GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Futurama - why cancel a good series?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 27/12/02 at 16:10
Regular
It's a shame, but it looks as though Futurama doesn't have a future. Despite being nearly as big a hit as The Simpsons, Fox have decided to end the run of the space based animated show.

Every episode I've seen has been entertaining, with some great one-liners. Perhaps they felt, like with the Simpsons, that it was running out of ideas and didn't want it to get stale, but it's more likely that the viewing figures weren't that good.

Still, I guess we're lucky here that we haven't even got half way through the episodes that have already been made, so there's plenty more to come for now.
Sun 05/01/03 at 22:11
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
Yes some new Simpsons episodes have been great. I wasn't too keen on today's one but it was still better than a lot of recent efforts. I really enjoyed the latest Treehouse Of Horror - "Now before I abandon you here, does anyone remember the way home?" One of Homer's clones raises hand. Homer pulls out a shotgun and takes him down with a shot. "Does anyone else remember?" once again a clone raises hand creating the same result.

Back to Futurama. One of the funniest moments has to be in the valentines day episode of series 2. Amy is looking to buy a new car and she tells the salesman how much she is willing to pay. You then see him talking to his boss through a window behind Amy. After he tells him, him and his boss hold hands and start jumping around. The manager sits looking out, smiling and watching Amy buy the car. The salesman goes back to her and says "he's not too happy" so she offers more and the manager gets real excited causing himself to blow up.

Orobably doesn't sound too funny but it's a visual gag and damn it's funny. the boss also appears as Fry's mental hospital roomate.
Sun 05/01/03 at 19:33
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
I think Simpsons is slowly recovering. Loved the reality TV show gags in tonights new one. They were walking through the offices of The Reality Television channel and on the walls there was posters for "Tied to a Bear" and "Mystery Injection".
Sun 05/01/03 at 16:23
Regular
"Randomly Appearing"
Its a shame about Futurama, it ruled.And in my opinion it was/is better than the last couple of series from The Simpsons (how many clip shows and epidsodes with omer injuring himsefand getting some "wacky"new job/adventure)

Long Live Bender!

"Kiss My Shiny Metal A$$!"
Sun 05/01/03 at 14:42
Regular
"Balls"
personaly i like futurama much better as it has morbo the news reporter in it, also its new the simpsons have done everything posible in the world, got abducted by aliens, had the worlds first sugar ban... the list goes on. but futurama has so many posiblitys... own the ironing
Sun 05/01/03 at 14:30
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
Groening isn't all that hands on (like most series creators). He has little to do with the actual writing, drawning or directing of the individual episodes - he's more in an supervisiory role guiding the long term direction of the series. Grab one of the DVD booklets, look through the episodes and see how many time Groening's name comes up as director or writer. Two co-writing credits in the first series, none in any of the 22 episodes of the second series (a pattern I'm 99% sure is matched through the rest of the series).

Doing this for more than one series at a time isn't impossible - there's at least one other series he'd pitched to Fox that was rejected, a spin-off about Homer when he was younger.
Sat 04/01/03 at 19:44
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
Sniper Master wrote:
> Like the Simpsons Futurama was created by Matt Gre... Nah i wont try
> to spell it that way i look less stupid. Anyway Matt has decided to
> stop his hillarius scribles of the simpsons and he probably has stoped
> this too.
> Give the man a break he is getting old and has produced THOUSANDS of
> quality shows and THOUSANDS of those little drawing in the news paper.

You're an idiot and apart from about <_________________> this much of what you said, you know. If he had it his way he'd be keeping busy, he also had/has plans for a third cartoon series which he's keeping hush hush. All he revealed is it has something to do with a rock star or group.
Sat 04/01/03 at 17:42
Like the Simpsons Futurama was created by Matt Gre... Nah i wont try to spell it that way i look less stupid. Anyway Matt has decided to stop his hillarius scribles of the simpsons and he probably has stoped this too.
Give the man a break he is getting old and has produced THOUSANDS of quality shows and THOUSANDS of those little drawing in the news paper.
Tue 31/12/02 at 18:39
If you compare the first few seasons of Futurama to the first few Simspon's seasons then Futurama wins hands down. The Simpsons was pants at first, and took ages to get good. Futurama was brilliant from the start, so think how good it would be by the time it got to the age of The Simpsons.
Tue 31/12/02 at 17:16
Regular
Season 2 is so much better.
Tue 31/12/02 at 17:08
"possibly impossible"
It seems that the popularity decline has one benefit. Virgin sales: Futurama Season 1 : £15.99. Whoohoo!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.