GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Perfect Dark - Better than Goldeneye????"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 07/01/01 at 20:14
Regular
My first impressions of Perfect Dark were negative, I'm a Goldeneye veteran and this game seemed to have something missing... it seemed that Rare had added to much, tweaked something that little bit too much. I didn't like the target (which was now a green square, as opposed to a red circle on Goldeneye) and I also wasn't very impressed with the secondary modes on the guns.
So after playing the first few levels, disappointed, I decided to go to the Carrington institute to learn more about the games features (the training sessions). Then I started to really get into the game, secondary modes on the weapons became second nature and stealing/disarming opponents of their weapons before shooting them was finally a reality. I was finally agent "Perfect Dark", after doing all the training sessions and getting Gold for all the weapons in weapon training.
Then the game really started to come to life, the tasks are a little more complicated than with Goldeneye, but all the levels are well designed and fun to play. As with Goldeneye there are 3 difficulty levels, to suit everybody's abilities. One of the great things about Perfect Dark is that there are just so many new options, new guns, secondary gun modes, and different modes of play, you can even complete the same level with a friend (split screen). As an added incentive for completing a level new cheats become available, such as "classic site" (so you can play with the circular red target of Goldeneye), this is a plus as for many of the cheats in Goldeneye you had to perform tasks that would only be obvious by going to a cheat site on the internet.
As with Goldeneye where this game really excels is the multiplayer mode, which far surpasses Goldeneye because of the addition of computer controlled players (which can play with or against you and your friends). This makes a difference particularly to the two player battle modes which on Goldeneye became a boring run for the body armour shoot down your opponent affair with the best player (who owned the game) always winning. All in all the multiplayer game is much more fun, this is a must purchase for owners of Goldeneye, and all fans of first person shooting games and all those with friends.

In summary this is an absolutely brilliant game with excellent single and multiplayer game modes, the only criticism I can give it is that its a little harder to get into at first than Goldeneye, which is a much more pick up and play game. However all these extra features, although meaning the game is more difficult to play initially, will ultimately only increase the lastability of this game far beyond that of Goldeneye, and that's no easy task considering Goldeneye is as old as the N64 and me and my friends still play it regularly. This is the best game on the N64 by far, a true classic that nobody should be without, definitely one of the games of 2000 along with Shenmue on the Dreamcast.

I can hardly wait for the sequel, which according to rumours will be called "After Dark" and may be a launch game with Nintendo's new Gamecube console later this year.
Sat 19/05/01 at 19:44
Regular
"Dunemaul NE Hunter"
Too good to imagin if you ask me.
Sat 19/05/01 at 18:12
Just imagine the graphics on the GameCube!

Sat 19/05/01 at 13:32
Perfect Dark is such a cool game, the detail of the characters, the scenery the range of the sniper superb.

Its also the first game I can think of in which the President of the United States is black, which is nice to see in a game.

Lets hope the sequel will love up to this excellent game when its released on the Gamecube.
Wed 21/03/01 at 13:53
I cant wait either, I think it will be a superb game just like PerfectDark and Goldeneye on the N64.
Tue 20/03/01 at 21:04
THIS IS THE FIRST THING I HAVE HEARD OF PD2 BUT I THINK IT WILL BE EXELENT.

I CANNOT WAIT!
Thu 18/01/01 at 13:31
Yes What???? Yes youve completed the Aztec Level????
Mon 15/01/01 at 20:58
Regular
Yes!!!!!
Sun 14/01/01 at 23:45
2 tips too complete the Aztec level on Goldeneye

1. Go forward, i.e. dont fall down by the start of the level..cross the bridge and keep going

2. Make Jaws chase you into the tunnels, then aim at his chest...if youve locked him in the tunnels properly he should be a gonner.

You should be able to do this level now with a bit of practice,patience and luck!
Sun 14/01/01 at 21:20
Regular
Exactly first person shooters on the pc and other games like them dont have any tension because you can save anytime you like, i can remember playing through the first tomb raider on the PC I practically saved my game after every jump just incase i fell, it was so easy. I know that perfect dark and goldeneye are really hard but its better like that and if u dont like it just stick to he easier difficulty level.

One thing i dont like about goldeneye was the Aztec level i couldnt even do it on secret agent let alone 00 agent.
Sun 14/01/01 at 13:12
The main complaint as far as difficulty was concerned with both games was that you had to complete the entire level before you could save your progress, and this is still the way it is in Perfect Dark. I dont mind though, I think allowing us to save our progress every 2 mins makes us gamers a bit lame, and the game a bit boring --- after all, wheres the fear of being shot in a game if you can just save your progress before every hard part!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.