GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Phantasy Star Online - worth releasing here at all?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 09/01/01 at 19:22
Regular
Bear with me for a moment, this isn't just an attempt at getting my message read with a controversial topic name.

Does anyone know how much the Dreamcast Internet connectioncosts? I don't know how much 'local call rate' is as I don't even pay that for phone calls. Living in Hull under the glorious Kingston Communication I only pay 5.5p for a local call regardless of how long it lasts and it's the same for off peak net access.

I'm asking because, as an action RPG lover, I'm very much looking forward to Phantasy Star Online but I'm worried that the game will be cack as a single player adventure. If the cost when playing a game is timed like net access then there's no way I'm playing it online - but will this defy the main point of purchasing the game? Just how good can it be playing a game with 'online' in the title on you're own?

Even the few times I've tried PC gaming over the net I've just dialed a mates local number directly and spent as long as a game can last (2 hours+ on Total Annihilation) safe in the knowledge that I've spend barely 5p for the pleasure. If PSO offers the option to directly dial someone elses DC then this would be fine for me but I doubt this option has been included.

Tue 09/01/01 at 19:22
Regular
"Looking for freedom"
Bear with me for a moment, this isn't just an attempt at getting my message read with a controversial topic name.

Does anyone know how much the Dreamcast Internet connectioncosts? I don't know how much 'local call rate' is as I don't even pay that for phone calls. Living in Hull under the glorious Kingston Communication I only pay 5.5p for a local call regardless of how long it lasts and it's the same for off peak net access.

I'm asking because, as an action RPG lover, I'm very much looking forward to Phantasy Star Online but I'm worried that the game will be cack as a single player adventure. If the cost when playing a game is timed like net access then there's no way I'm playing it online - but will this defy the main point of purchasing the game? Just how good can it be playing a game with 'online' in the title on you're own?

Even the few times I've tried PC gaming over the net I've just dialed a mates local number directly and spent as long as a game can last (2 hours+ on Total Annihilation) safe in the knowledge that I've spend barely 5p for the pleasure. If PSO offers the option to directly dial someone elses DC then this would be fine for me but I doubt this option has been included.

Tue 09/01/01 at 19:23
Regular
FFWEE TOPICS!

Stick to the one.
Tue 09/01/01 at 19:25
Regular
"smile, it's free"
five pence????

I hate you.
Tue 09/01/01 at 19:25
Regular
An he's here to win gameaday again, traitor you don't belong in here, when you just leave here, laughing your head off with your gameaday prize.
Tue 09/01/01 at 19:26
Regular
"Looking for freedom"
Grix Thraves wrote:
> FFWEE TOPICS!

>Stick to the one.

What do you mean?
Tue 09/01/01 at 19:27
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
PSO should stand up in its own right as a good single player game or else it won't sell enough copies to turn a profit. The majority of gamers still play alone not over the net, so PSO has to take this into account. Read some American reviews online before you decide to buy.
Tue 09/01/01 at 19:34
Regular
"Looking for freedom"
SNIPER wrote:
> An he's here to win gameaday again, traitor you don't belong in
> here, when you just leave here, laughing your head off with your
> gameaday prize.

Win Gameaday with a question? I'd like to think it takes something more than that to get a prize. Tell you what, if it makes you happy, in the unlikely even that my earlier post wins a game I'll donate it to whatever charity was getting them.

Just because I'm not a regular doesn't mean I only come back to win a game. There are a few message boards I post on but not nearly as often as I read them - I read these boards a couple of times a week so I'm more 'regular' than some prize winners.

I've won filmaday with my first post there (admittedly with a trademark moan) and I've posted loads of messages since then.
Tue 09/01/01 at 19:39
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
SNIPER is just sniping

That's what he does
Tue 09/01/01 at 19:41
Regular
I meant there are three topics now on PSO... I'm having trouble getting through everything tonight, because:

A) I have little time.
B) I have no time.

Damn.
Tue 09/01/01 at 19:48
"possibly impossible"
Tell me about it. I've been so busy recently, it's as if the new year has brought a sack load of work with it.

As long as I can expect a load of good games to come out this year I don't mind though. Do you think this year will be better for games or worse? Or will it be the same? With Playstation 2 out and Dreamcast going from strength to strength we can expect to see at least some new and original stuff appearing, but with a virtual absence of Nintendo (i.e 1 game every two months) there is a big piece missing from the games market at the moment.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.