GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Backwards compatability confirmed at last!!!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 21/08/05 at 00:13
Regular
You need to have a Hard Drive in your 360 however, but it IS backwards compatible.
Sun 21/08/05 at 14:28
Regular
Game wrote:
> .... I read something on a website about giving nVidia an amount for
> every machine sold... So automatically thought it was for the
> grpahics chip.

Yeh, of course they will. It's how Nvidia makes its money.

MS are paying Nvidia for the GFX cards it puts in the new Xboxes.

:p
Sun 21/08/05 at 14:27
Regular
Basically:
The reason the PS2 could play PS1 games is because the processors in both machines have the same architect (Or similiar), most likely the x86 architect.

The Xbox and Xbox 360 have different processors, which means they have a different way of reading the game code. The 360 will need to emulate the x86 architect to read the games, which will be done via the HDD - the PS2 didn't have this problem because it had the same processor type.

The Xbox and 360 problem is the same problem that goes on between Macs and PCs (Although I think that problem is soon going to become void?).
Sun 21/08/05 at 14:26
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Oh.....

.....Right....

.... I read something on a website about giving nVidia an amount for every machine sold... So automatically thought it was for the grpahics chip.

My apologies.
Sun 21/08/05 at 14:19
Regular
The problem with Xbox games is that they are compiled in x86 assembly code and the 360 uses IBMs PowerPC assembly code..

It has nothing to do with the graphics chips as they are running on DirectX and are completely complimentary.

The new ATI is able to do everything the old card, which was DX8.1 compatible, can do.

That's why they need to have some way of recompiling the games, and has nothing to do with whether the new gra[hics chip can do what the old one can, because they CAN.
Sun 21/08/05 at 14:14
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
FantasyMeister wrote:

> Why not just do what the PS2 does? If you want to play a PSOne game
> on it you only need one emulator, and that's the one that's built
> into every PS2. All you need is one piece of software that turns the
> XBox360 environment into an XBox environment in the same way.

Yes, however the PS2 also housed some PSone hardware that was necessary to play the PSOne games... it definitely wasn't done just through software.

For every DirectX8 GeForce 3 that Microsoft would need to include in the 360 for seamless backward compatability, they'd A) Have to pay for the chip and B) have to pay a percentage of profit to nVidia. I believe the same is the case with the CPU, although that might not be necessary.

I think Microsoft are taking quite a few big risks. The non HD-DVD drive, lack of complete backwards compatability and, somewhat ironically, the low price of the machine could all cut the 360's life too short. When the PS3 comes out, it'll be the be-all and end-all of entertainment machines. If the 360 doesn't match the price, people will think it's not as good, if it isn't as powerful, people will stick with buying a PS3. I don't need a PS3. I won't use ANY of the features of the console other than the games-playing one... maybe to play the odd Blu-Ray film, but I don't buy DVDs anyhow. LIVE does it for me, but won't do it for all gamers... Microsoft need to market the hell out of the 360 and get it in homes before the PS3 is even out!
Sun 21/08/05 at 12:12
Regular
Emitime wrote:
> Because the Xbox 360 and Xbox are completely different. It's like
> trying to get a microwave to act as a toaster. It just wouldn't work.

It could work, but to get it to work would be mucho expensive.
Sun 21/08/05 at 11:59
Regular
"\\"
Because the Xbox 360 and Xbox are completely different. It's like trying to get a microwave to act as a toaster. It just wouldn't work.
Sun 21/08/05 at 11:46
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Game wrote:
> True. However, it's a widely known fact that XBOX games will only be
> 360 compatible through emulation. Whether or not the HDD comes with a
> shed-load of emulators remains to be seen. I imagine the HDD will work
> with the top 30 XBOX games or so, then Microsoft and other developers
> will add some emulators as free DLC over LIVE.

Why not just do what the PS2 does? If you want to play a PSOne game on it you only need one emulator, and that's the one that's built into every PS2. All you need is one piece of software that turns the XBox360 environment into an XBox environment in the same way.
Sun 21/08/05 at 01:42
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Indeed.

Maybe a program, then, that detects an XBOX disc, recompiles the data as it's read and buffers it on to the HDD.

It's all too complicated... they really should have considered this when they first started... I agree with dumping nVidia (but i'm an ATi fanboy).

Hopefully the X900 range will own.
Sun 21/08/05 at 00:53
Regular
[URL]http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=8996[/URL]

This makes it look somewhat more confusing though.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.