GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Jackass: The Movie - An opinion"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 02/03/03 at 14:21
Regular
**I do talk about some of the stunts featured in the film - if you want it to be a surprise, don't read on. Cheers**

The suggestion of turning a half-hour television programme in to a 90-minute feature film is hardly a new one. Many action films were televised before given the Warner Bros treatment, along with kids cartoons like X-Men or Transformers (god bless the Transformers movies).

However, justifying a film budget for a bunch of stoned twenty-somethings to go and hurt themsevles sounds like a risky move on Paramount's part. Yet it paid off. Jackass: The Movie is a work of anti-pretty-much-everything genius.

Upon the opening of the film, it is hard to see how there could be a wealthy film company behind the movie. Apparently, the cameras used were more expensive, or higher quality or something. And the plane tickets to take the entire crew to Tokyo and back must have cost a fair amount. For the most part, however, the Jackass movie appears limited to showing injured Americans being sick over each other. Urinating on a snow-cone and then eating it is probably the sickest point in the film, although the bungee-wedgie idea and the butt-launched fireworks come a pretty close second.

The movie contains the usual Jackass crew; Knoxville and Margera tend to take the lead in most of their scenes (such as Knoxville being shot in the gut with a beanbag fired from a rifle, or Bam waking up his parents by letting of fireworks in their bedroom). Cameos include Eric Koston (who tries to teach JK how to 50-50, with painful results) and Tony Hawk and Mat Hoffman showing their stuff dressed up in fat suits.

The 90 minutes is filled with a mixture of self-mutilation, suicidal stunts (tightrope-walking over an alligator pool?) and Trigger-Happy TV style tricks. One of the highlights of the movie is the point at which Knoxville, Margera and one of their buddies get professionally made up to look really old, and then go on a shoplifting and electric-wheelchair-stunt-driving spree (Rocketing down a hill crying "My brakes! My brakes!" has to be one of the funniest things I've seen ever).

It's definately a lads movie (although there are copious amounts of male nudity from 'Party Boy' Pontius), but the 18-rating will have alienated most of Jackass' teenaged demographic. Yet the fact it hit number 1 in the American box-office simply proves the popularity of the skate-culture in society at the moment.

I loved this film. You'll love this film. Go see it. Thanks for reading.
Thu 06/03/03 at 13:44
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
The bungie wedgie was great!

And the golf course...

And the old man on the trolley thing, that was hilarious!
Wed 05/03/03 at 21:45
Regular
"Amphib-ophile"
Yeah - me and my friends at college do some similar stuff. Recently, we ripped the legs off some college chairs, and nailed flat pieces of wood to the undersides. Then we tied them to the back of a car, and dragged people sitting on them at high speed along a local dirt track. It's all on camera. We've also done some pier jumping and cliff jumping too.

Safe and fun, for the most part. Wouldn't want to go anywhere near the lengths the Jackass crew go though.
Wed 05/03/03 at 14:42
Regular
"All about the Beats"
Well the shop owners face was shown in the film, and they must sign something for it to be shown, so there must of been some conpensation of something. Was well funny, you cant beat the roller disco though.
Tue 04/03/03 at 19:11
Regular
"Amphib-ophile"
Mantis wrote:

> Ohh and when the guy went and Shat in the plumbing shop.

Do you reckon Paramount had to pay for all of that kind of Trigger-happy stuff? I'm guessing they would have had to, since there haven't been any recent lawssuits that I've heard of. Dead funny though...
Mon 03/03/03 at 00:33
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
I got a lend of a copy of the film, sshhh don't tell anyone.

Its a laugh. using your butt hole as a launch for fireworks was funny, as was when they shoved a toy car up their and went for the X Ray.

Ohh and when the guy went and Shat in the plumbing shop.
Sun 02/03/03 at 17:22
Regular
"Amphib-ophile"
allardini wrote:
>>That's right - 4 OUT OF 5!

I know what you mean. Same happened with my local paper (and they only gave the Matrix 2/5!). All the reviews seem to read: If you like this kind of film, it's worth 4/5. If you like your movies as cinematic experiences, then it deserves less than 1/5.

Who knows?
Sun 02/03/03 at 17:15
Regular
"hit the road jack"
Some tv guide magazine gave it 1* out of 5*'s

I think it will be great.. im only 15 so i havent seen the completed movie yet but ive seen a couple of programs on the making of it and i have the movie book.
Sun 02/03/03 at 15:47
Regular
"allardini's tagline"
Some people over-rate Jackass, some under-rate it. I think it's alright, cheap entertainment. What's shocking is that the Guardian, yes, The Guardian, who give 2-star ratings to every film that isn't made by someone old, gave it 4-stars. That's right - 4 OUT OF 5!
Sun 02/03/03 at 14:21
Regular
"Amphib-ophile"
**I do talk about some of the stunts featured in the film - if you want it to be a surprise, don't read on. Cheers**

The suggestion of turning a half-hour television programme in to a 90-minute feature film is hardly a new one. Many action films were televised before given the Warner Bros treatment, along with kids cartoons like X-Men or Transformers (god bless the Transformers movies).

However, justifying a film budget for a bunch of stoned twenty-somethings to go and hurt themsevles sounds like a risky move on Paramount's part. Yet it paid off. Jackass: The Movie is a work of anti-pretty-much-everything genius.

Upon the opening of the film, it is hard to see how there could be a wealthy film company behind the movie. Apparently, the cameras used were more expensive, or higher quality or something. And the plane tickets to take the entire crew to Tokyo and back must have cost a fair amount. For the most part, however, the Jackass movie appears limited to showing injured Americans being sick over each other. Urinating on a snow-cone and then eating it is probably the sickest point in the film, although the bungee-wedgie idea and the butt-launched fireworks come a pretty close second.

The movie contains the usual Jackass crew; Knoxville and Margera tend to take the lead in most of their scenes (such as Knoxville being shot in the gut with a beanbag fired from a rifle, or Bam waking up his parents by letting of fireworks in their bedroom). Cameos include Eric Koston (who tries to teach JK how to 50-50, with painful results) and Tony Hawk and Mat Hoffman showing their stuff dressed up in fat suits.

The 90 minutes is filled with a mixture of self-mutilation, suicidal stunts (tightrope-walking over an alligator pool?) and Trigger-Happy TV style tricks. One of the highlights of the movie is the point at which Knoxville, Margera and one of their buddies get professionally made up to look really old, and then go on a shoplifting and electric-wheelchair-stunt-driving spree (Rocketing down a hill crying "My brakes! My brakes!" has to be one of the funniest things I've seen ever).

It's definately a lads movie (although there are copious amounts of male nudity from 'Party Boy' Pontius), but the 18-rating will have alienated most of Jackass' teenaged demographic. Yet the fact it hit number 1 in the American box-office simply proves the popularity of the skate-culture in society at the moment.

I loved this film. You'll love this film. Go see it. Thanks for reading.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.