GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Favourite Game Ever?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 04/09/05 at 21:30
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
Mario Kart for SNES.
Mon 05/09/05 at 18:52
Regular
The combat system in Wind Waker felt totally different to OOT.

For starters you could link moves together, flip over your opponent, an increased set of moves, collect things from the grounds, it moved more freely, you could throw any weapon, defensive abilities were increased, the new dodge feature etc... etc...

Granted the basic system still lies beneath it but the combat mode had been improved so much that it was almost totally different to Ocarina of Time.

Wind Waker also favoured animation over realism. The terrified looks on the face of the Moblins once you've stolen their weapons was priceless, there was also the addition of flying, sailing and GBA connectivity...

Then again these are minor additions over the fantastic new combat system which was by far Wind Waker's greatest new feature.

I find Zelda complex in a exploration kinda way... perhaps not from a stratigic standpoint, other than choosing the correct weaponry there was little to decide other than work out puzzles and that can be rather simple. But exploration wise the game had a lot of depth which, I feel, surpasses the likes of Final Fantasy.

No disrespect to the series mind.
Mon 05/09/05 at 18:51
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
Favourite game. Oooooohhh, these hard-to-make decisions are so evil!

CBFD (N64) or Perfect Dark (also N64). Oh how you taunt me!

Probably CBFD. I never get tired of the humour of that game.
Mon 05/09/05 at 15:13
Regular
The would have used the same code, just added more combos and stuff to it. The lock on system being identical is a big clue to the engine being the same underlying core to the game.

It means that object etc. in the orld were represented in the same way. The only difference was the graphics and a few extra things added in.
Mon 05/09/05 at 15:07
Regular
"bit of a brain"
The combat system was completely overhauld in the sense that they didn't use the same code from OOT or MM, so maybe that's what he meant. Playing it, though, the fighting in WW is much more flowing, so you can mix together any moves you like very easily for as long as you like, where as previous you had a couple of preset combos. I guess that's a pretty big difference.
Mon 05/09/05 at 15:04
Regular
gerrid wrote:
> Bonus wrote:
> Good, someone who didn't just shout at me for having an opinion :-D.
>
> No one did that. People disagreed with you, that's not the same as
> dismissing you.

Again, you're not particularly a person doing that, as such, you've never been singalled out for criticism ;).
Mon 05/09/05 at 15:03
Regular
gerrid wrote:
> Bonus wrote:
> So it wasn't completely overhauled and isn't all that different,
> they
> just added a couple of things :-).
>
> Where did I say it was completely overhauled or completely different?
> It's just slightly different and more fun and fluid to use.

You personally didn't, Dr Duck and Dringo did though :-).

Dringo's exact words were

combat system - almost complete overhaul, which I find amusing :D.
Mon 05/09/05 at 15:00
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Bonus wrote:
> Good, someone who didn't just shout at me for having an opinion :-D.

No one did that. People disagreed with you, that's not the same as dismissing you.
Mon 05/09/05 at 14:59
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Bonus wrote:
> So it wasn't completely overhauled and isn't all that different, they
> just added a couple of things :-).

Where did I say it was completely overhauled or completely different? It's just slightly different and more fun and fluid to use.
Mon 05/09/05 at 14:59
Regular
gimo80 wrote:
> No, no, no, I said terms of gameplay, heh :)

Good, someone who didn't just shout at me for having an opinion :-D.

I do find the gameplay of Zelda basic, that's maybe why I get bored of it :).

I should stop forcing myself to try and fit the game and just get back to enjoying more complex and tactically engaging titles like Final Fantasy.
Mon 05/09/05 at 14:56
Regular
"Divine Davine"
Bonus wrote:
> gimo80 wrote:
> And as for my best game ever, it's gotta be Ocarina Of Time. It is a
> timeless classic that hasn't even aged one bit. If that game came
> out
> in the next generation of consoles, it will still stand up in terms
> of
> gameplay - it's that good. A true classic.
>
>
> Ha Ha Ha.
>
> I can't help but laugh at some of these comments :-).
>
> I hope you're not meaning ages in terms of graphics at least.

No, no, no, I said terms of gameplay, heh :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.