GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Games you've regretted buying"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 01/12/02 at 14:06
Regular
Back when I were a lad, I used to read Edge an awful lot (I still do, come to that). It was my prime game-reviewing source - if Edge said a game was good, then that meant it was good, and if I liked the look of it then I might venture out and buy it.

This is the magazine that gets 5 million letters a week along the lines of "YOU SED THIS GAME WOS GOOD AND ITS CRAP YuO SUKC" and wonders why. Bluntly, I've bought more than a few games on the advice of that magazine which were *utter* rubbish. To name a few:

Formula One World Grand Prix - N64

Oh. My. God. Whoever rated this half-finished piece of rank £$!# 8/10 should be marched outside and shot. The alarm bells should have started ringing when ten laps into the race, after you've stopped crashing every corner, you can make up around a minute per lap on the cars in front. Remember the "Lets see that again!!" advert? Well the game was worse.

Turok 2 - N64

A bloody unplayable mess of a game. It looked nice, but by the time I got to level 4 it made me almost physically sick to play. Maybe something to do with the 4 hours mindless drudgery between adjacent save spots.

GoldenEye - N64

A bit controversial this one, but I never liked GoldenEye, not one tiny little iota. Repeat after me - FPS DO NOT WORK ON CONSOLES IN THEIR TRADITIONAL FORM. One of the few games I have to completely re-learn the controls of every time I play it.

Urban Strike - SNES

I can't remember what score this got in Total!, but it was too high for a game that was basically still in alpha development. Optimisation? Speed? What are they?

Do share experiences of the games you've taken home, then wished you hadn't.
Sun 01/12/02 at 15:09
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Forsaken was just a little dull really.

Descent. Now THAT ruled.
Sun 01/12/02 at 15:05
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Axl Dickinson wrote:
> F1 World Grand Prix was great. At the time anyway. And it's a hell of
> a lot better than that Sony one on the PS2 with the green box. The
> ONLY redeeming feature of that was the ridiculous crashes.

F1WGP was abysmal, how could you possibly disagree?! Did I get some kind of specially mangled copy, that looked and played like porridge (nice rain though) with pre-Spectrum-era mistakes made in the game design?

> At the time, I was very disappointed with Turok 2, especially due to
> the fact that the original was an amazing game. However, after having
> not played my N64 in a very long time and being with my PS2, I decided
> to go back to my N64. I played Turok and realised just how much I took
> these games for granted. Turok 2 is a fantastic game by Dreamcast, PS2
> and GameCube standards. But not by N64 standards. That just proves how
> GREAT the N64 was.

Turok 2 was a shining example of how games can go wrong. Nice graphics, shame about the everything else. Every game I have ever bought or played for the Dreamcast was light-years better than Turok 2.

But you're right about Forsaken, it did suck.
Sun 01/12/02 at 15:03
Regular
"bit of a brain"
It's not a terribel game, just not as good as everyone thinks.
Sun 01/12/02 at 15:02
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
gerrid wrote:
> Er, I said it wasn't going to be great as well.

Ahhh, but did you say it would be crap? Not just 'not that great', but actually poor.
Sun 01/12/02 at 14:59
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Er, I said it wasn't going to be great as well.
Sun 01/12/02 at 14:58
Regular
south park
Sun 01/12/02 at 14:56
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
Mystique wrote:
> State of Emergency.
>
> Total cash in on GTA3's success. Dodgy controls, crap graphics, and a
> complete lack of "Must.Play.SOE". Yeah it's funny for the
> first half hour or so(at best) but then it gets old very quickly.
> Took it back the next day.

I said it from the beginning. From the very first screen shots, I KNEW it would be crap. But did anyone believe me? No. Not a single person. And then it was true. It was indeed crap and it was forgotten in a matter of days.
Sun 01/12/02 at 14:49
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
Miserableman wrote:
To name a few:

Formula One World Grand Prix - N64

F1 World Grand Prix was great. At the time anyway. And it's a hell of a lot better than that Sony one on the PS2 with the green box. The ONLY redeeming feature of that was the ridiculous crashes.

Turok 2 - N64

At the time, I was very disappointed with Turok 2, especially due to the fact that the original was an amazing game. However, after having not played my N64 in a very long time and being with my PS2, I decided to go back to my N64. I played Turok and realised just how much I took these games for granted. Turok 2 is a fantastic game by Dreamcast, PS2 and GameCube standards. But not by N64 standards. That just proves how GREAT the N64 was.

GoldenEye - N64

Oh dear lord almighty jesus!! Blasphemy!! You're going to hell boy!

Anyway, I hated Forsaken. After months and months and months and months of waiting and reading previews, the mags started reviewing it. 93% was the highest, 87% was the lowest. So I bought it. And it sucked. Severely.
Sun 01/12/02 at 14:44
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Army Men: Toys in Space, I don't know what I was thinking handing cash over for that rubbish, But I am thankful it was only £5 I wasted as apposed to paying full price for it.
Sun 01/12/02 at 14:43
Regular
State of Emergency.

Total cash in on GTA3's success. Dodgy controls, crap graphics, and a complete lack of "Must.Play.SOE". Yeah it's funny for the first half hour or so(at best) but then it gets old very quickly.
Took it back the next day.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.