GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"To Buy, Or Not To Buy...That, Is The Question..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 04/09/05 at 19:18
Regular
"I like cheese"
Wow, I haven't posted in here for donkey's years (haha, strange that, because I went to a Donkey Derby today as well...sadly.) Anyway.

My girlfriend's younger brother was showing off his PSP last night, and to my surprise, I was really rather impressed. Although I still enjoy gaming, and my PS2 is still in regular use after many years, my game consumption has largely dropped.

With the exception of my personal all-time favourites such as the Metal Gear series, Football Manager, Star Wars games, Brian Lara Cricket 2005 (which, incidentally, rocks) and Tactical Ops online, I really don't splash out much cash on games these days. I used to buy anything for the PS2/PC that looked half decent, but nowadays I stick the tried and trusted stuff.

I lost my GBA in France, and didn't care one bit. My little sister played it more than I did. And so when I saw 180 (I think) pounds worth of PSP last night, I really wasn't expecting too much. I knew it would be better than a GBA, which ultimately sucked due to crap games, crap graphics and a crap screen where you couldn't see anything. But I have to say, after playing NFS for a while, I was mightily impressed.

It's still small...but the screen is huge! For a handheld anyway. The graphics are amazing too, at least as good as top-end PSX visuals. Now that I'm earning much more money after taking on a full-time job during my gap year (I go to Uni next september), spending £180 isn't so much of a worry anymore (although it will be in a couple of years time, I'm sure) and so I'm very tempted to get one.

But too many worries cross my mind. Would it really be worth it? My PS2 is still very adequate at the moment, and I am interested in getting a PS3 after the first price drop, depending on which games are released. Another worry is how much would I use it - after all, I have lost some of my interest in gaming as a whole, and perhaps £180 would be better spent on an upgrade for my ageing graphics card.

I don't know, I really don't. I haven't got a clue whether the PSP has been generally seen as a huge success, or whether it's received a reaction that constitutes as "meh." I don't know which games are scheduled for release, whether it's worth its price tag, or whether it will drop in price over the next 12 months. One plus point would be that I'm not lugging my PS2 or my PC to University with me, but I expect a PSP would fill my gaming needs whilst I'm away.

I've probably bored you by now, but any advice would be appreciated. Just how good is the PSP?

EDIT - And I know this is the Sony forum, but how does the DS compare?
Thu 08/09/05 at 22:17
Regular
"I like cheese"
Woah, so almost a £50 saving? Definitely waiting until I go to the US then. Cheers for that.

Not bothered about movies really. It's Metal Gear Acid I want...
Wed 07/09/05 at 06:56
Regular
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> Interesting (well, sort of) point about region coding...
>
> Has anyone else noticed that, although PSP games are 'region free',
> they still put the regions on the case inlays?

Yeah I noticed that - kinda worried me when buying my first UK game.

All turned out to be good though.
Tue 06/09/05 at 23:27
Regular
"es argh"
I picked a PSP up from my holiday in the US for $249.

Which my converter site says

and Matthew Taylor whose claim to fame is that he was allegedly a lover of singer Will Young.

Wait, no, I must of not copied it properly.

250.00 USD = 135.828 GBP

Oh funky monkey nuts.

45 quid cheaper go team
Tue 06/09/05 at 23:01
"High polygon count"
Interesting (well, sort of) point about region coding...

Has anyone else noticed that, although PSP games are 'region free', they still put the regions on the case inlays?
Tue 06/09/05 at 21:51
Yes, but not films.

Films work on the same regions as DVDs, so if you bought a Japanese PSP, you could still play British UMDs, but if you bought an American PSP, you could only play American UMDs.

I think.
Tue 06/09/05 at 21:38
Regular
"I like cheese"
Any idea if the PSPs are cheaper in the US?

Also, if I did get one, would the games back here work on it?
Tue 06/09/05 at 10:27
Regular
I handle performance reporting for a number of Royal Mail Delivery Offices.

I do have a Boss, only he's out pretty much all of the time.

Add to that the fact that my usual Day's work can be finished in around 3-4 hours, it's all good :)
Tue 06/09/05 at 08:50
Regular
Yes, it's costly when you factor in additional epenses like memory cards, but it's worth it. Sure, if you can't really make use of the portability, I can understand why you'd be deterred.

I drive to work. When I'm at home, the first and only thing I want to play on is World of Warcraft, so home PSP-ing is out of the question pretty much. I'd never take it to a friend/relative's house, as it's rude to play a handheld when you're a guest at someone's house. If I go on holiday, I take it with me for the trip. I took it to America with me in August - I listened to MP3s on the way to the airport, had a session in the departure lounge and played even more on the plane. Sure, I didn't play it constantly, but with earphones in, the battery lasted for ages - it still had 2 bars left, switching to 1 when we arrived at the villa.

So that leaves work - and it's exactly there where I get my full usage out of it. I listen to my MP3s while I'm working, then I play the game(s) on my breaks and when I'm short of work to do. It's fantastic for these situations, as I'd usually just browse the same, tired old websites, seeing the same thing. I used to bring my DS to work, but then I'd have to bring my iPod. Now I have an all-in-one device, which at the moment, is sat in front of my PC playing Anchorman for the 1000th time :D
Mon 05/09/05 at 17:57
Yeah, what he said.

Additionally, a decade down the line when we've moved onto new technologies, it's a sure fire thing that the PSP will still fit in with your other equipment.
Mon 05/09/05 at 14:39
"High polygon count"
I used to have an original GameBoy and a Game Gear, but sold them ages ago. I've never been interested in a handheld since.

Until now!

A truly amazing piece of kit, and I'd recommend it to anyone. I haven't been able to put it down yet, and I only had one game (TOCA 2) until today (Lumines).

I've another 3 still to come (Ridge Racer, Mercury and Virtua Tennis), and am also looking forward to Daxter and Pursuit Force (which is very much looking like the best portable game ever made - hell, it wouldn't look out of place on a home system).

Until PSP, I would have agreed with the comment that handhelds quickly become boring - because until now, handheld games have been quite limited. This, though, is like having a home machine in your hands, to play whenever and wherever you like.

Easily the best graphics of any portable system, great sound (really best through headphones), and a screen that can only be described as perfection... backed up with a storage medium which can hold more game data than a Gamecube disc.

It will be a cold day in hell before I get tired of this little beauty.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.