GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Do You Feel Strangers Pain / Discomfort?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 26/09/06 at 21:18
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
Click Here

I go past where this accident happened every day and yesterday after seeing the railings smashed to pieces whilst stuck in a traffic queue I wondered what had happened and thought a boy racer had lost control of his car like so many have done in the past whilst racing at up to 80mph in a 40mph zone.

After seeing this article on the front page of the Derby Evening Telegraph today when I went past the scene tonight my stomach turned knowing what had happened there yesterday like I'm sure many other people would.

But I was thinking about other less tragic times when I seem to experience other peoples pain and discomfort even though I don't know them and have never met them. For example last night watching Hells Kitchen when Gordon Ramsay was ripping into the contestants I seemed to get the same feeling as if I was there and it was happening to me.

It might just be because it's a programme I get really into but I was just wondering if anyone else experiences the same thing and how strong the feelings are?
Tue 26/09/06 at 21:18
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
Click Here

I go past where this accident happened every day and yesterday after seeing the railings smashed to pieces whilst stuck in a traffic queue I wondered what had happened and thought a boy racer had lost control of his car like so many have done in the past whilst racing at up to 80mph in a 40mph zone.

After seeing this article on the front page of the Derby Evening Telegraph today when I went past the scene tonight my stomach turned knowing what had happened there yesterday like I'm sure many other people would.

But I was thinking about other less tragic times when I seem to experience other peoples pain and discomfort even though I don't know them and have never met them. For example last night watching Hells Kitchen when Gordon Ramsay was ripping into the contestants I seemed to get the same feeling as if I was there and it was happening to me.

It might just be because it's a programme I get really into but I was just wondering if anyone else experiences the same thing and how strong the feelings are?
Tue 26/09/06 at 21:20
Regular
Well yeah, when I read about a tragic story or whatever I tend to think how I would feel in that situation ... hard to be completely detached from things ... I think if you were then there would be something wrong with you.

I often wonder how the hell Soldiers do their job in a war situation and cope with what they see.
Tue 26/09/06 at 22:40
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Well i think every man feels the pain every time they see something like a guy getting a football blasted into his groin, or falling onto some railings.

I'm wincing just thinking about it :-D
Tue 26/09/06 at 22:42
Regular
There's a new advert on tv showing people having their heads bumped, I cant watch it because I almost feel the pain from when I've banged my head in the past.
Tue 26/09/06 at 23:09
Regular
There comes a point that you become numb, so to speak, having to endure hardship and trauma for so long. I suppose it's easy for people to say something is wrong with you then..? You've somehow become psycho having to cope?? From what I understand, it's normal for the mind to initiate its own defense mechanisms; hence, the reason for soldiers back from of the Middle East, or any war for that matter, to go through sessions of debriefing for decompressing and reacclaimation to the norm..whatever that might be. Not having to worry about being gunned down or bombed every second of the day, I imagine. Even survivors of domestic violence can feel numb for years.

Some people are more sensitive to feeling other people's pain and don't just stop at feeling, they get down in the trenches and help. Though, on the other hand, I've observed some attorney's that are like shells of law, removed from their client. I suppose it could be useful to have someone tough as steel defending you, while you're withering with emotion in the hot seat. But I always wonder, if they can't display that they feel the depths of my pain, how can they defend me adequately? Hm..

As a mother, I feel everyone's pain. A baby cries in the market and my ears are at attention! Yet on the lighter side of being emo, I feel everyone's happiness too. :)

It's quiet admirable that you mens can express feelings this way. Some guys go mute just to be manly men. Pft. Those are the ones, it seems, that don't care who they hurt.
Wed 27/09/06 at 00:04
Regular
"!"
It's empathy, it's noticeably freaky when it gets stronger.
Wed 27/09/06 at 03:08
Regular
Love, empathy, all the real virtues of humanity..

How do you all feel about evolutionary psychology, and the notion that they're simply hard-wired responses evolved through their benefit to the survival of the species?

It claims to undermine all our values. And the reasoning is, for me, compelling.

I thought I was comfortable with it.. 'However I got them, they're the values I choose to live with'.
But sometimes I reflect on it all and think 'Dammit, are they completely hollow pokery?'

Human babies don't identify themselves as distinct from others until age 2.
Hence when they see another child fall over, they expect to physically feel the pain themselves.

I wonder if empathy works through these old pathways that define everybody as 'one'.
Wed 27/09/06 at 04:18
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Mumbai Duck wrote:
> How do you all feel about evolutionary psychology, and the
> notion that they're simply hard-wired responses evolved through
> their benefit to the survival of the species?
>
> It claims to undermine all our values. And the reasoning is, for
> me, compelling.

Hmm...how does it undermine our values?
I must admit I've read very little on the subject, but from what I have I might be tempted to take comfort in the idea actually.
Wed 27/09/06 at 07:12
Regular
Mumbai Duck wrote:
> I wonder if empathy works through these old pathways that define
> everybody as 'one'.

"One," as in human, or with the universe? :)

It is rather interesting..human development, that is. I took a psych course way back that addressed how individuals needed to attain certain concepts at particular stages in life, or they became arrested in their development. Seemingly, basic survival is developed within the third trimester in utero and refined up to the age of seven. I suppose it's safe to say then, that some people are truly inept to feeling empathy because of their upbringing. These types of men are what us gals refer to as "projects."

I know, deep.

:P
Wed 27/09/06 at 09:14
"possibly impossible"
The other side of this, which also may go some way to explaining shared feelings is that our brains are sending and receiving signals which are basically just sparks of electricity. It is quite possible that this energy may be able to travel and connect with someone else.

Not enough studies are done on the subject though as 'proper' science doesn't seem to want to explore anything that might be seen as paranormal, for fear of lack of funding.

New Scientist seems to be a good place for new and strange scientific results to come to light though.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.