GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Call Of Duty : World At War Multiplayer Beta"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Call Of Duty 5 : World At War'.
Mon 13/10/08 at 22:19
Regular
"I like turtles"
Anyone else on this ?.If so I wondered what you guys thought of it,please feel free to post.There's not really enough of a game to do a full review but for anyone interested here's what I made of it.

As a product of Treyarch Studio's who lets be honest have pretty much underperformed with every Xbox 360 project they have produced so far,my expectations for this were not that high.It does not disappoint in the way their Call Of Duty 3 did,but it has not exactly blown me away either.

Graphically the game is very impressive and even in its unfinished state it looks absolutely amazing.The water actually looks real as do the very impressive fire effects.I have not noticed any frame rate issues either,which I feared may appear from time to time on a game which looks this good.On the sonics,the game sounds very loud,with authentic sounding weapons.I found it sounded pretty similar to Infinity Wards ground breaking Call Of Duty 2,which for me was the best of the Xbox 360 launch titles.

Gameplay wise it is very similar to last years superb Call Of Duty 4,which is not a huge surprise as the game runs on the same engine.Free For All (every man for himself mode) is improved as the number of players has been increased from 8 to 12.The beta has 3 maps Makin,Roundhouse and Castle.All 3 are very good but Makin is very dark in places and as there were no night vision goggles in World War 2 it can be very hard to see what is going on in quite a few parts of it.Call Of Duty 4's Creek map (from the bonus multiplayer pack) is still my all time favourite and nothing on offer here comes close to topping that.The perks and XP are all pretty much as they were in Call Of Duty 4 with extra items becoming available as you progress through the ranks.

The servers the game runs on have been superb so far with no lag whatsoever.They have been a joy to play on.This was especially noticed as last years Call Of Duty 4 beta was a nightmare at times.

There are some nice tweeks Treyarch have brought to this game.Apart from the competent map design they have brought in a really unique weapon........dogs !.Seriously,no helicopters now but a pack of evil canines itching to bite your ass off!.That is the ultimate reward for your monster kill streaks.It sounds naff but it actually works pretty well even if it can be very annoying if you are on the receiving end.On the plus side every one you take out gives you points which add towards your score (less than killing an opponent though).Some of the weapons are hopelessly inaccurate but this is the kind of problem you can get on a beta.This may well be sorted by the time the finished game is released.

Its very hard to nail what exactly isn't so totally amazing about this game.As I mentioned it looks great,sounds great and plays just like Call Of Duty 4.It may be as it is really just more of the same and with no real ground breaking enhancements that I'm getting a little bit tired of the series ?.That may not be a totally fair criticism of the game as I have played the previous games to death over the past few years.Also there have been some total idiots on the beta which I have found very annoying and no fun at all to play,as well as some screaming kids who sounded all of about 10.If you really fancy yet another World War 2 shooter,or you are a total Call Of Duty fanatic then I suppose you could do worse than this.Its just so far it hasn't impressed me,nor has it been as much fun as its predecessor.Gears Of War 2 still looks like its going to be 2008's top shooter.
Wed 02/09/09 at 12:43
Regular
"my name is alan"
hey guys i was 1ndering wat was yere highest level on nacht der untoten
Sat 11/04/09 at 17:06
Regular
"Ya Danoo About Me"
The Multiplayer mode isvery good ifyou got your friend with ya
but its best if you do it on your own because its well better you got a hole screen to your self and it makes it more realistik trust me
because you got people running at you and its amazing but if you completed the game on your own already i fink itsbest to play multiplayer mode thats what i say my friend hope it comes in need this messege.
Mon 30/03/09 at 14:39
Regular
ya i agree it is kind of a boring game for me
Thu 29/01/09 at 15:28
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
It may be the same gameplay but I think that the label itself is making progress as they have finally realised that WW1/2 has been done to death.
I want to see them come up with their own war. Although COD has pretty much based its name on realistic warfare so........
Thu 29/01/09 at 13:08
Regular
hey i have to use my friends ps3 to play the game but i think the game is a lot like the last one... but i do love the old school guns makes me wanna buy them in real life...i really just created an account on here so i can get more people to be my friend"s on there.. my name is DiRRT add me please if you don"t mind.. thank you.
Thu 16/10/08 at 18:05
Regular
"Opposable thumbs"
Emmie87 wrote:
> The first time i played it i was really excited and loved playing
> it - then last night i was a bit like, it feels like COD4 and i
> got bored of that, and started ot get bored of COD5.
>
> I dont know if i will pick it up or not, decisons!

TBH, you'd be better off just waiting for it to eventually hit bargain bins - it IS pretty much the same COD4 gameplay.
Thu 16/10/08 at 14:22
Regular
"THFC"
The first time i played it i was really excited and loved playing it - then last night i was a bit like, it feels like COD4 and i got bored of that, and started ot get bored of COD5.

I dont know if i will pick it up or not, decisons!
Thu 16/10/08 at 14:17
Regular
"Opposable thumbs"
pete_21 wrote:
> Anyone else noticed how rubbish the respawn system is on this ?.I
> seem to respawn,then get knifed in under 5 seconds.Happened to me
> 3 times in a row in one game.Might just have been really
> unlucky,but its a bit crap to pop you back in the game in a place
> where you're just going to get killed again straight away.Need to
> get this sorted for the finished game.

Gah! Yes - I've 'woken up' a number of times for a pack of dogs just to jump on my throat. So annoying!

The game is good, but I'm not sure I want to pay a full game price for what is essentially, a re-skin mod for COD4. There are a few nice features, like map voting being on a shortcut button now, and the addition of tanks and their perks, but it is such as lazy sequel!
Thu 16/10/08 at 08:03
Regular
"THFC"
you should have like a 3 second spell of not taking damage when you spawn. Just to give you a chance, but then sometimes you spawn behind someone - so guess it is unlucky for them
Wed 15/10/08 at 21:06
Regular
"I like turtles"
Anyone else noticed how rubbish the respawn system is on this ?.I seem to respawn,then get knifed in under 5 seconds.Happened to me 3 times in a row in one game.Might just have been really unlucky,but its a bit crap to pop you back in the game in a place where you're just going to get killed again straight away.Need to get this sorted for the finished game.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.