GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Violence on TV."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 16/01/03 at 11:42
Regular
Possibly this is going in the wrong forum, but nevermind.

Something occured to me last night about violence on telly, and whether it affects people or not, which was this:

If people aren't affected by stuff on telly, then why do companies spend millions of pounds each year on television adverts?

Please don't say "Well, that's different" because it's not. In my view. Advertisers hope that people will see something on telly and want it, so they'll trot off down to the shops and buy it.

So what's the difference between that and violence? If an advert glamourises a chocolate bar, or a CD, or a book, or a supermarket, the company who made that advert will want it to influence the viewer, so that the viewer will switch to that bank, or shop at that shop, or search using that web-site, or... you get the picture.

So why is the same not said of violence?

Don't get me wrong, I don't think that every person who watched Messiah 2 the other weekend will go out and bury someone alive. That's not the point I'm trying to make. Nor am I picking on Messiah 2.

My point is that TV must influence people, even if it is just a tiny, tiny amount, otherwise advertising agencies wouldn't spend all that money out each year TRYING to influence people.

So, here is my question to you:

Does TV influence people? Even if it is influence in such a small minute way, that doesn't matter.

If you reply "Yes, I think TV does influence people, even if it's only a teeny-weeny bit." then you are backing up advertisers claims, so they are not wasting all that money. But you are also saying that people can be influenced, even in the tiniest way, by other things they see on telly.

If you answer "No, TV doesn't influence people at all, not even in the slighest, smallest way.", then you must wonder why 3 TV channels on terrestrial TV manage to survive purely from the income of adverts. But you can sleep safe in your beds knowing that people won't be influenced by anything else they see on the box.

And, in my opinion, it's as simple as that. Cut and dried. Yes or no.
Mon 20/01/03 at 09:57
Regular
Everything we come into contact with has an influence, but to what degree is impossible to measure.
Thu 16/01/03 at 20:47
Regular
"Z will be here soon"
Memorandum wrote:
> If someone else makes another comment against TV violence I'll kill
> you all exactly the same way I saw Richard Hillman kill Maxine on
> Coronation Street!!!!!!!!!!!

Erm, right.
Thu 16/01/03 at 20:40
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
If someone else makes another comment against TV violence I'll kill you all exactly the same way I saw Richard Hillman kill Maxine on Coronation Street!!!!!!!!!!!
Thu 16/01/03 at 20:34
Regular
"Z will be here soon"
gerrid wrote:
> I need loans.
> Give me loans.
> LOANS!
> I have blades man, BLADES!

You been on the Jessop Jessop Jessop ?
Thu 16/01/03 at 20:29
Regular
"bit of a brain"
I need loans.
Give me loans.
LOANS!
I have blades man, BLADES!
Thu 16/01/03 at 20:07
Regular
"Gtag=NOTORIOUS JCP"
Kyz22 wrote:
> It can influence people slightly, especially easily lead people (Eg
> the young) As you see young kids enacting things they see in films or
> TV shows.
>
> When you mature so does your mind and you see a stronger difference
> from entertainment & the media.
>
> Adverts are nowadays aimed to make people think they need a certain
> thing and that they cannot survive without it.
>
> You dont see "Buy walkers crisps, they are nice"
>
> You see, "blah blah, could reduce heart disease and make you live
> longer"
>
> I should be a lawyer.

I doubt your gonna see a 3 year old with his daddys mac 10 because he saw one on rugrats ( bad example lol)

fair point though
Thu 16/01/03 at 20:03
Regular
"Z will be here soon"
It can influence people slightly, especially easily lead people (Eg the young) As you see young kids enacting things they see in films or TV shows.

When you mature so does your mind and you see a stronger difference from entertainment & the media.

Adverts are nowadays aimed to make people think they need a certain thing and that they cannot survive without it.

You dont see "Buy walkers crisps, they are nice"

You see, "blah blah, could reduce heart disease and make you live longer"

I should be a lawyer.
Thu 16/01/03 at 20:00
Regular
"Baros!!!"
Adverts are for encouraging people to buy or do something.

and Films and programs are for entertainment.
Thu 16/01/03 at 19:55
"slightlyshortertagl"
advertising is the art of encouraging people to buy what they don't need'
Thu 16/01/03 at 19:40
Regular
"Gtag=NOTORIOUS JCP"
When i play gta vc i pick up prostitutes( do my thing with them ) then beat them sensless and get my money back, this is not real the same way violence on tv isnt real (unless your watching a documentary)
This could go on for ever you could say people are influenced by books or even the radio.
The thing im trying to say is people can be influenced by anything, so there is nothing anyone can do about it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.