GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"American Football Games?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 14/09/05 at 12:51
Regular
"Shamon!"
So, it's that time of year again, the season kicked off last weekend and the latest offerings are due for release.

Except this year, there will only be the one. EA Sports have exclusive rights to NFL players and teams, so the only NFL game this year will be Madden NFL 06. Wonderful.

I've been a mug in the past and bought every version of Madden, from the MegaDrive days right through to last years Xbox version. I also bought the last two NFL 2k series games, which were far superior to Madden. Now, that's not going to be an option.

What's new in Madden this year? Erm, very little indeed. Updated rosters, which are out-of-date anyway by the time the game gets released, and some new "superstar" mode where you can control the lifestyle of one player. from what I've heard, it's not much cop, as it's all driven by text menus. Yawn.

I've seen no plans for NFL 2k6, but given they wouldn't be able to sue NFL players or teams, I don't think that's much of a surprise. I see Midway are due to release Blitz: The League in October in the US, but, surprise surprise, no EU release date.

If you don't like FIFA, which most of us don't, we buy Pro Evo. No official license for Premier League, but a far superior game. A better option.

In maerican football, we simply have no other option. The only choise we have is to NOT buy this years version. Which is the option I'll be taking, and holding out hope Midway release Blitz: The League over here.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Fri 16/09/05 at 10:45
Regular
"Shamon!"
Bonus wrote:
> The 360 Madden looks exactly the same as the Xbox version just with a
> higher resolution and more detailed models, making it not worth
> buying on a next gen machine at a next gen price.

But let's be honest - if you're an american football fan, you'd HAVE to buy this game on the 360.

Personally, I won't be buying it on the Xbox. But if i do end up buying a 360, it'll be the first game I get. Sure, it might be exactly the same gameplay-wise, but the graphics etc will be much better.

Therefore, for american football fans, it IS worth buying.
Fri 16/09/05 at 10:25
Regular
The 360 Madden looks exactly the same as the Xbox version just with a higher resolution and more detailed models, making it not worth buying on a next gen machine at a next gen price.
Fri 16/09/05 at 09:52
Regular
"Shamon!"
AfroJoe wrote:
> I'll definitely be getting Madden. It's a shame it's pretty similar to
> the 2005 version seeing as I had that as well, but I owned the
> Gamecube version, so the Xbox 360 version will be a completely new
> thing for me due to the online play. So I'm sure I'll be perfectly
> happy with it.

Madden on the Xbox 360 would, I think, be an essential purchase. But on the standard Xbox? I'm not so sure.

It's supposed to be released today, right? So if Special Reserve say "Stock due shortly", does that mean it's NOT been released?

Which wouldn't surprise me at all, the 2005 edition was delay after delay after delay
Thu 15/09/05 at 18:40
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
I'll definitely be getting Madden. It's a shame it's pretty similar to the 2005 version seeing as I had that as well, but I owned the Gamecube version, so the Xbox 360 version will be a completely new thing for me due to the online play. So I'm sure I'll be perfectly happy with it.
Thu 15/09/05 at 14:34
Regular
"Shamon!"
Well, I'd probably get Madden on the 360, simply because it's the only option, and an american footy game will look amazing on that.

On the standard Xbox, we have other options, like playing last years game, or the superior NFL2k5.

I just hope Midway do the smart thing . . . .
Wed 14/09/05 at 22:28
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
I was thinking of picking up Madden 06 for the 360. But I probably won't bother now. Its ashame that NFL Fever won't be coming out, cause I enjoyed that on XBox.

I think that whole XSN Sports thing Microsoft did was done too early. It would have been better to launch a big sports network like that on the 360 - especially when you think of things like Gotham TV coming.
Wed 14/09/05 at 13:03
Regular
"Shamon!"
Bonus wrote:
> I just got NFL Street 2 for the PSP, damn fine arcade American
> Football game.
>
> Definately shallow, which is why it works so well on the PSP.
>
> I'd agree that Madden doesn't look all that great this year.

I've got Street 2 for the Xbox, and it's very shallow, but fun.

Madden '06 has not been at all well-received in the US. I think it's a joke, they must have thought "We'll have no competition this year, let's just churn out any old rubbish"

I'll be very interested to see what happens in the US when Blitz comes out next month. I really hope Midway release it over here, but as I'm not fully up-to-speed with games, I don't know what Midways record is like for releasing games this side of the water?
Wed 14/09/05 at 12:52
Regular
I just got NFL Street 2 for the PSP, damn fine arcade American Football game.

Definately shallow, which is why it works so well on the PSP.

I'd agree that Madden doesn't look all that great this year.
Wed 14/09/05 at 12:51
Regular
"Shamon!"
So, it's that time of year again, the season kicked off last weekend and the latest offerings are due for release.

Except this year, there will only be the one. EA Sports have exclusive rights to NFL players and teams, so the only NFL game this year will be Madden NFL 06. Wonderful.

I've been a mug in the past and bought every version of Madden, from the MegaDrive days right through to last years Xbox version. I also bought the last two NFL 2k series games, which were far superior to Madden. Now, that's not going to be an option.

What's new in Madden this year? Erm, very little indeed. Updated rosters, which are out-of-date anyway by the time the game gets released, and some new "superstar" mode where you can control the lifestyle of one player. from what I've heard, it's not much cop, as it's all driven by text menus. Yawn.

I've seen no plans for NFL 2k6, but given they wouldn't be able to sue NFL players or teams, I don't think that's much of a surprise. I see Midway are due to release Blitz: The League in October in the US, but, surprise surprise, no EU release date.

If you don't like FIFA, which most of us don't, we buy Pro Evo. No official license for Premier League, but a far superior game. A better option.

In maerican football, we simply have no other option. The only choise we have is to NOT buy this years version. Which is the option I'll be taking, and holding out hope Midway release Blitz: The League over here.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.