GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Blackhole me....."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 03/01/03 at 16:28
Regular
I am personally offering myself up to be launched into a Blackhole, all we have to do is raise 150 billion or so to train me up and to fuel the rocket into space. Hopefully I can take control of the ship from there and navitgate myself into one of the universes biggest mystery.

I could even have a blackbox type device to record my last few words describing the experince. I can then manually launch the box from the rear of the ship seconds before I'm sucked into the nexus of the universe.
Sun 05/01/03 at 03:13
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Sorry, me being dumb. It's all to do with who measured it all... and the time difference can be easily calculated using the time dilation equaltion:

td = time/ root(1 - VelcoitySquared/SpeedOfLightSquared)

where td is a measure of how much time is "dilated"... ie slowed. Thus, if you go at the speed of light, time is slowed infinitely and comes to a stand still for you. Eternal youth till the end of the universe! Of course, you would just see the universe end infinitely quickly and thus die!

Sonic
Sun 05/01/03 at 02:03
Regular
"Cardboard Tube Ninj"
===SONICRAV---> wrote:
> BEARDS. wrote:
> "if you reached 10% of light speed in both directions, which
> isn't impossible at all."
>
> What the hell does that mean - in both directions?

He wanted to send a message back. Hence I was stating that it would take that long if you reached that average speed in both directions.

> Oh, and this would still produce some big problems... here's a little
> quote:
>
> "Twin brothers live on Earth. One brother takes a trip to a
> distant star traveling at a high percentage of the speed of light.
> When the twin returns he will be younger than his brother because for
> him time slowed down during the trip"
>
> What I want to know is this. Suppose the brother travels at 50% the
> speed of light, and the star and back is a .5 light year journey.
> Therefore he get's back exactly a year after he has left. But whose
> year? For the brother travelling, a year would appear to be more than
> a year to his brother... so did he travel for more than a year Earth
> time?

Time is relative. A year would have passed for the Brother on Earth, as he is the one measuring the distance to the star and the speed of the craft. For the Brother in the craft, less time would have passed. How much exactly I don't know, I don't think it's a linear progression and you have to factor in the effect of gravity on the systems as well.
Sun 05/01/03 at 01:58
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Argh, that sounds like an Einstien theory of relativity problem to me.

*runs*
Sun 05/01/03 at 01:21
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
BEARDS. wrote:
"if you reached 10% of light speed in both directions, which isn't impossible at all."

What the hell does that mean - in both directions?

Oh, and this would still produce some big problems... here's a little quote:

"Twin brothers live on Earth. One brother takes a trip to a distant star traveling at a high percentage of the speed of light. When the twin returns he will be younger than his brother because for him time slowed down during the trip"

What I want to know is this. Suppose the brother travels at 50% the speed of light, and the star and back is a .5 light year journey. Therefore he get's back exactly a year after he has left. But whose year? For the brother travelling, a year would appear to be more than a year to his brother... so did he travel for more than a year Earth time?

Explain

Sonic
Sun 05/01/03 at 01:07
Regular
"Cardboard Tube Ninj"
morbo wrote:
> is that some sort of american joke as i an english man do not get it.

No, its just geekish.
Sun 05/01/03 at 01:06
Regular
"relocated"
It came out of my slashdot crackers.
Sun 05/01/03 at 01:05
Regular
"Balls"
is that some sort of american joke as i an english man do not get it.
Sun 05/01/03 at 01:00
Regular
"relocated"
Q: Why can't a geek travel at the speed of light?
A: He'll drop his copy of Linux Journal.
Sun 05/01/03 at 00:56
Regular
"Cardboard Tube Ninj"
No, I'm just a geek.
Sun 05/01/03 at 00:53
Regular
"Balls"
BEARDS are you some sort of expert on the universe, and blackholes... are you steven halkings

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.