundle a T-shirt or Simpsons Sountrack CD instead which I would appreciate more.
As for freinds, I dont mind the show now. I did hate it because all my buddies were crazy about watching it, but now Ive gained a tollerance. However its not up there with the best American Comedies such as Frasier.
Mon 15/01/01 at 18:31
Yes a series of the Simpsons would probably be spread over more DVDs than necessary if released(i.e. more than 2), although it would be nice to see them packing DVDs to the full.... if they wanted to give us something extra they could bundle a T-shirt or Simpsons Sountrack CD instead which I would appreciate more.
As for freinds, I dont mind the show now. I did hate it because all my buddies were crazy about watching it, but now Ive gained a tollerance. However its not up there with the best American Comedies such as Frasier.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.