GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Question from a computer retard"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 02/09/05 at 15:51
Regular
"It's so,so cold"
Hello,I would just like to ask you all how much a PC capable of playing games such as Doom 3 and Half-Life 2 would cost.I really know nothing of this whole graphics card malarky but since I am purchasing a new computer I would like some help in what type of thing I would need to get.

I would greatly appreciate any information.Cheers.
Fri 02/09/05 at 15:51
Regular
"It's so,so cold"
Hello,I would just like to ask you all how much a PC capable of playing games such as Doom 3 and Half-Life 2 would cost.I really know nothing of this whole graphics card malarky but since I am purchasing a new computer I would like some help in what type of thing I would need to get.

I would greatly appreciate any information.Cheers.
Fri 02/09/05 at 18:59
Regular
"8==="
Get a cheap PC and an Xbox (which'll has Doom 3 now and HL2 shortly).

Get some more games with the money you've saved.
Fri 02/09/05 at 19:01
Regular
"Captain to you."
£500 - 600 ish should do really for a pretty good machine.
Fri 02/09/05 at 19:05
Regular
"The definitive tag"
Hedfix wrote:
> Get a cheap PC and an Xbox (which'll has Doom 3 now and HL2 shortly).

Weren't both games cut down dramatically so they'd be playable on the Xbox?
Fri 02/09/05 at 19:17
Regular
"8==="
Well considering one isn't out yet I'd say 'no'.

They did apparently cut out the beginning of Doom 3 although me and Tilt managed to wander around for about 5-10 mins talking to people before killing anything so I'm not surprised they cut more out if that's how long the cut version was before you actually got to shoot a demon.

That's also hardly in the spirit of doom, in the originals you turned thefirst corner and there were demons to shoot - that's what I want from a doom game. The stroy is very very secondry to shooting a shed-load of demons. :D
Fri 02/09/05 at 19:18
Regular
"8==="
Chippxero wrote:
> £500 - 600 ish should do really for a pretty good machine.

Or £270-ish'll get you a 360 in a few months time, which is supposed to be pretty powerul next to your average PC.
Fri 02/09/05 at 19:28
Regular
"Captain to you."
But the guys looking for a pc not a console.
Fri 02/09/05 at 19:31
Regular
"8==="
Think outside the box maaaaan! ;D
Fri 02/09/05 at 20:10
"Tesco value"
Has someone HAX Hedfix's account?

I've noticed on a couple of threads completely open to insults and derogatory comments, Hedfix has actually offered advice.

wassup, cat just died?

oh and apprently it will be 12 months before computers catch up to the 360 standard, although this remains to be seen.
The new Xbox world has some good footage of the live side of 360, but not alot else
Fri 02/09/05 at 20:12
Regular
"It's so,so cold"
I'll get a 360 some time next year but at the moment I'm looking for a good PC as the one I have is crap.It can't play champ man and frequently crashes so I have to use a laptop.The problem is that the laptop can only just about handle Halo and Battle for Middle Earth on the lowest graphical settings.So I need a new computer which can playing new PC games to a good graphical standard.

If anybody can tell me any particular PC's which are good I would appreciate it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.