GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Modems, Routers, and Xbox..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 26/02/03 at 22:18
Regular
Well,

Some weeks after my early questions into Xbox LIVE and i'm still finding myself slightly bemused by the whole thing.

I'm not CURRENTLY connected to Broadband, but I have placed an order with Freeola and have my start pack/modem etc. ready for when i'm connected in a few days.

Now... I have an external USB modem. What i've been led to beleive is that i'll have to go THROUGH the PC to use Xbox LIVE. This, i'm informed, is a fairly straightforward procedure with a relatively cheap network card (NIC?) and a few leads. However, this obviously means that I will have to be close to my PC whenever I want to use Xbox LIVE.

I've just noticed a DIFFERENT Broadband connection possibility though. In the ADSL section of the Special Reserve site as well as internal and external ASDL modems, a router/modem combination is listed.

If i'm understanding what i've seen in Xbox LIVE setup diagrams is true, with a router i'm basically able to plug both my PC and Xbox into the router, which is in turn plugged into my modem which leads into my broadband connection.

Now, in this instance I can't see the Xbox actually running THROUGH the PC. I just assume that they go through the same central box and are therefore not strictly connected.

Does this therefore mean that I don't have to have the PC on to play Xbox LIVE (which i'm presuming would be the case otherwise). By the same token, would that then mean I could theoretically run the router/modem without having to be near the PC? (may be a stupid question but I can see a certain logic to the idea)

If anyone can answer either of my above questions i'd be extremely grateful. I hope that if my assumptions are correct and a router would theoretically be a better way of linking up the Xbox, then I still have a chance to return my modem and change it for the router.

Cheers for your help ...
Thu 27/02/03 at 19:40
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
Yes, my friend connected through his PC so he could use his xbox online although this isn't much good if your using a usb modem, i'm not sure how many people use 2 NICs on their PCs.

If you do have a usb modem, get a NIC, connect your xbox to your pc, download some program off the net and you can play games which allow 'system link' type games.
Thu 27/02/03 at 19:15
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
I've got an ethernet cable...

Can I just stick that into the NTL modem, and into my Gamecube and have it work?

If I can't, sod it! I'm not buying more stuff!
Thu 27/02/03 at 18:46
"www.Freeola.info"
Please bear in mind that we have not actually seen the Xbox broadband ‘modem’ in the flesh so to speak, so do not take any of the following information as a fact. Until we have had one and tested it, we are not going to commit to anything, but we are fairly confident this will work.

This information should also apply the Game Cube as well, because they to describe a broadband ‘modem’ and we would describe it as a network card that allows you to connect to a LAN (Local Area Network) that is intern connected internet.

You do not need to go to all of the expense of a router, network hubs etc.

One thing that is not explained is that no matter what method you choose, you are going to need a PC. If you go for just the router option, you are still going to need to connect to the router via a PC to set it up in the first place.

The easiest way for you to set this up is as follows:

Install the modem on your PC and set up so that the PC can connect through the ADSL modem and surf the web.

Install a network card in the PC.

You need to set the PC to act as a gateway between the LAN and the internet. By far the easiest way of doing this is to install a piece of gateway software on the PC. I would strongly recommend a piece of software called Wingate. (Technical Note: Wingate also acts as a DHCP server for you LAN – It will assign all other devices on you LAN with IP addresses and DNS information) Wingate is available as a free trial for one month and then it is about £35 (don’t quote me on the price) but it is money well spent.

If you just want to connect only 2 devices on a LAN you don’t actually need a hub. You can do this by using an RJ45 Cross over cable rather than the normal RJ45 twisted pair cable (I know they sound the same thing but they are different).

Connect the Xbox/Game Cube to the PC’s network card with the RJ45 Cross over cable and ‘in theory’ that should just work. The DHCP in Wingate will automatically assign all relevant IP addresses etc. You can now play online with your console and surf on the PC at the same time.

NOTE for multiple PC users:
You can use this method to share you connection with more than one PC as well. Install Wingate on the gateway PC and put a network card in the other PC(s). In the TCP/IP setting in the properties for the network card on the other PC(s) set it to automatically assign IP addresses and DNS servers. Also, in the internet options, set it to never dial a connection. Now connect it to the gateway PC ant it will be online.

If you are connecting more that 2 PC’s you will need a network hub and use RJ45 twisted pair cables (not cross over cables). Then all the PC’s can surf at the same time. They can also game online at the same time as well.
Thu 27/02/03 at 16:12
Regular
Right, what you need to do is set up a home network if you want to have both the PC and the Xbox connected at the same time without having to switch cables every time you want to play on a different system, or want to connect both to the internet at the same time.

