GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PS2 problems"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 11/01/01 at 12:00
Regular
All I seem to see in these forum is all of the problems that the PS2 has. Whether it be green DVD's or scratched discs don't you think it's a bit poor on the behalf of Sony?

Surely they could have waited just a little longer until they had ironed out these problems before releasing it.

Oh well. At least your enjoying the games!
Sun 14/01/01 at 12:12
Yes, I was one of the unlucky people to open my PS2 on Christmas day, and have it bust on Boxing day.

Apparently, I was one of 8 other people who's internal power source was faulty, and the console did not turn back on. :( I get nothing but bad luck! I bet while I'm posting this, someone's robbing the bank where I put my life savings! :(

But Sony was really supportive! They said they will ship another one to me and I could enjoy opening a fresh one on the 15th (TOMORROW!) :):):) And I might be recieving a little prezzie to say 'Sorry for getting you a faulty!'

Could Nintendo or Sega do something like that (with a hard-to-get console) so fast?
Sat 13/01/01 at 13:16
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Just step in for a second here, yes, the Saturn was £399 on its UK release, which didn't help Sega at all, causing more people to wait for the PSone.
Sat 13/01/01 at 12:58
Regular
I don`t know an amazing amount about this, but I think that the reason there weren`t many problems with the N64 was that it uses cartridges rather than CDs, so the technology might have been easier to eradicate problems from. (Maybe)

As for the PS2 problems, I think Wookiee Monster is right because news does focus on the few exceptions rather than the larger groups - e.g, have you ever heard the news say this:

"This morning a man died of a heart attack, but luckily the rest of the world lived through it, so it looks as if it was a good thing after all".
Sat 13/01/01 at 07:57
I would just like to say, well done Wookie Monster and Flying pig for posting so many comments!!!!!

:)
Fri 12/01/01 at 22:30
"High polygon count"
> I wasn't saying that the PS2 was a bad machine, just that numerous
> problems have been reportrd, and must be very frustrating for
> thosewho have experienced it.

Yes, it must be frustrating. According to the press today, there have been about 5000 defective units. That sounds high, until you realise there are abuot 200,000 machines in the UK now, and that amounts to 2.5%

Of course, that didn't help those who had defective machines on Xmas day!

> It's just that I dont remember
> there being such problems with the N64, Dreamcast or the original
> Playstation

I'm not aware of any N64 problems, but someone on here who owns a Dreamcast posted a while ago saying that there were a few problems. Also, the new large-capacity VMS apparently refuses to work with some games.

The original PlayStation had a problem with overheating in the early versions. This was because the laser head moved towards the power supply as it read the disc, and this eventually caused read errors, FMV skips etc. It was corrected in later versions of the machine.
Fri 12/01/01 at 22:20
"High polygon count"
> But, the fact still remains that the ideal video output
> for dvd in this country has been intentionally crippled by the
> manufacturer.

Absolutely true, and even though I don't need the DVD output, it still annoys me. And it's not just us, by the way - apparently it's Europe-wide.

But it was either that, or get clobbered by the film industry for allowing unprotected playback of DVD movies.

Sony are part of a group of companies who were involved in the development of the DVD standard, and it would be even worse publicity for them to be seen breaking the very rules that they helped set up.

Ultimately, the film industry is to blame - for if they got off their high-horse and released films globally at the same time, none of this nonsense would be necessary.

The only reason they don't want you copying DVDs - or even getting hold of Region 1 discs - is because they won't make as much money out of you when they release the films here.

Did you know that the reason we get films at the cinema months after their US release is because the movie companies want to save money on master copies? Apparently the movies you see here are 2nd-hand copies; they send us used films after the run has finished in the US - that's why you always get marks and flickers on films at our cinemas.
Fri 12/01/01 at 11:24
Just thought I'd butt back into the topic I started just to say that I hope you didn't get me wrong in the context of my message. I wasn't saying that the PS2 was a bad machine, just that numerous problems have been reportrd, and must be very frustrating for thosewho have experienced it.

It's just that I dont remember there being such problems with the N64, Dreamcast or the original Playstation (though there might have been, and I just didn't hear).
Fri 12/01/01 at 09:41
Regular
"Complete Banker"
Lets just clear up this price difference thing, shall we?
Firstly we did not pay £100 more than in the US.
Their price was $299 which equals about £230. However one thing that's important is that the US price does not include sales and state tax, whereas here the £299 price tag includes 17.5% VAT which accounts for approx. £40. Also overheads for retailers are higher so they demand a larger profit margin that in the US. I'm sure that Sony didn't intentionally charge UK customers more, in fact I'd imagine that they made/lost as much money per machine as they did anywhere else.
Also £299 isn't a lot to pay for a new console. That's what the PSOne was in 1995 and I believe that the Sautrn was even more.
One final point - J Allard has all but admitted that the
X-Box will be more expensive that the PS2 - £399 anyone?
Thu 11/01/01 at 17:37
Sorry,
I Didn't know the original jap ps2 could do rgb scart.

But, the fact still remains that the ideal video output for dvd in this country has been intentionally crippled by the manufacturer.

Considering we're paying 100 pounds more per console than the americans, you'd think they might have been able to afford a more elegant solution than forcing us to watch a modulated picture.
Thu 11/01/01 at 15:41
"High polygon count"
> Well, they could have incorporated macrovision instead of
> the green film.

I'm not sure, but I think Macrovision is a licenced technology, and including it may have increased the price of PS2.

>The anti-piracy statement is just a way of covering
> themselves for not supplying hardware capable of producing decent
> scart rgb signals.

It's not, because the original Japanese PS2 did produce RGB SCART output for DVD. The new Japanese version now has the same green-screen problem as the rest of us.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.