GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The DVD revolution - When Will DVD finally deliver its Versatility?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 04/01/01 at 20:02
Regular
DVD (Digital Versatile Disc) has brought a revolution in home entertainment, be it DVD based videogames or DVD videos. With DVD videos for example, the picture is crisper, the sound CD quality, and not having to rewind and fastforward the video like with VHS, are but a few of the reasons that means DVD is the media of the future.
However it is sad to think that most DVD video releases do not yet make full use of the new media. There are a few new DVD movies that make use of the extra space adding extra footage, scripts, behind the scenes video and other extras... But there are also alot of movies that are no more than the a film rereleased with no extras, and this is just plain disapointing.
Myself I welcome the day when extras will become standard, and I'ld like to see more extras included. For example many films have a older rating just because of a few sex scenes, etc... that are not always necessary to the plot of the film.
The best of these films are eventually appropriately dubbed, and cut so they can be shown to a younger audience on TV channels like ITV or on Airlines. I would like to see such DVD films have options built in so you could select say to watch the 12 instead of the 15 version of a film (on the same DVD), this is not beyond DVDs capabilities violent or innapropriate scenes could easily be skipped and an alternative audio track with less swearing could easily be added to the DVD.
Im not saying that violence or sex is bad, but that sometimes you may want to watch a good film with your younger brothers or sisters, and the option to select a suitable age rating would be nice.
DVD is definately the media of the future, and does to VHS what the CompactDisc did to the casette tape. I just hope more companies take full advantage of DVDs full potential.
Sun 14/01/01 at 17:02
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Lenny Henry should have played Cat....
Sun 14/01/01 at 14:07
Regular
"And Sharon Stone as the woman he loved..."
Sun 14/01/01 at 13:49
Most big budget films do mess up as you say, but hopefully the Red Dwarf filmcrew will have a bar on the set to ensure the quality of the production.
Besides which, big films that mess up TV series usually have a different cast of actors(e.g. if Hollywood was involved Densel Washington would end up playing Lister!), this will have the original cast and so should be good.
Fri 12/01/01 at 19:41
"possibly impossible"
Red Dwarf film? that would be good (apart from the fact that most big budget films seem to muck up completely good TV series they are based on)
Thu 11/01/01 at 15:13
So are they actually going to get a RedDwarf film out????? Theyve been talking for years but nothings ever materialised!
Wed 10/01/01 at 20:53
"possibly impossible"
I wouldn't be suprised if the BBC already have this idea in the pipeline. They've been very slow to get on the DVD bandwagon, but it seems that sales of Blackadder and Monty Python have been good enough to warrant further programmes being put onto the format. Red Dwarf is a big seller, so I would imagine that the Beeb have this lined up.
Wed 10/01/01 at 20:46
Regular
www.reddwarf.co.uk

New web site... loads of information about the series, and stuff about the film too. HUGE site. Worth looking into.

Perhaps if we bombard them with emails, they'll make Red Dwarf DVD's.
Wed 10/01/01 at 19:04
good idea, infact its because of the Smeg ups that we realise exactly what that guy says to Rimmer and Kryten in the bar Forwards in the episode "Backwards", quite amzing it is too!
Wed 10/01/01 at 18:43
Regular
"Looking for freedom"
What they could proabably do is release DVD with all episodes from one series and include all (or at least some) of the outtakes from the Smeg Up videos as extras.

I'm very surprised they haven't already done this yet, given the popularity of the series. Maybe they'll wait until the film is about, which would draw more attention to the releases.
Tue 09/01/01 at 21:48
Well Smoke me a kipper, I was right! Red Dwarf is great, except for the last but 1 series which was a bit dull. The Polymorph II episode, and Backwards are my personal favourites, although they're all really good. A DVD release of the Red Dwarf series would be class.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.