The way things work is that when your cable modem is turned on, it is assigned an address by your ISP, and this is what controls the data transfer between your modem and your ISPs server.

Most ISPs limit you to having only one IP address, and therefore only one piece of equipment can be connected to the internet at any one time, in your case either you PC or your Xbox. If you want to connect two devices at the same time, or have no way of connecting your Xbox directly to the modem through an RJ45 (standard network) cable, then you need to find a way for a network between the devices to share your IP between two devices.

With a router, the router itself is connected to the cable modem. All of the internet traffic is intercepted by the router and then passed to the correct device which the data is intended for. In this way both the PC and the Xbox can be connected to the internet at the same time, however remember that this shares the bandwidth between the systems, and reduces the overall speed of each connection in a more complicated way than simple dividing it equally.

Your other option is to install a network card in your PC and set up Internet Connection Sharing, which is simply a software version of a router, and sees your PC acting as a router itself.

The benefit of having a router is the fact that you can add more devices to your network, so when the PS2 and Gamecube go online, it will be a simple case of hooking them up to the router, not so simple with a PC software router.

Most hardware routers also come with built in Firewalls which protect your network from would be hackers and port scanners. As this is done by the hardwrae itself, all devices will be covered, and your PC will not have another added overhead of having to act as a safeguard server for all your precious hardware.

The simplest option is even better however. If your cable modem has USB out and RJ45 out. Connect the PC to the USB, and connect the Xbox to the RJ45. The first system you turn on ,after powering down the cable modem and back on again, and connect to the internet will have exclusive access, this is a pain in the backside if people on the PC have to turn it off so that you can play the Xbox online however.
Thu 27/02/03 at 00:28
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Good post - people, this is how you're supposed to write plea's for information, not "it dont werk wot shudd i do".

You say you've already got your pack from Freeola containing your USB modem. Chances are you've already shelled out the wrong side of £60 for this, so you really don't want it to be obscelete. The router/modem is likely to be one unit, so your 'old' modem will be redundant if you go that route. It is possible to buy routers into which you can plug USB modems, but there is no point in your case. You are concerned with the length of the network cable between the Xbox and your PC - don't be, they can be up to 100 metres long before the drop in signal level starts being a nuisance.

Returning your modem and getting a modem/router would give you the advantage that your PC wouldn't have to be on to use Xbox Live, and you'd probably get a (marginally) more reliable connection. However you'll have to set it up, which means a load of remote connection software malarkey which can be very bewildering to the novice. If I were you, I'd stick with the gear you've got at the moment, it'll be easier to set up for sure.

What you need is a Network Card (yes, a NIC) for your PC and a category 5 (CAT5 for short) network cable of the appropriate length between your PC and your Xbox, you can get these from Maplins/PC World (although check your PC hasn't already got a network card - I have one built into my motherboard). Check your Xbox live manual to see if you need normal CAT5 cable or (much more likely) crossover cable. You will also need to enable connection sharing on Windows, you'll need to tell us what version of Windows you have for us to help you further there :O)
Wed 26/02/03 at 22:18
Regular
"Is'not Dave... sorr"
Well,

Some weeks after my early questions into Xbox LIVE and i'm still finding myself slightly bemused by the whole thing.

I'm not CURRENTLY connected to Broadband, but I have placed an order with Freeola and have my start pack/modem etc. ready for when i'm connected in a few days.

Now... I have an external USB modem. What i've been led to beleive is that i'll have to go THROUGH the PC to use Xbox LIVE. This, i'm informed, is a fairly straightforward procedure with a relatively cheap network card (NIC?) and a few leads. However, this obviously means that I will have to be close to my PC whenever I want to use Xbox LIVE.

I've just noticed a DIFFERENT Broadband connection possibility though. In the ADSL section of the Special Reserve site as well as internal and external ASDL modems, a router/modem combination is listed.

If i'm understanding what i've seen in Xbox LIVE setup diagrams is true, with a router i'm basically able to plug both my PC and Xbox into the router, which is in turn plugged into my modem which leads into my broadband connection.

Now, in this instance I can't see the Xbox actually running THROUGH the PC. I just assume that they go through the same central box and are therefore not strictly connected.

Does this therefore mean that I don't have to have the PC on to play Xbox LIVE (which i'm presuming would be the case otherwise). By the same token, would that then mean I could theoretically run the router/modem without having to be near the PC? (may be a stupid question but I can see a certain logic to the idea)

If anyone can answer either of my above questions i'd be extremely grateful. I hope that if my assumptions are correct and a router would theoretically be a better way of linking up the Xbox, then I still have a chance to return my modem and change it for the router.

Cheers for your help ...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.