GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Do You Feel Strangers Pain / Discomfort?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 26/09/06 at 21:18
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
Click Here

I go past where this accident happened every day and yesterday after seeing the railings smashed to pieces whilst stuck in a traffic queue I wondered what had happened and thought a boy racer had lost control of his car like so many have done in the past whilst racing at up to 80mph in a 40mph zone.

After seeing this article on the front page of the Derby Evening Telegraph today when I went past the scene tonight my stomach turned knowing what had happened there yesterday like I'm sure many other people would.

But I was thinking about other less tragic times when I seem to experience other peoples pain and discomfort even though I don't know them and have never met them. For example last night watching Hells Kitchen when Gordon Ramsay was ripping into the contestants I seemed to get the same feeling as if I was there and it was happening to me.

It might just be because it's a programme I get really into but I was just wondering if anyone else experiences the same thing and how strong the feelings are?
Thu 28/09/06 at 23:45
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Hmmm is quite the interesting question, maybe we can go back to the maternal instinct thing again as to why that happened.
Thu 28/09/06 at 23:44
Regular
"The definitive tag"
Is it true that females read body language better than blokes? I was in a bad mood the other day and I bumped into a chick I know. Before I even said anything, she said "what's wrong?". I was quite stunned to be honest. It's not like I was pulling any odd facial expressions or anything. I was just on my way into college looking the way I always do but feeling rotten on the inside.

I don't usually pick up on someone's mood unless they're giving obvious physical signs.

Interesting subject.
Thu 28/09/06 at 19:32
Regular
Mumbai Duck wrote:
> These types of men are what us gals refer to as
> "projects."
>
> When women think like this, do you think it's a genuine
> maternal-esque desire to help people grow, or the mind's way of
> reconciling the conscious awareness of the social flaws of the
> person with the underlying attraction to someone bearing those
> flaws?

It could very well be a pleasant blend of both rationales. Although I believe it's just the female species to have a robust nurturing tract inlayed in our chromosomes (most likely because we're the one's that bear children), this "project" individual I speak of comes in both genders, just to clarify. Men do also fall prey, but I don't believe that it's so much an inbourne trait to initially be maternal-esque (heh), than it is a learned one. Peace to ma gay peeps, I'm speaking in generalities here..

Now, metaphorically speaking, when it comes to the involvement with a "project," it's like rubbernecking the incident of an accident causing a traffic jam. Some people actually stop to help and render aid in all their empathetic maternal resourcefulness, but end up getting rear-ended in the process, because they weren't watching themselves. In esscence, they create a secondary problem to the problem that wasn't theirs to resolve to begin with.

The moral of the story? I don't really know, everyone's got issues. I suppose if we're not secure with ourselves and careful with our boundaries though, we can become co-dependent or enabling in the relational feelings and nurturing of the project at hand. It, in effect, becomes draama.
Thu 28/09/06 at 17:39
Regular
pb wrote:
> The other side of this, which also may go some way to explaining
> shared feelings is that our brains are sending and receiving
> signals which are basically just sparks of electricity. It is
> quite possible that this energy may be able to travel and
> connect with someone else.

Ahhh, I love this kind of stuff.

People can read each other, 'vibe' with each other, with an incredible level of perception of the other person's feelings.

Is it simply subconscious perception and interpretation of subtle clues in body language and voice tonality, or is it another form of communication we don't really understand yet - radiation.. models of the nature of consciousness or something..?

If we admit that there are things yet to be discovered, the inner workings of the brain seem like a rich field of discovery.
Thu 28/09/06 at 17:35
Regular
Ladybird wrote:
> "One," as in human, or with the universe? :)

In the babies, 'one' as in a part of one collective self.
Which is strikingly similar to some systems of philosophy...

> These types of men are what us gals refer to as
> "projects."

When women think like this, do you think it's a genuine maternal-esque desire to help people grow, or the mind's way of reconciling the conscious awareness of the social flaws of the person with the underlying attraction to someone bearing those flaws?
Wed 27/09/06 at 09:14
"possibly impossible"
The other side of this, which also may go some way to explaining shared feelings is that our brains are sending and receiving signals which are basically just sparks of electricity. It is quite possible that this energy may be able to travel and connect with someone else.

Not enough studies are done on the subject though as 'proper' science doesn't seem to want to explore anything that might be seen as paranormal, for fear of lack of funding.

New Scientist seems to be a good place for new and strange scientific results to come to light though.
Wed 27/09/06 at 07:12
Regular
Mumbai Duck wrote:
> I wonder if empathy works through these old pathways that define
> everybody as 'one'.

"One," as in human, or with the universe? :)

It is rather interesting..human development, that is. I took a psych course way back that addressed how individuals needed to attain certain concepts at particular stages in life, or they became arrested in their development. Seemingly, basic survival is developed within the third trimester in utero and refined up to the age of seven. I suppose it's safe to say then, that some people are truly inept to feeling empathy because of their upbringing. These types of men are what us gals refer to as "projects."

I know, deep.

:P
Wed 27/09/06 at 04:18
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Mumbai Duck wrote:
> How do you all feel about evolutionary psychology, and the
> notion that they're simply hard-wired responses evolved through
> their benefit to the survival of the species?
>
> It claims to undermine all our values. And the reasoning is, for
> me, compelling.

Hmm...how does it undermine our values?
I must admit I've read very little on the subject, but from what I have I might be tempted to take comfort in the idea actually.
Wed 27/09/06 at 03:08
Regular
Love, empathy, all the real virtues of humanity..

How do you all feel about evolutionary psychology, and the notion that they're simply hard-wired responses evolved through their benefit to the survival of the species?

It claims to undermine all our values. And the reasoning is, for me, compelling.

I thought I was comfortable with it.. 'However I got them, they're the values I choose to live with'.
But sometimes I reflect on it all and think 'Dammit, are they completely hollow pokery?'

Human babies don't identify themselves as distinct from others until age 2.
Hence when they see another child fall over, they expect to physically feel the pain themselves.

I wonder if empathy works through these old pathways that define everybody as 'one'.
Wed 27/09/06 at 00:04
Regular
"!"
It's empathy, it's noticeably freaky when it gets stronger.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.