GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"To Buy, Or Not To Buy...That, Is The Question..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 04/09/05 at 19:18
Regular
"I like cheese"
Wow, I haven't posted in here for donkey's years (haha, strange that, because I went to a Donkey Derby today as well...sadly.) Anyway.

My girlfriend's younger brother was showing off his PSP last night, and to my surprise, I was really rather impressed. Although I still enjoy gaming, and my PS2 is still in regular use after many years, my game consumption has largely dropped.

With the exception of my personal all-time favourites such as the Metal Gear series, Football Manager, Star Wars games, Brian Lara Cricket 2005 (which, incidentally, rocks) and Tactical Ops online, I really don't splash out much cash on games these days. I used to buy anything for the PS2/PC that looked half decent, but nowadays I stick the tried and trusted stuff.

I lost my GBA in France, and didn't care one bit. My little sister played it more than I did. And so when I saw 180 (I think) pounds worth of PSP last night, I really wasn't expecting too much. I knew it would be better than a GBA, which ultimately sucked due to crap games, crap graphics and a crap screen where you couldn't see anything. But I have to say, after playing NFS for a while, I was mightily impressed.

It's still small...but the screen is huge! For a handheld anyway. The graphics are amazing too, at least as good as top-end PSX visuals. Now that I'm earning much more money after taking on a full-time job during my gap year (I go to Uni next september), spending £180 isn't so much of a worry anymore (although it will be in a couple of years time, I'm sure) and so I'm very tempted to get one.

But too many worries cross my mind. Would it really be worth it? My PS2 is still very adequate at the moment, and I am interested in getting a PS3 after the first price drop, depending on which games are released. Another worry is how much would I use it - after all, I have lost some of my interest in gaming as a whole, and perhaps £180 would be better spent on an upgrade for my ageing graphics card.

I don't know, I really don't. I haven't got a clue whether the PSP has been generally seen as a huge success, or whether it's received a reaction that constitutes as "meh." I don't know which games are scheduled for release, whether it's worth its price tag, or whether it will drop in price over the next 12 months. One plus point would be that I'm not lugging my PS2 or my PC to University with me, but I expect a PSP would fill my gaming needs whilst I'm away.

I've probably bored you by now, but any advice would be appreciated. Just how good is the PSP?

EDIT - And I know this is the Sony forum, but how does the DS compare?
Sun 04/09/05 at 19:18
Regular
"I like cheese"
Wow, I haven't posted in here for donkey's years (haha, strange that, because I went to a Donkey Derby today as well...sadly.) Anyway.

My girlfriend's younger brother was showing off his PSP last night, and to my surprise, I was really rather impressed. Although I still enjoy gaming, and my PS2 is still in regular use after many years, my game consumption has largely dropped.

With the exception of my personal all-time favourites such as the Metal Gear series, Football Manager, Star Wars games, Brian Lara Cricket 2005 (which, incidentally, rocks) and Tactical Ops online, I really don't splash out much cash on games these days. I used to buy anything for the PS2/PC that looked half decent, but nowadays I stick the tried and trusted stuff.

I lost my GBA in France, and didn't care one bit. My little sister played it more than I did. And so when I saw 180 (I think) pounds worth of PSP last night, I really wasn't expecting too much. I knew it would be better than a GBA, which ultimately sucked due to crap games, crap graphics and a crap screen where you couldn't see anything. But I have to say, after playing NFS for a while, I was mightily impressed.

It's still small...but the screen is huge! For a handheld anyway. The graphics are amazing too, at least as good as top-end PSX visuals. Now that I'm earning much more money after taking on a full-time job during my gap year (I go to Uni next september), spending £180 isn't so much of a worry anymore (although it will be in a couple of years time, I'm sure) and so I'm very tempted to get one.

But too many worries cross my mind. Would it really be worth it? My PS2 is still very adequate at the moment, and I am interested in getting a PS3 after the first price drop, depending on which games are released. Another worry is how much would I use it - after all, I have lost some of my interest in gaming as a whole, and perhaps £180 would be better spent on an upgrade for my ageing graphics card.

I don't know, I really don't. I haven't got a clue whether the PSP has been generally seen as a huge success, or whether it's received a reaction that constitutes as "meh." I don't know which games are scheduled for release, whether it's worth its price tag, or whether it will drop in price over the next 12 months. One plus point would be that I'm not lugging my PS2 or my PC to University with me, but I expect a PSP would fill my gaming needs whilst I'm away.

I've probably bored you by now, but any advice would be appreciated. Just how good is the PSP?

EDIT - And I know this is the Sony forum, but how does the DS compare?
Sun 04/09/05 at 19:21
Regular
"Mozzy"
It's good...at first. Dunno why but im starting to get bored of mine.

It's probably just me though, just seems a bit too expensive for something that isn't keeping me happy.

For £180 you'd expect alot, and you do, at first. But...well, I dunno.

