GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Favourite Online Experiences"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 21/11/08 at 11:29
"possibly impossible"
The Horde mode on Gears of War 2 has reminded me that online co-op and vs matches can provide great opportunities for some of the best gaming moments you'll ever experience.

The difference in playing with or against real people, rather than bots or AI, is very marked when you try it for the first time and that feeling never goes away.

Really, Online gaming is an idea that can be traced back to the first multiplayer games such as Gauntlet 2 that saw 4 players on a quest, having to work together to get through the growing hordes of enemies. Online means that it's a slightly different situation, you won't get to see the look on your team-mate's faces but you'll need to communicate much more if you want to survive.

My first memory of online gaming as a team was a boat mission in Counter Strike on the PC. I hadn't a clue what I was doing, but I was led through the mission by friends and that made all the difference. At the same time I was happy playing Deathmatch games on the original Unreal Tournament, something I still do occassionally these days.

Fast forward some time and Crimson Skies became my favourite online game of the last generation, with Mech Assault 2 not being far behind. I found myself taking newbies through their paces in Skies, something I'm happy to do as I expect others to do the same if I'm new to a game. In my opinion, Crimson Skies was the best online game of that generation, even better than Halo 2.

Frontlines has made for some good set-piece style action moments. A bunch of us appearing on a hillside, only to face an even bigger army on the other side of the satellite we were protecting. As all seemed lost, the sound of a helicoptor faded in and our air support arrived to save the day.

Of course, Horde is my current favourite, with COD4 still getting a good dusting off and Warhawk, Frontlines and Bad Company bringing up the rear.

4 of us protecting the stairs and winning out against insummountable odds is hard to beat, with GOW2's winning formula of graphics, the range of nasty Locust, each with their own unique styles and the sheer ease of online multiplayer it all comes together to make for some very memorable experiences.

So what I want to know is; what are your experiences and best memories of online gaming so far? What are you looking forward to?
Fri 21/11/08 at 15:36
Regular
"Opposable thumbs"
Emmie87 wrote:
> Simian - is yoru dreamcast dead?? Power Stone on Dreamcast was
> magic, loved that game, think they should make a new one on the
> Xbox or Ps3
>
> Would buy it very quickly - with online of course

Nah, I just mean its dead as in the console is not about anymore. It died (in a business sense) before it should have :(

It had all the making of a great console - cracking games like the almighty powerstone series, loads of RPGs, jet set radio, metropolis street racer (which the Project Gotham series are the spiritual sequels), shen mue.

My console is in fine shape, well, apart from the random resets.... :P
Fri 21/11/08 at 14:54
Regular
"THFC"
pb wrote:
> I too loved the Dreamcast, though Choo Choo Rocket was a manic
> game.
>
> I miss my Saturn more though, especially around this time of
> year when I could be playing NiGHTS.
>
> hm.....ebay....

Never owned a Dreamcast or a Saturn, had every Nintendo Console going i think and had Psx - Ps3

I remember getting my Psx and FF7 - did 11 hours and the memory card corrupt, luckily i went back and did everything, or else i would have missed out on a great game and probably hated RPG's lol
Fri 21/11/08 at 14:45
"possibly impossible"
I too loved the Dreamcast, though Choo Choo Rocket was a manic game.

I miss my Saturn more though, especially around this time of year when I could be playing NiGHTS.

hm.....ebay....
Fri 21/11/08 at 14:39
Regular
"THFC"
Simian - is yoru dreamcast dead?? Power Stone on Dreamcast was magic, loved that game, think they should make a new one on the Xbox or Ps3

Would buy it very quickly - with online of course
Fri 21/11/08 at 14:26
Regular
"Opposable thumbs"
I too started with Counterstrike, along with Unreal Tournament and Quake 3. UT was definitely my favourite out of the 3 mainly due to the epic (at the time) amount of people being able to join a match, plus some fantastic modes - the best, imo, being the objective based ones. Storming a seaside fortress in the style of some sort of futuristic saving private ryan beach landing was a great moment.

Battlefield 1942 moved the bar higher with an even bigger player involvement - battles actually seemed like battles with the huge amount of people stuck in. I actually think it was (and still is - its being played by many today!) the best out of all the Battlefields. Memorable moments include jumping on to an ally's aircraft wing and laying down on it - effectively hitching a lift, though only to be ruined when said ally barrel-rolled, making me fall off to my doom.

