GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why MS didn't support Blu-Ray..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 30/09/05 at 07:29
Regular
Being backed by Sony had nothing directly to do with it, but Sony did play a part in yet another lie-based hype-o-matic, ultimately being unable to deliver what they put on paper...

[URL]http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20050927_190208.html[/URL]
Wed 12/10/05 at 18:13
Regular
"lets go back"
If they had any sense they would, because the consumers only want one of them.
Wed 12/10/05 at 17:45
Well, there have been discussions about it. But nothing significant came out from them :(

But think of it like this; two not too dissimilar technologies started from two separate companies, with their own work ethics, structure, methods and ideas. They're hardly going to agree on brigning them together and sharing the profits.
Wed 12/10/05 at 17:36
Regular
"lets go back"
Precicely. Thats the only real difference. Size. So they should just go for the biggest.
Tue 11/10/05 at 20:30
You mean, besides the 10-20GB (for dual layers) size difference?
Tue 11/10/05 at 18:42
Regular
"lets go back"
I understand that there are two different ways of doing it so the two camps are fighting over which way to do it. What I mena was why are they arguing over which is better when in reality they are pretty much the same. They should just flip a coin or something and the winner becomes the new standard.
Mon 10/10/05 at 08:00
Regular
"\\"
Betamax? - What?

Don't make things up!
Mon 10/10/05 at 07:07
Regular
Geffdof wrote:
> Surely all they'd have to do for that though is increase
> the storage space on the disk so why is there such a big fight going
> on?

Er, that's the reason the two technologies have come about...

The 'big fight' is down to different Companies developing different types of high-storage media and different ways of reading/writing to them. This kind of thing isn't unusual in the Technology world - remember Betamax?
Sun 09/10/05 at 22:44
Regular
"lets go back"
I dont see the bid deal with either Blu-ray or HD-DVD. I dont find any problems with DVD's as they are. All they can do I suppose is improve on picture quality. I remember the first time I saw a film on DVD and it blew me away so if they have that increase in quality I suppose its a good thing. Surely all they'd have to do for that though is increase the storage space on the disk so why is there such a big fight going on?
Sat 08/10/05 at 00:38
"High polygon count"
Fair do's!

One final and very interesting link...

[URL]http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/oct2005/tc2005106_9074_tc024.htm[/URL]

It is long, but it's well worth a read.
Thu 06/10/05 at 09:46
Regular
I'll be honest - I was lazy and didn't really give your links the looking at they required.

So it turns out the 'reports' that were focussed on in my link were incorrect? Oh well, that deems pretty much anything against what you say, useless :D

I'll just sit back and watch this whole thing form the sidelines - I don't want to be someone who blindly defends something they're not 100% up-to-speed on :D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.