Ignore me.
Sun 04/09/05 at 20:53
Regular
"bit of a brain"
It's a handheld, everyone gets bored of them. That's because you spend most of your time at home, and it's better to play games on a big screen (usually in multiplayer) than on a small one. If you're not planning on using it when you're out and about, a handheld console is never really going to be something that you use all the time. It's somethng to do with being unable to play it for lengthy periods of time like you can with a PC or with a console.
Sun 04/09/05 at 21:41
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
gerrid wrote:
> It's a handheld, everyone gets bored of them. That's because you spend
> most of your time at home, and it's better to play games on a big
> screen (usually in multiplayer) than on a small one. If you're not
> planning on using it when you're out and about, a handheld console is
> never really going to be something that you use all the time. It's
> somethng to do with being unable to play it for lengthy periods of
> time like you can with a PC or with a console.

Agreed.

I've got a GBA which I use solely for playing Mario Kart every time I'm away from home. Still a classic which I never get bored of.

If you're going to be away from home regularly go for it. If not even with all good intentions expect to play on it every few months for a week or so.
Sun 04/09/05 at 21:58
Regular
"Touched!"
I'm going to say go for one. I've had my PSP since thursday and I'm not being a fanboy but boy it's better than I ever expected. Graphics, interface, features, build quality etc. It really is a great piece of kit. Some may say it's expensive but from a personal point of view I think it's good value for money. The launch games are also strong and so are the up coming games by the looks of it. I'd highly recommend Wipeout Pure as your first game if you decide to get one, it's great and shows off the power of the PSP well. Ridge Racer is also a nice alternative. I've had a DS for 2 months and it's just sat there, the PSP has that "wow" factor where the DS didn't. All of my mates and even my own parents were very impressed and these are people who are not gamers at all.

Go for it, people saying you'll play your consoles more are talking rubbish. Not all games on the PSP will be on consoles and some of them are excellent pick up and play games such as Virtua Tennis and Ridge..where as the likes of Wipeout take time and pratice to learn the tracks. Just my view of course but it's a really good portable console.
Sun 04/09/05 at 22:03
Regular
"I like cheese"
Thanks for the advice.

I think I shall wait till it drops down in price (which will hopefully be before I go to Uni), and then I think I'll get one to take with me.

It certainly appears far superior to the DS.
Mon 05/09/05 at 02:12
Regular
"Bicycle"
When you leaving for uni?
Mon 05/09/05 at 02:19
Regular
"8==="
I just used my GBA for Doom on the bus and we used to play link-up Doom at work which rocked muchly.
Mon 05/09/05 at 14:24
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
I don't really bother with handhelds anymore. For me to buy one, it would have to have some major worthwhile plus points. Like its been said already, its easy to get bored with them at home when you have a console to play on a bigger screen which is far superior.

So that leaves using it on your travels. I doubt many people want to to play as they walk - since thats a good way to end up face first into a wall or flying over a car as you walk into oncoming traffic. Then theres commuting, which is always great to play a game in when you're being crushed by a train full of people during rush hour, with someones smelly armpit in your face.

But of course you can always look cool for owning one in public for like 5 minutes before you're mugged and left sobbing on the pavement (and no thats not personal experience). ;-)

The last handheld I had was the GBA SP. I used it while sitting on a coach for ages and if anything it just made me feel travel sick. I could have used it on a plane of course, but then the bloody things run out of batteries within a couple of hours and you end up left, lugging a dead handheld around as well as your luggage.

Of course I'm looking forward to the XBox 360 at the moment, so spending just as much on a PS2 handheld as a next generation premium pack with all the stuff added in is definatly a hell no.
I know theres like an initial £100 difference between the two, but once you buy a 1GB memory stick to actually save the stuff you want (any smaller memory card just doesn't seem worthwhile), then its practically the same price !

The games being released on the PSP don't really appeal to me either, you'd be better off just buying some more games for your PS2. Afterall, the games are practically the same on both consoles, except the normal PS2 versions are probably cheaper.
Mon 05/09/05 at 14:39
"High polygon count"
I used to have an original GameBoy and a Game Gear, but sold them ages ago. I've never been interested in a handheld since.

Until now!

A truly amazing piece of kit, and I'd recommend it to anyone. I haven't been able to put it down yet, and I only had one game (TOCA 2) until today (Lumines).

I've another 3 still to come (Ridge Racer, Mercury and Virtua Tennis), and am also looking forward to Daxter and Pursuit Force (which is very much looking like the best portable game ever made - hell, it wouldn't look out of place on a home system).

Until PSP, I would have agreed with the comment that handhelds quickly become boring - because until now, handheld games have been quite limited. This, though, is like having a home machine in your hands, to play whenever and wherever you like.

Easily the best graphics of any portable system, great sound (really best through headphones), and a screen that can only be described as perfection... backed up with a storage medium which can hold more game data than a Gamecube disc.

It will be a cold day in hell before I get tired of this little beauty.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.