GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Rio Ferdinand - Good Business"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 06/01/03 at 13:13
Regular
Now this may shock a few people, but as a Man United fan I didn't see the point in pouring £30million on 1 defender, especially if you look at the defenders that were available to buy at then time.

If you scour the world Alex Ferguson could have bought any of these defenders:

Kevin Hofland - £10-£12m
Ayala - £10m
Lillain Turam - £10m

So for £30m he could have had the best defence in the world. Therefore the question must be why by Ferdinand?

Almost everyone must be able to agree that since coming to United he hasn't been the best defender you've seen by a long shot. However duing the World Cup there was a growing following for Ferdinand, and we all know how big Man Utds following is in Japan/China. Therefore buy purchasing Ferdinand for £30million - a player who was one of the biggest stars at the world cup - Man Utd showed that the fans that they will buy a player mearly to make money. How?

If Man Utd shirts are £50 a pop with Ferdinands name on the back, and Ferdinand cost £30million, Man Utd would only have to shift an extra 600,000 shirts with his name on the back to break even...now how many shirts do you think were sold abroad due to the purchase of Rio!

Alex Ferguson has therefore shown why he is a shrewd business man!!
Wed 15/01/03 at 12:11
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:

> Anyway, your theory doesn't exaplain Barthez! :-)

An Arsenal fan criticising another teams goalie. That's a laugh.
Tue 14/01/03 at 19:01
Regular
"smile, it's free"
I'd have to agree with Wookiee - Veron's own goal was much better.

After all, it's not hard to lob Seaman from 30 yards.
Tue 14/01/03 at 12:58
"High polygon count"
Or†ega wrote:
> Not on par with Dixons 30 yrd lob against Seaman! :P

Far better - he wasn't looking at the goal, and still managed to bury it!
Tue 14/01/03 at 12:24
Regular
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> VenomByte wrote:
> Veron was dire last season, but has improved hugely since then.
>
> Indeed - scored one of the best OG's I've ever seen!

Not on par with Dixons 30 yrd lob against Seaman! :P
Tue 14/01/03 at 11:14
"High polygon count"
VenomByte wrote:
> Veron was dire last season, but has improved hugely since then.

Indeed - scored one of the best OG's I've ever seen!

> It's likely we'll see big imporvements from Ferdinand

Well, that wouldn't be difficult!

Anyway, your theory doesn't exaplain Barthez! :-)
Tue 14/01/03 at 10:41
Regular
"smile, it's free"
You have to remember that most of the players Fergie buys don't 'settle' for a season or so anyway - Veron was dire last season, but has improved hugely since then. Jaap Stam was a joke when he first came to United too, but a couple of years later he was as solid as a rock. It's likely we'll see big imporvements from Ferdinand when he's apadpted to United's style.
Tue 14/01/03 at 08:12
Regular
"Big Pimpin'"
Hunky Funky Monkey wrote:

> Come on Marshie, you really believe everything you read in the papers?
> There is no way that United would have bought Ayala, Hofland and
> Thuram, and the only reason that United got Rio is simply for the fact
> that he was the only defender on Ferguson's list who wanted to move to
> United.

It's a fair point, all the other defenders are on big money contracts elsewhere, but the purchase of Veron (even though he's as good as Jim Bowen in a China shop....well Bully wasn't available....Innnnn One), went to show that United are capable of attracting the big names regardless of what club they're currently at, or what wage their currently earning. Mind you, would you want to move from Spain or Italy to move to Manchester...no...thought not!
Mon 13/01/03 at 21:18
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> I prefer Cygan and Campbell myself - defence hasn't been as solid
> since Cygan got injured - they're more used to each other, I reckon.

Being a fellow Gooner myself Wookie, I agree completely with you. Cygan has strength and class and has turned out to be one of the bargains of the season. He partners Campbell very well, as both are similar and work well together.

Looks like another classy bargain for Wenger, following in the same style of previous bargains; Ljunberg, Vieira, Pires, Gilberto, oh, and not forgetting a certain Mr. Henry!
Mon 13/01/03 at 21:04
Ferdinand, another massive waste of money by Ferguson, the only thing he tends to do now he is in a United shirt is play useless route 1 balls, or give the ball away on the edge of the penalty box, resulting in United conceding a goal.

Come on Marshie, you really believe everything you read in the papers? There is no way that United would have bought Ayala, Hofland and Thuram, and the only reason that United got Rio is simply for the fact that he was the only defender on Ferguson's list who wanted to move to United. Ferguson knew he was not going to get Ayala, Hofland or Thuram, simply because they did not want to leave their lucrative contracts at their current teams regardless of what the papers had to say.

The buy of Rio is just another complete waste of money which Ferguson seems to have a habit of doing; just look at the purchase of Veron for around £28m who simply isn't suited to English football. Also, spending £7.5m on Forlan, another waste of money on a player who has about as good finishing abilities as my Nan when faced with a one-on-one with a keeper!
Wed 08/01/03 at 12:46
Regular
"Big Pimpin'"
Sure do....do it for a living, so it's as easy as eating pie (not 3.14159265)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.