GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Region 1 DVDs and the whole NTSC thang."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 03/01/03 at 22:55
Regular
Tried to play my region 1 DVDs on the TV downstairs the other day and they came out all black and white.
Crap.

Obviously my TV isn't NTSC compatible so I was wondering if anyone knew if there was a lead I could buy to connect my DVD player to the TV and colorerize* it?

*It's a word.
Fri 03/01/03 at 22:55
Regular
Tried to play my region 1 DVDs on the TV downstairs the other day and they came out all black and white.
Crap.

Obviously my TV isn't NTSC compatible so I was wondering if anyone knew if there was a lead I could buy to connect my DVD player to the TV and colorerize* it?

*It's a word.
Fri 03/01/03 at 22:56
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Sometimes a SCART lead might do it.
Depends on the TV and DVD player

Other than that you might need a NTSC to PAL converter thingymagggig.

Or maybe the DVD is supposed to be black and white
:-P
Fri 03/01/03 at 22:59
Regular
Funny you say that actually cos the first DVD I tried was black and white..but then I tried some others(that were in color!) and they were in black and white too.
Thing is even the B&W DVDs don't really look right, something goes a bit weird with the picture and is it me or does the TV make a kind of high pitched sound?
Fri 03/01/03 at 23:04
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
How are they connected at the moment.
Also makes of TV and DVD player would help
Fri 03/01/03 at 23:07
Regular
DVD player - LG 3200E
TV - I think its a Toshiba

I use the scart lead that came with the DVD player.
Fri 03/01/03 at 23:09
Regular
"Hmmm....."
This is the problem I have with my PS2 and its NTSC games. So I got a Playstation NTSC - PAL converter and now theyre all in colour... and slightly better picture.

But, now every time I play a DVD its all orange. Like the saying "looking through pink tinted sunglasses" or something... and not pink... but orange...

Anyway, I was looking in Curry's/Comet the other day and I spotted one of these NTSC - PAL converters... but it was for DVDs instead of Playstation.

Have a look in Curry's/Comet and see if you can get hold of one. Its like a little box with 2 wires coming out of either end. One plugs into TV and one plugs into back of DVD player or whatever.

Yah.
Fri 03/01/03 at 23:12
Regular
But, now every time I play a DVD its all orange. Like the saying "looking through pink tinted sunglasses" or something... and not pink... but orange...

"Rose tinted glasses" have got nothing to do with the color you see things.
But thanks anyways.
Fri 03/01/03 at 23:13
Regular
"Hmmm....."
Same thing.

:-D
Fri 03/01/03 at 23:47
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
First use an RGB scart lead, not a cheap composite one (which probably is the one that came with your player). Remember that most TVs only have one RGB SCART input, the second one is normally just composite. Then makes sure the output from your player is switched to RGB if it is switchable.

Then there's the converter things - really they're just booster so you end up wiht a really poor picture. For a real digital converter it'll cost you hundereds (I think around £500).

Or you could try other TVs, a lot are NTSC compatible out of the box.
Sat 04/01/03 at 02:52
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Dr Gonzo wrote:
> Or you could try other TVs, a lot are NTSC compatible out of the box.

Yep, like my Toshiba. It was only £150 as well.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.