GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"SKA Punk"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 17/01/03 at 16:57
Regular
Ive strated this topic because i personally hate everything about ska punk and anything that has anything to do with ska.
I justed wanted to know what the sr people think about
Tue 21/01/03 at 15:20
Regular
"Omnipresent"
Lubby Nugget. Listen to them, then change your mind...
Locky
Mon 20/01/03 at 18:09
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Tyler Durden wrote:
> But do SKA bands have trumpets in their bands like Less Than Jake and
> Jesse James?

Not necessarily. In fact as far as I know, many earlier ska bands had no brass at all (many seem to have used keyboards...) It is only really since people started mixing punk and ska that the brass came into the ska genre... (and even then many early ska-punk bands like The Clash and Operation Ivy had no brass)

Basically, trumpets and saxaphones and trombones and that are pretty much associated with ska punk now. But you do not need brass to play ska... (as shown recently by Londons mighty Mouthwash, great ska punk band)

The basic ska beat is one with emphasis on the second and fourth beat in a song (most ska punk songs employ this on the guitar part)... dunno if you understood that, but I know what I'm talking about. Ha.
Mon 20/01/03 at 07:45
Sibs wrote:
> Tyler Durden wrote:
> Is SKA a genre? If Reel Big Fish is the genre, then count me out.
>
> Reel Big Fish are not ska. They have heavy dosages of ska in them. But
> they are not pure ska. More like pop-ska-punk. Not a band I'm much of
> a fan of.
> Proper 'pure' ska is more like Bad Manners and Selector, which I find
> far too cheesy for my likings...

But do SKA bands have trumpets in their bands like Less Than Jake and Jesse James?
Fri 17/01/03 at 23:49
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
And Monkeycore...

;-)
Fri 17/01/03 at 23:34
"Uzi Lover"
Did you know theres a genre called queercore.

Just saying.
Fri 17/01/03 at 23:27
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Tyler Durden wrote:
> Is SKA a genre? If Reel Big Fish is the genre, then count me out.

Reel Big Fish are not ska. They have heavy dosages of ska in them. But they are not pure ska. More like pop-ska-punk. Not a band I'm much of a fan of.
Proper 'pure' ska is more like Bad Manners and Selector, which I find far too cheesy for my likings...

Oh, and add to my list of Sibs approved ska-punk bands:
Mouthwash (London garage-punk-ska band with heavy clash influence)

The Caddies are okay. But I find much modern day ska-punk too cheesy. Less Than Jake are pretty good (should be going to see them in March) but that's about my limit...

There are however some good Ska'rdcore bands around now (Capdown, Five Knuckle, Link 80, Kenisia, Adequate 7, etc.) who are messing around with ska and hardcore together, and some even with ska and metallic hardcore...
A ska-metal band would be potentially hilarious.
Fri 17/01/03 at 21:16
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Mad Caddies.

Rule.
Fri 17/01/03 at 21:02
Is SKA a genre? If Reel Big Fish is the genre, then count me out.
Fri 17/01/03 at 18:30
Regular
I dont like Ska either, punk is ok but gets annoying.
Fri 17/01/03 at 17:47
Regular
" ban the Taliban"
I like Ska, Reel Big Fish are excellent.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.