GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Question from a computer retard"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 02/09/05 at 15:51
Regular
"It's so,so cold"
Hello,I would just like to ask you all how much a PC capable of playing games such as Doom 3 and Half-Life 2 would cost.I really know nothing of this whole graphics card malarky but since I am purchasing a new computer I would like some help in what type of thing I would need to get.

I would greatly appreciate any information.Cheers.
Fri 02/09/05 at 23:30
Regular
"Captain to you."
it really depends on how much of a gamer you are going to be as it can mean a few hundred £ difference.
Fri 02/09/05 at 23:25
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Listen mate, how good your PC is will be dictated by how good you want it to be. Depending on your budget, you could get a really good, fast machine for about £1000, and decreasing in quality below that, down to about £700 if you want your machine to be playing games for the next couple of years too.

It is about £300 cheaper to build your own PC and it's not as hard as you imagine, but knowing nothing about computers, I don't suggest it unless you can get someone else to put it together for you. There are plenty of topics around at the moment with the best components to buy. Anyway, here are a couple of decent pre-built PCs from reputable companies that'll be playing games quite nicely:

[URL]http://www.meshcomputers.com/updated/matrix_1_4.htm[/URL]
[URL]http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/dimen_xps5?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&s=dhs[/URL]

That's a realy good deal on the Dell, btw.

Anyway, generally here's a list of specs you should be aiming for:

-Intel Pentium 4 3.2Ghz/AMD Athlon 64 3400+ or higher CPU
-1GB (1024MB) RAM or more
-Nvidia 6800/6800GT/6800GTX or ATI Radeon X800XT/X850XT/X850XTPE Graphics card
-60GB + HDD at 7200rpm or faster

Those are the main components. Everything else is up to you (sound card, monitor, etc).

A word of advice: if buying a prebuilt PC, it's sometimes cheaper to not include a monitor and then buy one yourself (if you even need one). Check the price of including a monitor against how much it would cost to buy one yourself (anything from £65 - £1000 depending on what you want).
Fri 02/09/05 at 23:04
Regular
"Captain to you."
I love old consoles, saturn, n64, dreamcast, neogeo.

Technically i just said that you can't compare a PC to a console due to what they are trying to do.

It's more the people that get the consoles that i don't like as apposed to the consoles themselves.

You see people going 'xbox360 is better than ps3'. What that’s complete balls they are different consoles trying to do different things.

It's these new ones that i hate, i read the specs for them and then they release all these horrible little games that could have been so much better.

Look at the xbox it can do more than it was used for and yet they just haven’t bothered, even their release title HALO had chugging in parts, that’s not what a console should be like.

The xbox should have been the Microsoft version of the Mac all built the same, stable and doesn't crash. They wasted the opportunity by just chucking in lame internet and net gaming (which was done well to be fair).

I'll take a look at the new gen when they come out as i don't trust all this pre-release crap they churn out trying to get people to pre-order now, the only way to judge what’s best for you is to experience them and not just go with what you have chosen before or what other people recommend.
Fri 02/09/05 at 22:22
"Tesco value"
why the hate of consoles Chippxero?

I'm having to save up quite a bit of money lately and I can't afford to keep updating my computer, consoles bring games to the masses, especially the underprivileged who want to play the latest games.

Now consoles are closing the gap between PCs, they offer me alot more with online gaming and good titles, I know that computers will always have the upper hand but they bring gaming to the living room and not making it a 'nerdy' thing to do
Fri 02/09/05 at 21:02
Regular
Give consoles sports and racing games but I'm pretty sure the PC wins in every other genre =)
Fri 02/09/05 at 20:59
Regular
"Captain to you."
People need to remember that it's not the power that makes the difference between the xbox360 and a pc it's the games and the way they are developed.

The only time power an specs come in to it is when you compare PC vs PC other wise we'll be no better than the scumbag console fans that argue over whats better.
Fri 02/09/05 at 20:53
Regular
gordenisagaybys wrote:
> oh and apprently it will be 12 months before computers catch up to
> the 360 standard, although this remains to be seen.
> The new Xbox world has some good footage of the live side of 360, but
> not alot else

PC's are already ahead of the 360 standards.
Fri 02/09/05 at 20:35
Regular
"8==="
gordenisagaybys wrote:
> Has someone HAX Hedfix's account?
>
> I've noticed on a couple of threads completely open to insults and
> derogatory comments, Hedfix has actually offered advice.

I don't generally rip the pee out of intelligent newbies, I don't know where you got that idea from.
Fri 02/09/05 at 20:12
Regular
"It's so,so cold"
I'll get a 360 some time next year but at the moment I'm looking for a good PC as the one I have is crap.It can't play champ man and frequently crashes so I have to use a laptop.The problem is that the laptop can only just about handle Halo and Battle for Middle Earth on the lowest graphical settings.So I need a new computer which can playing new PC games to a good graphical standard.

If anybody can tell me any particular PC's which are good I would appreciate it.
Fri 02/09/05 at 20:10
"Tesco value"
Has someone HAX Hedfix's account?

I've noticed on a couple of threads completely open to insults and derogatory comments, Hedfix has actually offered advice.

wassup, cat just died?

oh and apprently it will be 12 months before computers catch up to the 360 standard, although this remains to be seen.
The new Xbox world has some good footage of the live side of 360, but not alot else

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.