GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"...and PC gaming?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 09/01/01 at 10:27
Regular
It seems that in all the dicussions of which console will win the battle of the next generation, a topic which seldom crops up is the effect of the PC market on these consoles. Now it'd be a pretty safe bet that most of the people who visit this forum have regular access to a PC, which is probably fairly high spec. With more and more of the population having access to PC's, is it not likely that many people won't bother with a console, as they can get many high quality titles for the PC.

A few years ago, the arguement for consoles against PC's was thus:
1) Consoles don't have loading times
2) Consoles are much cheaper
3) PC's have the ordeal of installing games and configuration options.

It seems that this is no longer valid, because
1) Consoles now do have loading times
2) Most household already have a PC anyway
3) With the advent of auto installers and auto detection, this is now only a matter of clicking "proceed"

Is it possible that consoles could be made redundant in the future?

Just think for a while, How often did you play PC games 5-10 years ago? How much more often do you play now? Does this make you more or less inclined to buy consoles/console games?
Whilst the PC isn't threatening much right now, I'm pretty sure that the trend could be on the cards. PC's are becoming more widespread, yet consoles have always been available to all. Time will tell.
Tue 09/01/01 at 10:34
Regular
This is a good point but if you think about it the reason most of us play PC games is because they are generally bigger and in many ways better than console games. But consoles are still fun part of this fun is provided by the simplicity of these games however as consoles get more and more powerful they are more able to emulate the performance of PCs and therefore produce higher quality games then before. So no I don't think consoles will die out.
Tue 09/01/01 at 10:27
Regular
"smile, it's free"
It seems that in all the dicussions of which console will win the battle of the next generation, a topic which seldom crops up is the effect of the PC market on these consoles. Now it'd be a pretty safe bet that most of the people who visit this forum have regular access to a PC, which is probably fairly high spec. With more and more of the population having access to PC's, is it not likely that many people won't bother with a console, as they can get many high quality titles for the PC.

A few years ago, the arguement for consoles against PC's was thus:
1) Consoles don't have loading times
2) Consoles are much cheaper
3) PC's have the ordeal of installing games and configuration options.

It seems that this is no longer valid, because
1) Consoles now do have loading times
2) Most household already have a PC anyway
3) With the advent of auto installers and auto detection, this is now only a matter of clicking "proceed"

Is it possible that consoles could be made redundant in the future?

Just think for a while, How often did you play PC games 5-10 years ago? How much more often do you play now? Does this make you more or less inclined to buy consoles/console games?
Whilst the PC isn't threatening much right now, I'm pretty sure that the trend could be on the cards. PC's are becoming more widespread, yet consoles have always been available to all. Time will tell.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.