GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Region 1 DVDs and the whole NTSC thang."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 03/01/03 at 22:55
Regular
Tried to play my region 1 DVDs on the TV downstairs the other day and they came out all black and white.
Crap.

Obviously my TV isn't NTSC compatible so I was wondering if anyone knew if there was a lead I could buy to connect my DVD player to the TV and colorerize* it?

*It's a word.
Mon 06/01/03 at 15:36
Regular
1) Some tv's just are not NTSC compatible.

2) Some tv's (like my older Sony) only does NTSC on SCART-1. The other SCART socket does not have it. Therefore, connect the DVD player to the correct socket + select the corresponding AV (SCART) button on the remote.

3) Don't try it using an aerial wire.

4) If you have a R1/R2 switchable player (like my old Pioneer), you will need to flick a switch on the back or change a setting in the menu, in order to use R1 dvd's. Don't forget to switch back again for R2 (UK) dvd's.

5) Your DVD player might be region free or multi. You may need to type in some sort of code using the remote to make it work with R1 dvd's.

6) If (like my old pioneer), your dvd drive only offers *true* NTSC, your tv MUST be compatible with NTSC-although many only accept it on one specific socket-check your tv manual.

7) Many modern drives can output *true* NTSC and a converted form of it which would stand a better chance of working with a normal UK PAL only (non-ntsc compatible) tv.

8) Assuming your dvd drive can output NTSC, but your tv just won't accept it on any socket, then your only option is a converter box.
Mon 06/01/03 at 11:26
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
Just check you're using a propper RGB SCART lead. No one should watch DVDs without these, but they often supply cheap composite ones in the box. The difference in picture quality is immense and it can sort out NTSC problems. £15-£30 on a half-way decient lead could sort out your problems and give you an very noticably improved picture.
Sun 05/01/03 at 22:31
Regular
Hmmm, sounds like a lot of work. I think I'll just keep the player upstairs.
Ta anyways.
Sun 05/01/03 at 14:42
Regular
"Kiss my face!"
Ok to resolve your problem you need to do the following (I used to have this player)

1: Set the switch at the back of the machine to PAL instead of AUTO or NTSC.

2: Play the disc.

3: If this still doesnt solve the problem, leave it with the switch at PAL and go into the SETUP menu.

4: Go to the PSEUDO PAL option and select ON. This will change your machine to output in PAL60 mode. If your tv is compatible with this then it should now work.

5: If it was already set to ON when you went into the above option in the first place then set it to OFF and try it with that (PAL50 mode).

Hope all the above info helps you out.
Sat 04/01/03 at 19:52
Regular
"The flux capacitor!"
Do you guys know what NTSC stands for?

Never The Same Colour

:P
Sat 04/01/03 at 19:38
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
WOO CKY!

Woo...
Sat 04/01/03 at 19:25
Regular
"I'm not Orgazmo"
Which after reading the original post of this thread you've already realised.

*slaps self

And yeah there is a lead cus my mate bought one becuase he couldn't watch my CKY dvd's on his TV.
Sat 04/01/03 at 19:23
Regular
"I'm not Orgazmo"
Erm, I use a scart lead and it's umm fine. I also used the disc in my mates playstation 2 on my TV and it played fine so I'm guessing it's the TV?
Sat 04/01/03 at 18:24
Regular
That has nothing to do with my question. Stop boasting and go away.

Urgh
Sat 04/01/03 at 16:16
Regular
"That's right!"
Our Sony TV is NTSC compatible I believe, but I'm not sure about the widescreen TV in my room, where I actually want to watch DVDs...

Funny, I bugged my parents for years about getting a widescreen TV downstairs, and they kept refusing. Soon as I got my own, they see how good they are and want one... typical, heh

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.