GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Classic kids programs on DVD"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 11/01/01 at 20:46
Regular
I know you can already buy The Flumps and Bagpuss on DVD but what other classic kids series should be brought back to life with loads (if not all) episodes on DVD.

Remember Pidgeon Street? Imagine a DVD crammed with every episode ever made! With subtitles on you could sing along with Long Distance Clara or Mr Makadoo the pet shop owner. Anyone who spends anytime babysitting (or has kids of their own) would surely appreciate sharing their memories with the children of today (that would be my excuse, anyway).

What about Trap Door? It was repeated a few times on Channel 4 a while back and it was great! Not just for the nostalgia factor, it was genuinely entertaining.

How about Danger Mouse! A friend of mine had a Video On Demand service (from Kingston Communications) installed and it included loads of episodes of it. Even though I'm now 21 I still found it really funny - laugh out loud funny in fact. There were so many gags there that I was just too young to understand when it was in its prime.

Loads of rubbish old films (called 'classics' to make them more marketable) are released all the time. Why not whack out a couple more truly classic TV series?

The idea in itself is a reason enough to have children so that buying the discs was slightly less embarassing.
Sun 14/01/01 at 15:51
Really? Supurb.. I might have to check out the region 1 sites then ;)
Sat 13/01/01 at 02:15
Regular
Oh just thought, Transformers should be coming to DVD within a year. The movie is already available from the States on DVD! You can guess that I'm some sad guy who spends a LOT of time on the net.
You should check out geocities.com /Area51/Station/6563/index.html
They have loads of stuff on Transformers!! Even some dodgy songs some weirdo made up, and stuff about the comics too!!
Also check out planetanime.com, they are selling original Transformer toys, like Ultra Magnus and even the original Megatron!!
Sat 13/01/01 at 02:08
Regular
Sorry I meant Battle of the Planets, not Galaxy, Doh!
Sat 13/01/01 at 02:06
Regular
Tiamat, the dragon from Dungeons and Dragons was called Tiamat I think. It was one of the best cartoons ever. I don't know if they are still doing it now, but Fox Kids were showing Dungeons & Dragons, Eagle Riders (American name for Battle of the galaxies) I think it was the second series, and Ulysses 31 (American name again). I also think that Bravo had been showing the first series of Battle for the Galaxy.
Another great cartoon was Robotech, does anyone remember that? It was an American kinda Manga type thing where these dudes flew around in these cool jets that transformed into big robots. It rocked. I know they have realised the entire series on video, which is still available. I think it sparked off the whole Macross series of things, which anyone who knows Manga would have heard of. They are redoing it, or making a sequel I think, the website www.robotech.com is worht checking, but there's not a lot there at the mo'.
About Cities of Gold, I think the production company, some French geezas, are working on getting it all on DVD. I did hear that a while ago, but it was on their website, someone like Canal or something. If anyone has any further news on that I'd love to know.
Sat 13/01/01 at 01:06
Regular
pb wrote:
> I'd like to add the 80's favorite Battle of the Planets (G-Force) to
> that list. It was one of the first 'manga' style cartoons in Japan
> and certainly broke new ground here too. The first series has just
> started to be rereleased here, I noticed it in the shops the other
> day, and it would be great to get it on DVD as well.

Perhaps
> they sell the original Gatchaman on DVD in Japan? I'd prefer to get
> that, the story isn't so diluted, but what are the chances of
> English subtitles. Oh well!

If you have SKY, check out BRAVO, as they show Battle of the planets everyday:)
Fri 12/01/01 at 20:18
Yeah I remember Cities of Gold and Ulyses (I can't spell it either), but the two series I most like to get transferred to DVD are Transformers and Mask.

Now they rocked.
Fri 12/01/01 at 20:11
Regular
"Looking for freedom"
For loads of general TV nostalgia check out:

www.tv.cream.org/

and for kids TV (many with downloadable theme tunes!) look at

www.sausagenet.com

The second one has undergone a big revamp since I last looked at it ages ago. It also has links to fan sites for loads of the programmes as well.

That's where I found out that the name of the seven headed dragon from D&D is....

Tiamat!

When I heard there was a film called Dungeons & Dragons on the way I nearly died with excitement. I also nearly died with disappointment when I found out it's based on the game and not the series of the same name.
Fri 12/01/01 at 19:39
"possibly impossible"
I'd like to add the 80's favorite Battle of the Planets (G-Force) to that list. It was one of the first 'manga' style cartoons in Japan and certainly broke new ground here too. The first series has just started to be rereleased here, I noticed it in the shops the other day, and it would be great to get it on DVD as well.

Perhaps they sell the original Gatchaman on DVD in Japan? I'd prefer to get that, the story isn't so diluted, but what are the chances of English subtitles. Oh well!
Fri 12/01/01 at 18:33
Regular
Anyone remember Cities of Gold? & Ulysyses (gotta spelt wrong)i can never remmber how they ended hehe
And bring out Thomas the tank engine on DVD....the old ones with Ringo doing the talking:)
Fri 12/01/01 at 18:22
Regular
"Whatever!"
Venger thats it, where did Vader come from?? I cant for the life of me remember teh Dragons name either!!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.