GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Xbox lens/disc-reading problem"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 01/10/05 at 19:51
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I finally recieved the Xbox I bought off eBay today - and I must say, it's a damn sight smaller than what I was led to believe!

I've got a handful of games (also from eBay) which I'm dying to get into, but with the exception of GTA Vice City, my console seems unable to read any of the other discs. Shenmue II, GTA 3, Jet Set Radio/SEGA GT...

Okay, so the seller pointed out before hand that there was some kind of problem with the lens, perhaps, as it wouldn't read discs unless they were in top condition. Being a used console, £50 with 3 games, you've got to expect a problem here and there, anyway.

So, I'm left with the situation of not knowing what exactly I can do about this.

I've seen Xbox lens-cleaning disc kits available on eBay (99p +£1.50 p&p), but are they really any good? Will they do the job?

After a quick search on Google, I noted that it could be more to do with the mis-alignment of the laser, or something, and that the way to tackle this would be to open up the console, invalidate the warranty, bla bla bla. Unless, of course, I pay over the odds to have it 'serviced'... Not that I know of anywhere that services consoles anyway.

I don't anyone, who has an Xbox, to have had a problem come along quite like this one. If any of you have been here yourselves, I'd really appreciate your advice. Likewise, those of you who haven't, but are perhaps more educated in dealing with these sorts of things...

Thanks anyway. :)
(Hope someone can HELP!)
Wed 12/10/05 at 21:16
Regular
Oswaldo! wrote:
> Is there anything I can do with the old drive, like sell it on eBay
> and someone might actually want to buy one that 'has problems'?

Surprisingly there are people on eBay who'll buy a drive with problems, as long as you reduced the starting price and explain its condition.

> Also, for playing DVDs, is it simply a matter of buying one of those
> remote-things and plugging it in? No pricey software? Just 'unlocks'
> it?

To be honest the Dvd playback on my Xbox has never really been good, the picture has always flicked between light and dark colour. All you pay is the one-off £15-20 for the kit and then you just plug it into the controller port.

> And finally... Who else had problems with GTA III crashing/freezing
> at the most frustrating of times!? It'd taken me an hour to blow up
> four trucks with taxis and such, since my aim with a grenade is
> shockingly terrible! Still, it was a lot of fun though. :)

GTA was the worst game for saving, especially. If I so much as jogged through the garage save point it froze. Having played later GTA games I've realised how annoying little details are, like not being able to get out of a moving vehicle.
Wed 12/10/05 at 19:37
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Firstly, before I dash off to watch another nail-bitingly unconvincing England match, I'd like to thank everyone for their help in this thread as the new drive appears to have done the trick! Plus, it WAS easy to install after all (except for when I forgot to remove GTA III from the OLD drive first! :P )

Is there anything I can do with the old drive, like sell it on eBay and someone might actually want to buy one that 'has problems'?

Also, for playing DVDs, is it simply a matter of buying one of those remote-things and plugging it in? No pricey software? Just 'unlocks' it?

And finally... Who else had problems with GTA III crashing/freezing at the most frustrating of times!? It'd taken me an hour to blow up four trucks with taxis and such, since my aim with a grenade is shockingly terrible! Still, it was a lot of fun though. :)
Thu 06/10/05 at 15:13
Regular
"buy an xbox 360"
you find out which drive you have by step:1 look at the tray, does it have pc style clips? if so, you have a samsung drive, if not go to step 2 step:2 buy a torx screwdriver set, i found an 8 size set that can do all xbox screws for £3.99p, then pierce the stickers in the middle of the xbox (on the bottom) and undo these screws, then undo the screws under the rubber feet. step:3 pull the lid off and the top of your drive will be exposed, as well as your hard drive, if you want to remove the disc drive, you will need to remove the hard drive also, but the name of your disc drive will be printed on the top of your disc drive, does this solve your problem?
Thu 06/10/05 at 15:05
Regular
"buy an xbox 360"
if you dont have a samsung drive, it will probably last a long time, if you do have a samsung drive, it will last forever. i myself have a phillips drive and my xbox gave me 2 and a half years of reliable, constant service, some days running for up to 16 hours, only now is it dying, it still plays cds though,,,,,
if you dont have a samsung drive, buy one and replace it now: (warranty only lasts for one year from original purchase)
Tue 04/10/05 at 20:43
Regular
gr13ve wrote:
> n00b question - how do you find out what drive you have?

Search on google or ask people here for the link that shows each type of drive.

I forget which is which but you can tell from the shape and whether it has holes.

Just find the pic of different drives.
Tue 04/10/05 at 20:26
Regular
"Long time no see!"
It seems simple enough, the seller e-mailed me some instructions and a very basic list of tools I'll require - which, might I add, I already have! :P

(They said it was a waste of money at the time, but I KNEW all those torx-head screwdrives would come in handy, one day!! ;D )

I gave GTA 3 a try last night and it was actually working this time! Quite a nice game, I must say. But is it just because of my dodgy laser or are the graphics/animations/sprites/etc really cack in some parts - like when driving up a hill and sometimes you can see the ground below!

Then again, it is a PS2 port, right?

Loading times were really slow aswell (...) and it only seemed to crash just the once.

I can't wait for my new drive to arrive. Since it's called a DVD drive, does that also mean it can now run DVDs as standard, without having to 'unlock' them and what have you?

£70 for an Xbox, Halo, Midtown Madness 3, Ghost Recon 2, controller and now a new drive... That's still a bloody good deal to me!

Gamestation etc. can keep their £80! :P
Sun 02/10/05 at 16:01
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Just unscrew the box, pull out a few cables, bash stuff about, done.

Seriously though, there is a guide on an Xbox site...something to do with modding. I used that, I'll see if I can find it.

Skip Fable, it's horrific, and get KOTOR.
Sun 02/10/05 at 12:12
Regular
"hulagadoo"
n00b question - how do you find out what drive you have?
Sat 01/10/05 at 21:37
Regular
"Long time no see!"
NOOOOOOOOO!!!

No.. More....

EBAAAAY!!!

:s
Sat 01/10/05 at 21:35
Regular
I wasn't that bidder, sorry!

As for paying bids then it is possible to get the bid mutually withdrawn, but it does cause aggro and is more likely to get you negative feedback than a mutual withdrawal.

Sudeki is a little bit of an average RPG, I'd recommend something like Jade Empire or the, simply fantastic, KOTOR and KOTOR 2. KOTOR are brilliant Star Wars games and some of the best Xbox games available.

KOTOR : [URL]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Star-Wars-Knights-of-the-old-Republic-Xbox-KOTOR_W0QQitemZ8223038862QQcategoryZ27188QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem[/URL]
KOTOR 2 : [URL]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Star-Wars-KOTOR-II-The-Sith-Lord_W0QQitemZ8221611125QQcategoryZ27188QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem[/URL]

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.