GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Recommend me some Anime DVD's....."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 10/02/03 at 15:32
Regular
Go on, please. I used to love all this kind of stuff when i was younger but I kinda grew out of it, for some reason i've got an urge to watch some now though.

To give you an idea of the kind of stuff I'm lookin for i'll list a few of the ones i've enjoyed in the past.

Devil Man, Tokyo Doomed Megapolis, Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Dominion Tank Police, AD Police, Cyber City OEDO, Geno Cyber, Venus Wars and a few others that i can't remember.

As long as it's got plenty of action and it's not slow paced then good, good. I'm not intrested in the weird Japenease soap type weirdfests like Urusei Yatsura.

So go for it, list some, they need to be available on DVD though.
Tue 11/02/03 at 12:32
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
Provided you have an all region dvd player:

FLCL:
It's a short series spread over 3 dvds (there's only 1 available at the moment), although it is a bit odd.
There's some info here: http://www.gainax.co.jp/flcl/index-e.html
And there's some pics of the show here: http://www.production-ig.com/furiKuri_image_001.html

Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade.
A bit of a thinking persons anime film, but good nevertheless.
See: http://www.jin-roh.net/

Lupin the 3rd:
Lupin rocks! If you want crazy capers then get Lupin.
There are quite a few Lupin dvds out now, there's The Castle of Cagliostro, Secret of the Twilight Gemini, The Pursuit of Harimao's Treasure, Dragon of Doom (out toady in America), plus there's the old TV series being finally released on dvd in the States.

Cowboy Bebop:
Best anime TV show ever. It's the misadventures of some space-age bounty hunters and the crazy things they get up to.
Some episodes are serious, some are crazy, and the show has an amazing atmosphere helped largely by a fantastic jazz soundtrack.
If you buy only one anime series, buy this one, I can't tell you enough how good it is.
Search on Google for Cowboy Bebop and you'll find plenty of good sites with info about the show.

Ghibli:
Studio Ghibli have made some of the best anime films ever, if you want some breathtaking movies to make you feel good, let Ghibli help you.
They've made My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service, Porco Rosso, Princess Mononoke (available on dvd in the UK), Spirited Away and more.
There's a good site here: http://www.nausicaa.net/

Wings of Honnemise:
An epic tale of a civilization's first faltering steps into space. A very special anime film, with great characters, plenty of action, amazing animation, and a few messages about mankind's spirituality and stuff thrown in for good measure.
A very special film.
Tue 11/02/03 at 12:35
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
Basically, don't bother looking for anime in the UK, region 1 dvds are the way to go, as the majority of stuff available here is the oldest stuff from the early-mid 90's, whereas the US gets new stuff each week.
Anime has progressed a lot since then, but the UK market sadly hasn't seen it.

Metropolis is also a very good film (available in the UK on dvd too).
Tue 11/02/03 at 13:21
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
A good Cowboy Bebop site (I think it's the official one) is:

http://www.cowboybebop.org/english/session/index.html

There's an introduction to the show, character profiles, episode guides, info about the spacecraft seen in the show and more.
Tue 11/02/03 at 15:54
"Darth Vader 3442321"
Don't buy "X", that is a big pile of doggy do, damn cover promising massive battles and then like. That's the last impulse buy i ever make.
Tue 11/02/03 at 15:58
"Darth Vader 3442321"
Vampire Hunter D, an oldie but a goodie.
Tue 11/02/03 at 19:21
Regular
The sagacious one wrote:
> Don't buy "X", that is a big pile of doggy do, damn cover
> promising massive battles and then like. That's the last impulse buy i
> ever make.

Thanks for the warning, I saw the cover and thought it looked pretty good...guess I won't bother now.
Tue 11/02/03 at 20:02
"possibly impossible"
Totoro wrote:
> Provided you have an all region dvd player:
>
> FLCL:
> It's a short series spread over 3 dvds

And very very funny too if you know the references to other anime.

> Cowboy Bebop:
> Best anime TV show ever

Ooh, what about Evangelion?!

> Wings of Honnemise:

Another one I forgot, very nice.
Tue 11/02/03 at 22:04
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
Another good one I forgot to mention is Spriggan. Plenty of action, some amazing animation, more action, a bit of violence and a good soundtrack.
Tue 11/02/03 at 22:11
Regular
Totoro wrote:

> Lupin the 3rd:
> Lupin rocks! If you want crazy capers then get Lupin.
> There are quite a few Lupin dvds out now, there's The Castle of
> Cagliostro, Secret of the Twilight Gemini, The Pursuit of Harimao's
> Treasure, Dragon of Doom (out toady in America), plus there's the old
> TV series being finally released on dvd in the States.

These films rule, I had Castle of Cagliostro and 2 others that where released on Manga video a while back. Very funny films, some of them are rammed with nudity which I found quite suprising for the type of film they are.

Another 2 series I liked where Patlabor: Mobile Police and Giant Robo.
Tue 11/02/03 at 22:36
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> Totoro wrote:
>
> Lupin the 3rd:
> Lupin rocks! If you want crazy capers then get Lupin.
> There are quite a few Lupin dvds out now, there's The Castle of
> Cagliostro, Secret of the Twilight Gemini, The Pursuit of Harimao's
> Treasure, Dragon of Doom (out toady in America), plus there's the
> old
> TV series being finally released on dvd in the States.
>
> These films rule, I had Castle of Cagliostro and 2 others that where
> released on Manga video a while back. Very funny films, some of them
> are rammed with nudity which I found quite suprising for the type of
> film they are.

Very true, there is quite a bit of senseless flashing in there which I don't really like, but the TV series doesn't have anything like that. The show is currently being re-released on dvd, and although it's pretty old (early 1970's) it's pretty fun in an early 70's camp adventures kind of way.

> Another 2 series I liked where Patlabor: Mobile Police and Giant Robo.

Patlabor is a great series. There's the two films (being released in a double pack dvd in the UK soon), plus there's a new movie Patlabor 3: WXIII coming to dvd in the US soon, and like Lupin, the old TV series is currently being released on dvd.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.