GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"ATI or Nvidia"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 07/02/03 at 18:27
Regular
Well it has come to this I'm looking at a Geforce 4ti 4200 128mb, a Geforce 4ti 4800 and a ATI radeon 9500 and 9700, the latter i have heard are more powerful than all the Geforce 4's and have seen that it can handle FSAA alot better than the Geforce 4's.
But also i have heard of some problems with some games using an ATI plus problems with their drivers..... this is all confusing for me which would you pick?
Sun 09/02/03 at 05:44
Regular
Right getting Radeon 9500... so it plays games with full FSAA etc... sweet!
Sun 09/02/03 at 03:59
Regular
Geforce 4's are basically it seems not as good as the ATIs when it comes to FSAA, but i dont play much old games so... maybe a Radeon 9500? A 9700 is hefty otherwise i'd go for a Geforce 4ti4800.
Sun 09/02/03 at 03:46
Regular
"bing bang bong"
§n][pe® wrote:
> I dont care about FSAA i just want a powerful card, put everything up
> to max. 16bit, 100hz Refresh rate. ATM i manage Medium on most games,
> and high in AOM cos its less demanding.

You should care about FSAA, just in the same way you should care about the programmable shaders in the latest series of graphics cards. The polygon pushing power of modern graphics hardware is rapidly approaches that necessary for near photorealism, and texturing is not far behind. The next big thing in consumer graphics is enhancements in lighting and shaders effects - clever lighting and texture tricks, that make scenes appear far more real. Most important of all of these, perhaps, is anti-aliasing.
Sat 08/02/03 at 19:25
Someone should post a graphics card tutorial only this material seems to get more going over than most.

But preferably someone who knows them indepth or from the industry.
Sat 08/02/03 at 17:30
Regular
I dont care about FSAA i just want a powerful card, put everything up to max. 16bit, 100hz Refresh rate. ATM i manage Medium on most games, and high in AOM cos its less demanding.
Sat 08/02/03 at 17:28
Regular
There's nothing wrong with them but you get more assurance with a Nvidia card and it's detonators.
Sat 08/02/03 at 16:15
Rite, buying an ATI doesnt mean you WILL get probs it just means the likelyhood is much higher than if you buy a GF4 and if you know enough about graphics cards you can tweak them yourself to make them more stable although I cant see most of the people who want one actually learning this.
So pick what you want there are plus and minus for both cards but research and if you dont understand some of it ask someone who does before shelling out £200 plus pounds.

GL with your cards
Sat 08/02/03 at 16:11
Regular
"Touched!"
AMD_MAN wrote:
> The ATI card are really good, powerfull cards but there drivers are
> bad, they tend to crash the computer when coming out of games and they
> all round can slow performance down, i would go for the ti4800 Geforce
> or the geforce fx.
>
> c.b.

Sorry but saying ATI's Catalyst drivers are bad is complete rubbish, just because *some* people have problems doesn't mean its the drivers, it could be anything, in fact ATI offer the best cards at the moment for the price, just shows how ATI have made a good comeback, i used to own a GF2 TI, but i have been very impressed wiht my Radeon 9700, just a little note the 4800 is just a Ti 4400 (or 4200 can't remember which) but with AGP 8x, 4200's won't cut it soon so i wouldn't reocmmend it if you want your graphics set to max.
Sat 08/02/03 at 16:07
Regular
"Touched!"
I've got an ATI 9700, works perfectly and i've had no probs, i run tons of games on it as well.
Sat 08/02/03 at 15:40
Regular
Although i dont know as much as you think i know about computers, i researched around.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.