GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The DVD revolution - When Will DVD finally deliver its Versatility?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 04/01/01 at 20:02
Regular
DVD (Digital Versatile Disc) has brought a revolution in home entertainment, be it DVD based videogames or DVD videos. With DVD videos for example, the picture is crisper, the sound CD quality, and not having to rewind and fastforward the video like with VHS, are but a few of the reasons that means DVD is the media of the future.
However it is sad to think that most DVD video releases do not yet make full use of the new media. There are a few new DVD movies that make use of the extra space adding extra footage, scripts, behind the scenes video and other extras... But there are also alot of movies that are no more than the a film rereleased with no extras, and this is just plain disapointing.
Myself I welcome the day when extras will become standard, and I'ld like to see more extras included. For example many films have a older rating just because of a few sex scenes, etc... that are not always necessary to the plot of the film.
The best of these films are eventually appropriately dubbed, and cut so they can be shown to a younger audience on TV channels like ITV or on Airlines. I would like to see such DVD films have options built in so you could select say to watch the 12 instead of the 15 version of a film (on the same DVD), this is not beyond DVDs capabilities violent or innapropriate scenes could easily be skipped and an alternative audio track with less swearing could easily be added to the DVD.
Im not saying that violence or sex is bad, but that sometimes you may want to watch a good film with your younger brothers or sisters, and the option to select a suitable age rating would be nice.
DVD is definately the media of the future, and does to VHS what the CompactDisc did to the casette tape. I just hope more companies take full advantage of DVDs full potential.
Thu 04/01/01 at 20:02
DVD (Digital Versatile Disc) has brought a revolution in home entertainment, be it DVD based videogames or DVD videos. With DVD videos for example, the picture is crisper, the sound CD quality, and not having to rewind and fastforward the video like with VHS, are but a few of the reasons that means DVD is the media of the future.
However it is sad to think that most DVD video releases do not yet make full use of the new media. There are a few new DVD movies that make use of the extra space adding extra footage, scripts, behind the scenes video and other extras... But there are also alot of movies that are no more than the a film rereleased with no extras, and this is just plain disapointing.
Myself I welcome the day when extras will become standard, and I'ld like to see more extras included. For example many films have a older rating just because of a few sex scenes, etc... that are not always necessary to the plot of the film.
The best of these films are eventually appropriately dubbed, and cut so they can be shown to a younger audience on TV channels like ITV or on Airlines. I would like to see such DVD films have options built in so you could select say to watch the 12 instead of the 15 version of a film (on the same DVD), this is not beyond DVDs capabilities violent or innapropriate scenes could easily be skipped and an alternative audio track with less swearing could easily be added to the DVD.
Im not saying that violence or sex is bad, but that sometimes you may want to watch a good film with your younger brothers or sisters, and the option to select a suitable age rating would be nice.
DVD is definately the media of the future, and does to VHS what the CompactDisc did to the casette tape. I just hope more companies take full advantage of DVDs full potential.
Sun 07/01/01 at 21:20
Anyone else with any comments????
Mon 08/01/01 at 13:45
Regular
"Looking for freedom"
I think it's a shame that DVDs have been chosen as a film media in the first place. Even with all that space (about 9Gb on 2 layers) the video still has to be compressed which causes some quality to be lost.

There is a new media almost ready for unveiling called Fluorescent Multilayer Disc (FMD) which initially will have 10 layers (about 140GB) but this will be later expanded to 100 layers (about 1000Gb). This could easily hold films. extras and whatever, completely uncompressed - which would allow for cheap players. Layer changes aren't a problem on decent DVD players anyway so why should it be here?

Being uncompressed there would also be no 'MPEG glitches' that some discs and cheap players produce.

The cost of disc production is comparable to CD-RW discs so the films would (should) be cheaper.

Unfortunately this new technology will probably fall flat on it's face because of the frenzy DVD has created. Also, the fact that the cost per unit (and, therefore, profit per unit) is significantly less I can't see it even being considered.
Mon 08/01/01 at 14:36
Wow you really are the fountain of DVD/Computer knowledge. That new media sounds pretty impressive, I guess the reason DVD has been pushed is because it was the first format that could adequately hold a film Digitally, after all we wouldnt want a format that could hold 10 films on 1 disc would we???? That would give the pirates a field day

Imagine down the market

All the latest films from america on one FMD, only £6.99... no loss in picture quality, perfect digital surround sound.

Unfortunately your right, thats just a Dream.
Mon 08/01/01 at 15:30
Regular
"Looking for freedom"
Thanks for the compliment.

I'm not sure what sizes DVD films are compressed from (anyone?) but I'd guess it was at the most 4Mb/sec.

Imagine if films WERE compressed when put onto FMDs! You're right, it would be ridiculous! I think the Every Film Ever idea may still be a box-set though - maybe divided up into decades or genres!

You could have the film equivalent of music compilation albums! Imagine buying a copy of 'Now That's What I Call Films 45' with 40 recent films on it!

It may make the film companies less money per sale but imagine how many more people would be buying DVD players if films we're as cheap as (if not cheaper than) CD albums!

The other advantage of an FMD would be that, as well as an uncompressed film, you could also include a full uncompressed soundtrack. This would probably be possible on most DVDs anyway, taking up and extra 800Mb or so, even if the other side had to be used - assuming DVD Audio takes off (which it won't).
Tue 09/01/01 at 17:47
Hey Smokedkipper, is your name derived from the famous RedDwarf episodes starring AceRimmer????
Tue 09/01/01 at 18:44
Regular
"Looking for freedom"
The New Jimmy wrote:
> Hey Smokedkipper, is your name derived from the famous RedDwarf
> episodes starring AceRimmer????

You are correct, sir. Well done for noticing.

When I first registered for something that needed a username (I can't remember what it was, but that's not important) I was stumped for something to use. Since I'd just watched an episode of Red Dwarf called Dimension Jump (the first one with Ace in) I thought I'd try to come up with a related name since I very much like the show. I didn't want anything obviously connected with the show and the first idea I came up with was 'SmokedKipper' (from, as you know, the phrase 'Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast') and it just seemed to stick and I've used it ever since. Good eh?

It's only been refused a couple of times - I'm SmokedKipper_79 (my birth year) on Yahoo and I use my old university logon ID for anything else (so far only my Halifax Internet banking).
Tue 09/01/01 at 20:47
Regular
I've always loved Red Dwarf... but my heart sunk half a year back when I couldn't buy all the videos...

Series four part one, Camile, and Series Five part 2, the one when Rimmer goes insane.
Tue 09/01/01 at 21:05
"possibly impossible"
Something I'd love to see on DVD would be the whole series of Red Dwarf, maybe with 3-4 episodes per DVD and a special feature or two on each disc.

If the BBC were really nice they'd also include an option to provide the whole of each season in a box set (like Buffy and X-files) to collect one by one. You could have the original version on one side of a disc and the remastered one on the other. There are plenty of extra features that the Beeb could dig out of their archives, at least 3 documentaries have been made and shown on TV, plus there are the two Smeg Up videos.

Interestingly, I went to see Craig Charles's stand up show last month. It was very blue and very funny, there were plenty of jokes about drinking and sex, very different from Red Dwarf, and he made a few jokes about hosting robot wars as well.
Tue 09/01/01 at 21:48
Well Smoke me a kipper, I was right! Red Dwarf is great, except for the last but 1 series which was a bit dull. The Polymorph II episode, and Backwards are my personal favourites, although they're all really good. A DVD release of the Red Dwarf series would be class.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.