GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Rio Ferdinand - Good Business"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 06/01/03 at 13:13
Regular
Now this may shock a few people, but as a Man United fan I didn't see the point in pouring £30million on 1 defender, especially if you look at the defenders that were available to buy at then time.

If you scour the world Alex Ferguson could have bought any of these defenders:

Kevin Hofland - £10-£12m
Ayala - £10m
Lillain Turam - £10m

So for £30m he could have had the best defence in the world. Therefore the question must be why by Ferdinand?

Almost everyone must be able to agree that since coming to United he hasn't been the best defender you've seen by a long shot. However duing the World Cup there was a growing following for Ferdinand, and we all know how big Man Utds following is in Japan/China. Therefore buy purchasing Ferdinand for £30million - a player who was one of the biggest stars at the world cup - Man Utd showed that the fans that they will buy a player mearly to make money. How?

If Man Utd shirts are £50 a pop with Ferdinands name on the back, and Ferdinand cost £30million, Man Utd would only have to shift an extra 600,000 shirts with his name on the back to break even...now how many shirts do you think were sold abroad due to the purchase of Rio!

Alex Ferguson has therefore shown why he is a shrewd business man!!
Mon 06/01/03 at 13:13
Regular
"Big Pimpin'"
Now this may shock a few people, but as a Man United fan I didn't see the point in pouring £30million on 1 defender, especially if you look at the defenders that were available to buy at then time.

If you scour the world Alex Ferguson could have bought any of these defenders:

Kevin Hofland - £10-£12m
Ayala - £10m
Lillain Turam - £10m

So for £30m he could have had the best defence in the world. Therefore the question must be why by Ferdinand?

Almost everyone must be able to agree that since coming to United he hasn't been the best defender you've seen by a long shot. However duing the World Cup there was a growing following for Ferdinand, and we all know how big Man Utds following is in Japan/China. Therefore buy purchasing Ferdinand for £30million - a player who was one of the biggest stars at the world cup - Man Utd showed that the fans that they will buy a player mearly to make money. How?

If Man Utd shirts are £50 a pop with Ferdinands name on the back, and Ferdinand cost £30million, Man Utd would only have to shift an extra 600,000 shirts with his name on the back to break even...now how many shirts do you think were sold abroad due to the purchase of Rio!

Alex Ferguson has therefore shown why he is a shrewd business man!!
Mon 06/01/03 at 15:15
"High polygon count"
Marshie wrote:
> Kevin Hofland - £10-£12m
> Ayala - £10m
> Lillain Turam - £10m

Or Pascal Cygan for £2.5m - every bit as good as any of them, I reckon!
Mon 06/01/03 at 15:40
Regular
"Big Pimpin'"
Fair point my Wookie friend! That would have been a good signing for United.

Why Fergie also decided not to even try to sign Sol Cambell when he was leaving on a free a couple of years ago i'll never know!

Cannivaro recently was sold as well, for about £18m! He's miles better than Rio.

Mind You anythings better than tweedle dee and tweedle dumb at the back (take your choice of whos who from Rio, Blanc, O'Shea!!).
Mon 06/01/03 at 16:56
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Marshie wrote:
> Lillain Turam - £10m

---

Maybe for the other two, but I don't think Lilian Thuram would be as little as that.

Admittedly, he's not exactly the best player Juventus have got, but they aren't going to let him go cheap, if they let him go at all. And also, they bought him off Parma for around £22 million, so I'd think if they were going to sell him now, they'd want to have made a little bit of a profit.

But still, he'd have probably done better than Rio Ferdinand has done so far. :-D
Mon 06/01/03 at 17:23
Regular
Cygan is a joker! Hence Keown being the prefered partner for Campbell.
Mon 06/01/03 at 17:27
"High polygon count"
I prefer Cygan and Campbell myself - defence hasn't been as solid since Cygan got injured - they're more used to each other, I reckon.
Mon 06/01/03 at 19:03
Regular
"Baros!!!"
Marshie wrote:

> Why Fergie also decided not to even try to sign Sol Cambell when he
> was leaving on a free a couple of years ago i'll never know!

A year before his contract was up, he was supposed to be going to Man United on a free bosman. But when his contract expired he signed a contract at Arsenal.
Tue 07/01/03 at 10:42
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I strongly agree - the whole Rio Ferdinand thing was a joke -- especially when it was £30m that could have been very-well spent on 2 other players we really needed like Kluivert and Hofland, for example.

But what's wrong with John O'Shea?
He's turned out to be an incredible young players to have achieved so much while knowing so little about first-team football!

Laurent Blanc may not be the best defender in the world anymore, but his European experience proves vital to us in the Champions' League.

Rio had a great World Cup, but I don't think I've ever seen play anywhere near that good from his days at West Ham, Leeds, or especially at United. Did you see him when we played at Elland Road earlier in the season? It virtually went and cacked his pants under all the pressure and abuse from the fans! And he still don't look that-much-better today, even if he hadn't been booked for something like 95 games untill recently.
Fergie's going to have to work VERY-hard with this guy if he really believed it can actually work!!

I also don't understand why he didn't move for Campbell when he became available after all that speculation. I guess that £80,000-per-week contract he finally signed with Arsenal was too-much at the time for Manchester United's board to remain satisfied...!
Tue 07/01/03 at 10:54
Regular
"Big Pimpin'"
Solskjær wrote:

> But what's wrong with John O'Shea?
> He's turned out to be an incredible young players to have achieved so
> much while knowing so little about first-team football!

O'Shea is a great prospect for Man Utd but I don't think he is ready for the Premiership yet, he needs to go on loan for another season or two to get first team experience, and the lower leagues will toughen him up a bit because he is a bit of a lightweight!

O'Sheas problem for me is that he likes to dwell on the ball too long or run with the ball rather than pass. Those combined mean he just gives the ball away too often. BUT for his first season he's doing alright, I just think it's too early for him.

As for £30m Rio...Kluivert and Hofland would have been the nuts of a double signing...Good Call
Tue 07/01/03 at 11:05
Regular
"Long time no see!"
John O'Shea a lightweight???

You've obviously been watching the guy running like Giggs down the left-wing instead of watching him defending one-on-one!

He's got great strength, and he's managed to muscle even the best of players off the ball on a number of occasions already this season using his true Irish Roy Keane-style physical strength.

I never would've said he was ready for the Premiership at the start of this season either, but after already having established himself so-quickly, I'd have to say he's there!
But he still has a long-way to go, despite how well he's done so far.

He's amazed us all and out-shone the rest - including Rio Ferdinand.
Undoubtabley one of the greatest young prospects to have emerged this season, along with Milner and Rooney!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.