GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Call Of Duty : World At War Multiplayer Beta"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Call Of Duty 5 : World At War'.
Mon 13/10/08 at 22:19
Regular
"I like turtles"
Anyone else on this ?.If so I wondered what you guys thought of it,please feel free to post.There's not really enough of a game to do a full review but for anyone interested here's what I made of it.

As a product of Treyarch Studio's who lets be honest have pretty much underperformed with every Xbox 360 project they have produced so far,my expectations for this were not that high.It does not disappoint in the way their Call Of Duty 3 did,but it has not exactly blown me away either.

Graphically the game is very impressive and even in its unfinished state it looks absolutely amazing.The water actually looks real as do the very impressive fire effects.I have not noticed any frame rate issues either,which I feared may appear from time to time on a game which looks this good.On the sonics,the game sounds very loud,with authentic sounding weapons.I found it sounded pretty similar to Infinity Wards ground breaking Call Of Duty 2,which for me was the best of the Xbox 360 launch titles.

Gameplay wise it is very similar to last years superb Call Of Duty 4,which is not a huge surprise as the game runs on the same engine.Free For All (every man for himself mode) is improved as the number of players has been increased from 8 to 12.The beta has 3 maps Makin,Roundhouse and Castle.All 3 are very good but Makin is very dark in places and as there were no night vision goggles in World War 2 it can be very hard to see what is going on in quite a few parts of it.Call Of Duty 4's Creek map (from the bonus multiplayer pack) is still my all time favourite and nothing on offer here comes close to topping that.The perks and XP are all pretty much as they were in Call Of Duty 4 with extra items becoming available as you progress through the ranks.

The servers the game runs on have been superb so far with no lag whatsoever.They have been a joy to play on.This was especially noticed as last years Call Of Duty 4 beta was a nightmare at times.

There are some nice tweeks Treyarch have brought to this game.Apart from the competent map design they have brought in a really unique weapon........dogs !.Seriously,no helicopters now but a pack of evil canines itching to bite your ass off!.That is the ultimate reward for your monster kill streaks.It sounds naff but it actually works pretty well even if it can be very annoying if you are on the receiving end.On the plus side every one you take out gives you points which add towards your score (less than killing an opponent though).Some of the weapons are hopelessly inaccurate but this is the kind of problem you can get on a beta.This may well be sorted by the time the finished game is released.

Its very hard to nail what exactly isn't so totally amazing about this game.As I mentioned it looks great,sounds great and plays just like Call Of Duty 4.It may be as it is really just more of the same and with no real ground breaking enhancements that I'm getting a little bit tired of the series ?.That may not be a totally fair criticism of the game as I have played the previous games to death over the past few years.Also there have been some total idiots on the beta which I have found very annoying and no fun at all to play,as well as some screaming kids who sounded all of about 10.If you really fancy yet another World War 2 shooter,or you are a total Call Of Duty fanatic then I suppose you could do worse than this.Its just so far it hasn't impressed me,nor has it been as much fun as its predecessor.Gears Of War 2 still looks like its going to be 2008's top shooter.
Wed 15/10/08 at 15:17
Regular
"THFC"
Anyone want a BETA key for Call of Duty 5 - i found out how to get hold of another one - so got a spare one.
Wed 15/10/08 at 10:15
Regular
"THFC"
Thanks to Simian i managed to get on Last night and am impressed. This game crept under the radar as i thought it would be a poor version of COD4 with little i liked about it. But i have to say that it throws a spanner in the works when it comes to getting games.

I really enjoyed what i played so far. The graphics are a bit darker then COD4 but seem a bit tweaked. The fact it is WW2 really doesn't bother me much as it still feels new.

It has the same feel as COD4 - the loading, the screens, creating a class etc. But there are some new additons which i like. As most of you knwo when you get a kill streak you get a bonus, one of them now is sending out Dogs, they run after people and in two hits kill them. They swerve and are pretty quick. Takes a good shot or well timed knife attack to send the pooch down. But it is a nice addition.
Tanks - yes something COD4 lacked has been added, they are pretty bad @ss and i found it the best way to rack up some kills.

I am still just working my way through things, getting new guns and levelling up, but i have to say i am very tempted to get this game, need to check the release and see how it fits in with others.

If you liked COD4 - you will like this, for me it is that simple. This is my first BETA - so i don't know how much the games normally come on from here, but the servers seem fast and connection is normally strong.

If you liek FPS, if you liked COD4, if you like War then you really should try this game. Hopefully a demo will be out for people or if not then rent it to try. I think i may need to get this one aswell!
Tue 14/10/08 at 16:57
"possibly impossible"
pete_21 wrote:
> pb wrote:
> Annoyed that I haven't got one yet. Supposed to get them with
> pre-orders of the game from GAME, but they haven't sent me
> anything.
>
> I think the GAME keys are sent out in random batches once a week
> ?.You will get one but don't think they can guarantee exactly
> when.Apparently some idiot paid £103 for one on eBay
> !?!.Could have bought 4 copies of the game for that !.Sent you a
> friend request the other day pb so hopefully see you and a few of
> the other guys on there soon.Have to warn you though,I am pretty
> crap at it!.

Cool, when I get back from London I'll make sure I add you. Hopefully sort the beta out for COD5, but even if I don't it's not that long to wait for the full game (if I can win a GAD or part with yet more games to trade in).
Tue 14/10/08 at 16:53
"possibly impossible"
Black8704 wrote:
> Got to go and pick my Xbox up from the City Link depot as no-one
> was in at home :(
> Couldn't wait for the re-delivery tommorow!lol

I'm the same with deliverys like that!

Add us all as friends when you get it online!
Tue 14/10/08 at 16:16
Regular
"Hello?"
Got to go and pick my Xbox up from the City Link depot as no-one was in at home :(
Couldn't wait for the re-delivery tommorow!lol
Tue 14/10/08 at 16:10
Regular
"I like turtles"
pb wrote:
> Annoyed that I haven't got one yet. Supposed to get them with
> pre-orders of the game from GAME, but they haven't sent me
> anything.

I think the GAME keys are sent out in random batches once a week ?.You will get one but don't think they can guarantee exactly when.Apparently some idiot paid £103 for one on eBay !?!.Could have bought 4 copies of the game for that !.Sent you a friend request the other day pb so hopefully see you and a few of the other guys on there soon.Have to warn you though,I am pretty crap at it!.
Tue 14/10/08 at 15:20
Regular
"Opposable thumbs"
Emmie87 wrote:
> Thanks mate - how do you get Beta keys - do you have to e-mail
> people or be part of something??
>
> Just wondering for the future, because looking forward to trying
> COD5 and would like to do more Beta testing
>
> EDIT: saw you posted loads of achievements for Fallout 3 -
> looking through them and thats another game i think i will pick
> up!

For Betas you just have to keep a look out when websites give them away, or applying when a games company wants beta testers. Some betas, like this one, can also be gained from pre-ordering the game.

Also, a one of the other new things in COD5 is a new perk slot - for tanks, which you can drive about and cause mayhem with :D.
Tue 14/10/08 at 14:54
"possibly impossible"
Annoyed that I haven't got one yet. Supposed to get them with pre-orders of the game from GAME, but they haven't sent me anything.
Tue 14/10/08 at 12:24
Regular
"THFC"
Thanks mate - how do you get Beta keys - do you have to e-mail people or be part of something??

Just wondering for the future, because looking forward to trying COD5 and would like to do more Beta testing

EDIT: saw you posted loads of achievements for Fallout 3 - looking through them and thats another game i think i will pick up!
Tue 14/10/08 at 11:32
Regular
"Opposable thumbs"
Sent.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.