GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Classic kids programs on DVD"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 11/01/01 at 20:46
Regular
I know you can already buy The Flumps and Bagpuss on DVD but what other classic kids series should be brought back to life with loads (if not all) episodes on DVD.

Remember Pidgeon Street? Imagine a DVD crammed with every episode ever made! With subtitles on you could sing along with Long Distance Clara or Mr Makadoo the pet shop owner. Anyone who spends anytime babysitting (or has kids of their own) would surely appreciate sharing their memories with the children of today (that would be my excuse, anyway).

What about Trap Door? It was repeated a few times on Channel 4 a while back and it was great! Not just for the nostalgia factor, it was genuinely entertaining.

How about Danger Mouse! A friend of mine had a Video On Demand service (from Kingston Communications) installed and it included loads of episodes of it. Even though I'm now 21 I still found it really funny - laugh out loud funny in fact. There were so many gags there that I was just too young to understand when it was in its prime.

Loads of rubbish old films (called 'classics' to make them more marketable) are released all the time. Why not whack out a couple more truly classic TV series?

The idea in itself is a reason enough to have children so that buying the discs was slightly less embarassing.
Thu 11/01/01 at 20:46
Regular
"Looking for freedom"
I know you can already buy The Flumps and Bagpuss on DVD but what other classic kids series should be brought back to life with loads (if not all) episodes on DVD.

Remember Pidgeon Street? Imagine a DVD crammed with every episode ever made! With subtitles on you could sing along with Long Distance Clara or Mr Makadoo the pet shop owner. Anyone who spends anytime babysitting (or has kids of their own) would surely appreciate sharing their memories with the children of today (that would be my excuse, anyway).

What about Trap Door? It was repeated a few times on Channel 4 a while back and it was great! Not just for the nostalgia factor, it was genuinely entertaining.

How about Danger Mouse! A friend of mine had a Video On Demand service (from Kingston Communications) installed and it included loads of episodes of it. Even though I'm now 21 I still found it really funny - laugh out loud funny in fact. There were so many gags there that I was just too young to understand when it was in its prime.

Loads of rubbish old films (called 'classics' to make them more marketable) are released all the time. Why not whack out a couple more truly classic TV series?

The idea in itself is a reason enough to have children so that buying the discs was slightly less embarassing.
Thu 11/01/01 at 20:51
Regular
"Looking for freedom"
Before anyone points it out, I realise that I spelled 'programmes' wrong in this topic name. I'm more used to writing that word to refer to a computer program rather than a television one.

If it happens again, the first person to point it out has permission to shoot me.

No where too dangerous though. Maybe on my leg, near the side and not my chest or face or anything like that.
Thu 11/01/01 at 23:35
Actually I find it quite disturbing to watch the old Kids TV programms of yesteryear. Its like playing an old videogame...the memory is better than the reality. Some of those old kids TV shows were bad....bad but not as bad as the tellytubbies!
Fri 12/01/01 at 01:55
Regular
"Whatever!"
Does anyone remember Dungeons and Dragons?? This was my favourite cartoon as a kid and one which I would love to see even now. They should release every episode on DVD that would be cool!! Who could forget the adventures of the Dungeon Master and the seven headed dragon squaring off against Vader, yeah that was a brilliant series!!
Fri 12/01/01 at 02:05
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
If it came out on DVD I'd get it:

Pink Panther
The Clangers
Champion the Wonderhorse
Buck Rogers (b/w)
Flipper
Pitkins (Hartley Hare et.al.)
Basil Brush
Vision On
Morph
SwapShop (PoshPaws)
Fri 12/01/01 at 09:55
Regular
"Looking for freedom"
Mattyboy wrote:
Who could
> forget the adventures of the Dungeon Master and the seven headed
> dragon squaring off against Vader, yeah that was a brilliant
> series!!

You, for one, have forgotton it to some extent because the bad bloke in black and red with the one horn was called Venger, not Vader.

I'm wrecking my brain now to try and think what the dragon was called!
Fri 12/01/01 at 10:05
I've been told I look like Eric, the cowardly Cavalier on more than one occasion. Think of me like that from now on. Ask monkey_man, he will tell you all you need to know about Kids TV.
Fri 12/01/01 at 18:22
Regular
"Whatever!"
Venger thats it, where did Vader come from?? I cant for the life of me remember teh Dragons name either!!
Fri 12/01/01 at 18:33
Regular
Anyone remember Cities of Gold? & Ulysyses (gotta spelt wrong)i can never remmber how they ended hehe
And bring out Thomas the tank engine on DVD....the old ones with Ringo doing the talking:)
Fri 12/01/01 at 19:39
"possibly impossible"
I'd like to add the 80's favorite Battle of the Planets (G-Force) to that list. It was one of the first 'manga' style cartoons in Japan and certainly broke new ground here too. The first series has just started to be rereleased here, I noticed it in the shops the other day, and it would be great to get it on DVD as well.

Perhaps they sell the original Gatchaman on DVD in Japan? I'd prefer to get that, the story isn't so diluted, but what are the chances of English subtitles. Oh well!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.