GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Playstation 2 DVD playback problem"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 23/12/00 at 16:13
Regular
Has anyone else noticed that when watching a dvd movie on the PS2 the sound gets further and further behind the picture as you watch it. Its really irritating and shouldn't be happening. I used to have the problem with my PC DVD player but got it sorted with some new software. But i would have thought that the PS2 would not have this problem. I really hope Sony sort this out.
Wed 03/01/01 at 13:39
Interesting stuff. Oh well, at least I have a PC DVD drive as back up. Though I feel sorry for anyone who just has a PS2, and can't get it to work.
Wed 03/01/01 at 12:41
"High polygon count"
Toy Story is a nightmare for a lot of people.

Check out: http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/getstory.cgi?story=1150
Wed 03/01/01 at 12:22
I've tried out a variety of films, and they've all worked fine so far. One thing I have had a problem with is the Toy Story box set. Both films play fine, but the bonus CD with all the 'making of' documentaries and so on, just does not play at all. A message is displayed to the effect of 'cannot read disc'. Though it does work OK on my PC DVD drive. Anyone else had this problem? On the whole, the PS2 has been better than my PC for playing discs (including the notorious Matrix DVD).
Wed 03/01/01 at 00:09
"High polygon count"
> What were you saying a while back Wookiee, about the DVD being
> software in Japan, and hardware in Europe or something... would
> that affect it?

It shouldn't, but I'm not 100% certain.

As I understand it, the DVD software on UK/US/Euro is held in a flash-ROM which can be upgraded with a special disc, which Sony can provide.

Some early low-end Samsung DVD players had problems with discs like The Matrix, and discs were made available which, when inserted, updated the software inside the player and fixed the problem. I believe Sony can do the same with the PS2, but I wouldn't swear to it under oath - I'm just fairly certain I read it somewhere.

The first Japanese PS2's stored the software on memory card, as you already know, and can be updated easily. The latest Jap PS2's are pretty much the same as ours, in that the software is onboard the machine. Although it's certainly possible, I can't see Sony losing this 'upgradeability', so a flash-ROM would seem a logical option.
Tue 02/01/01 at 18:00
Regular
Upgrading it, I mean.
Tue 02/01/01 at 18:00
Regular
What were you saying a while back Wookiee, about the DVD being software in Japan, and hardware in Europe or something... would that affect it?
Tue 02/01/01 at 17:48
MarkH wrote:
> I've had this problem on The Big Lebowski, and pausing and
> un-pausing sorts it. I've so far only had this problem on this one
> DVD.
>
> More annoying is the automatic vertical stretching on some DVD's.
> I have a 28" 4:3 ratio TV, but instead of playing DVD's back
> in 'letterbox' format (which I could handle), it stretches to fit
> the screen. This also occurs when the 16:9 option is selected at
> the DVD menu screen (if available). I've checked the settings and
> it appears that the system recognises the TV as 16:9, and I am
> unable to change it. I selected 4:3 on initial set-up of the
> machine, but to no avail.
>
> Has anyone found a way around this yet?

Mark,

I seem to have the same problem (see my post above!), Sony reckon that all are units are faulty and that you should be able to change the TV TYPE when playing a DVD but I don't know anyone that can!!. Changing the display type in System Configuration will not alter the DVD settings.

Also, check out the DVD VOLUME setting under the Sound setup screen, I don't know anyone's PS2's that will allow this to be changed either?!

Has anyone noticed the same or can you all change these settings with no probs??
Tue 02/01/01 at 16:36
"High polygon count"
It is definitely upgradeable - I think Japan already has an upgrade disc. The question is if and when Sony UK will be sending out such discs.
Tue 02/01/01 at 14:35
hey guys I know nothing about DVD but isn't the DVD software in the PS2 upgradeable?

does this mean that lip-synch could be sorted out with better decompression software?

I've had this problem with:

The Matrix
Notting Hill
The World Is Not Enough
MI-2
Tue 02/01/01 at 12:42
"High polygon count"
You may find that the DVD's producing the picture stretching are Anamorphic Widescreen discs, and this may be down to the way they are produced. I'm no expert, so I'm not saying this is definitely the cause, but it's the first thing that springs to mind. (For info on anamorphic widescreen, see http://www.dvdweb.co.uk/information/anamorphic.htm)

Also, regarding the lip-synch issue - keep in mind that this is a DVD decompression issue, not a PS2 issue - and there are several low-end DVD's which have this problem.

When I was originally looking to buy a DVD player just after last Xmas, I read several reviews in DVD mags, of 'budget' DVD players having lip-synch problems. That's why I eventually decided it was worth splashing out on a high-end player.

Personally, the only DVD I've watched on my PS2 is The Matrix, and I had no problems with it at all.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.