GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Phantasy Star Online - worth releasing here at all?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 09/01/01 at 19:22
Regular
Bear with me for a moment, this isn't just an attempt at getting my message read with a controversial topic name.

Does anyone know how much the Dreamcast Internet connectioncosts? I don't know how much 'local call rate' is as I don't even pay that for phone calls. Living in Hull under the glorious Kingston Communication I only pay 5.5p for a local call regardless of how long it lasts and it's the same for off peak net access.

I'm asking because, as an action RPG lover, I'm very much looking forward to Phantasy Star Online but I'm worried that the game will be cack as a single player adventure. If the cost when playing a game is timed like net access then there's no way I'm playing it online - but will this defy the main point of purchasing the game? Just how good can it be playing a game with 'online' in the title on you're own?

Even the few times I've tried PC gaming over the net I've just dialed a mates local number directly and spent as long as a game can last (2 hours+ on Total Annihilation) safe in the knowledge that I've spend barely 5p for the pleasure. If PSO offers the option to directly dial someone elses DC then this would be fine for me but I doubt this option has been included.

Tue 09/01/01 at 22:35
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
As far as I'm aware Rhino, you *should* be able to, most online US titles support this, so common logic dictates that hopefully PSO should follow suit.

We'll find out on February 6th :)

--
Non-Zero Possibility
Tue 09/01/01 at 22:32
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
That's not strictly true - with the Japanese version of the game you can in fact see and access both the US and UK servers. That's right, a few are already up and running :)

Yuji Naka uniting the World in battle on Pioneer 2 :)

--
Non Zero Possibility
Tue 09/01/01 at 21:45
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Two words:

No

way.
Tue 09/01/01 at 21:39
So will Sega give us a free 0800 number for acess???
And will we be able to play against the rest of the world???
Tue 09/01/01 at 20:57
I have free bt internet after 6. So if i get us can i do this.
Tue 09/01/01 at 20:48
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
Good point raised :) Although my spies tell me Sega will be offering an incentive to Europe nearer Phantasy Star Online's UK release.

What will it be? Who knows.

Thing is, in this scenario I would recommend importing the US version, since it's free to use the PSO servers and like the US Quake 3 Arena, allows you to use your own ISP.

--
Non-Zero Possibility
Tue 09/01/01 at 20:20
Of course Phantasy Star online is worth the bother. The reason it is worth it is for the foolowing reasons.

1. It is one of the only online RPG's to be made.
2. It comes with a SA2 demo.
3. It is made by sonic team (Yuji Naka)
4. If you can get hold of the American import like me and my friend zero you can play using SEGA net or if you can get hold of Dreamkey ver 2.0 yu can choose an ISP for it and get free acess.
5. The game looks totally wicked and is essential if you call yourself a dreamcast fan. In the end the Uk will give 0800 acess to the internet so that we all play together for free.
6. Me zero and Pb are getting it so you can play with us online. It will rule.

P.S Is it still 5p min after 6.00 and weekends?

Phantasy Star Online may make you afraid of the phone bill but it looks stunning and clever
GET IT!!!!!!!!!

Golden Rhino Born and raised in the jungle
Tue 09/01/01 at 19:58
"possibly impossible"
vai wrote:
> smokedkipper wrote:
I read these boards a
couple of times a week
> so I'm more 'regular' than some prize
winners.

As in like
> stalking?

Or perhaps he's eaten his bran every day.
Tue 09/01/01 at 19:52
smokedkipper wrote:
I read these boards a
couple of times a week so I'm more 'regular' than some prize
winners.

As in like stalking?
Tue 09/01/01 at 19:48
"possibly impossible"
Tell me about it. I've been so busy recently, it's as if the new year has brought a sack load of work with it.

As long as I can expect a load of good games to come out this year I don't mind though. Do you think this year will be better for games or worse? Or will it be the same? With Playstation 2 out and Dreamcast going from strength to strength we can expect to see at least some new and original stuff appearing, but with a virtual absence of Nintendo (i.e 1 game every two months) there is a big piece missing from the games market at the moment.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.