My current online PC game has to be Team Fortress 2, which is perhaps one of the most fun multplayer FPS games out there. The stylised cartoon look hides some rather dark humour - a rocket to the chest will explode your body parts about the 1960s james bond super-villain enviroment pastiche with huge splatters of claret. Rather amusingly, the death cam (i.e the view you get upon death) might let you capture a glimpse your body parts strewn about, complete with an arrow pointing to your spleen or foot. The classes in the game are all completely different, with my favourites being the Pyro (a flamethrower-wielding maniac, complete with muffled speech, due to his gas mask), and of course another Bond homage - the spy, who can disguise as the enemy and apply a swift knife backstab to some unlucky player.

My first console multiplayer experience comes from the Dreamcast (R.I.P.), in the form of online puzzler, ChuChu Rocket - the first console game with an online option. Not really my sort of game, but it came free to European Dreamcast owners upon connecting online with the now defunct console.

Now that console online support has evolved quite a bit, we are now spoilt for choice. I've really enjoyed a number of games on the 360 online.

I've really enjoyed Bad Company, COD4 and now Gears of War 2, which as mentioned, Horde mode is great fun. Overwhelming enemy troops versus a squad of 4 never gets old.
Fri 21/11/08 at 13:03
Regular
"THFC"
Well for me, my first real Online gaming experience came from Battlefield 2 - i loved every second i played and i would be on it non-stop. That was until i got my Ps3 and COD4 - i can remember loading it up and goin Online (the game came out on the 9th of November so had the day off for my birthday and played it)

The graphics were great, the controls were brilliant and i spent so much time on there. I enjoyed it as much if not more than Battlefield, those two games really started my love for online gaming and 90% of the time i buy a game for the Online mode now.

Like you were saying pb - Horde is great, i have had lots of fun with you lot on there and even just the co-op story mode. I am now looking forward to COD5 online as hopefully it will be at least 75% as good as COD4, then with Naruto being my Online fighter of choice i am spoilt for games.

I also play FIFA 09 a lot online, it is a good feeling when you beat someone as a team you like. I also find it very enjoyable when you take the role of a player in a team of 9 other gamers. (one in particular was me being C. Ronaldo and scoring a freekick, my team went mad and loved me, then got the second to seal the win! Is a rewarding feeling.

For me, nothing beats the getting good and testing your skills against other people. It makes games last so much longer and keeps a game challenging and enjoyable
Fri 21/11/08 at 11:29
"possibly impossible"
The Horde mode on Gears of War 2 has reminded me that online co-op and vs matches can provide great opportunities for some of the best gaming moments you'll ever experience.

The difference in playing with or against real people, rather than bots or AI, is very marked when you try it for the first time and that feeling never goes away.

Really, Online gaming is an idea that can be traced back to the first multiplayer games such as Gauntlet 2 that saw 4 players on a quest, having to work together to get through the growing hordes of enemies. Online means that it's a slightly different situation, you won't get to see the look on your team-mate's faces but you'll need to communicate much more if you want to survive.

My first memory of online gaming as a team was a boat mission in Counter Strike on the PC. I hadn't a clue what I was doing, but I was led through the mission by friends and that made all the difference. At the same time I was happy playing Deathmatch games on the original Unreal Tournament, something I still do occassionally these days.

Fast forward some time and Crimson Skies became my favourite online game of the last generation, with Mech Assault 2 not being far behind. I found myself taking newbies through their paces in Skies, something I'm happy to do as I expect others to do the same if I'm new to a game. In my opinion, Crimson Skies was the best online game of that generation, even better than Halo 2.

Frontlines has made for some good set-piece style action moments. A bunch of us appearing on a hillside, only to face an even bigger army on the other side of the satellite we were protecting. As all seemed lost, the sound of a helicoptor faded in and our air support arrived to save the day.

Of course, Horde is my current favourite, with COD4 still getting a good dusting off and Warhawk, Frontlines and Bad Company bringing up the rear.

4 of us protecting the stairs and winning out against insummountable odds is hard to beat, with GOW2's winning formula of graphics, the range of nasty Locust, each with their own unique styles and the sheer ease of online multiplayer it all comes together to make for some very memorable experiences.

So what I want to know is; what are your experiences and best memories of online gaming so far? What are you looking forward to?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.