GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"My First Movie."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 26/11/02 at 22:20
Regular
This is for everyone who is into making their own short films or pieces of movie image. Lets talk about it, especially you Mr Happy. If you need anything post it in here, or if any of you need any advice. :)

If Goatboy reads this I need some footage of his band as he knows, this will help bridge time between sequences I will soon film.

Anyone filming anything?
Let's Talk!
Joby
Tue 26/11/02 at 23:23
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
My short film is going to start shooting next year.
It will look crap because I'm shooting on DV, and can't afford film or proper lighting, but parts of it will look cool. And the Uni film society is saving for a decent boom mike, so it might sound okay... But I'm going to muck around with sound on the computer anyway.

I have a few scenes planned out in my head... but it's not properly scripted yet.

One scene would involve two people meeting in a crowded street - both entering from opposite ends - (shot from a balcony) and as they walk towards each other I want to raise the noise of the crowd up and up then when they stop in the middle and make eye contact I want to fade the noise of the crowd out, and then physically fade the crowd out too. So they are standing there in complete silence... I'll probably get markers on the road for where they have to stop and shoot at 3:00 in the morning with some extras. If it worked it would look beautiful...

My titles stuff is the hardest thing I need to do. I'm going to start with a butterfly (my recurring theme) and a voice over, with the camera gradually tracking back. Then as it tracks back further the edges of the projection (no refresh lines on a projection right?) come into view and it's a lecture on chaos theory (randomness is a recurring theme) and then the projection moves on to a giant tidal wave (stock footage? - where can I get that from? I might just settle for a big wave...) and the camera starts moving towards the screen again. Then I'll probably jump cut to a crowd running away from said stock footage of tidal wave with one old guy sitting there completely still, accepting his fate. While he's sitting there camera click noises would sound and perhaps and on screen shutter closing or something, followed by posters of said old man coming off a printing press (my next door neighbour runs a printing press in Warwick :-)) Then the camera would move in towards the poster and when it tracks back the poster is one a bedroom wall. In the bed is a sleeping girl. The camera moves close in on her eyes, an image of two people dancing fades up on to the screen. It's backlit (probably in front of a large window) so you can't see their faces and while they dance to the music you become aware of a banging noise and a muffled shout (recorded and then slowed down majorly so it sounds distorted and weird) and suddenly the dancers disappear as the girl's eyes (still faintly visible in the background) flick open and the music ckeeps playing but changes to tinny radio quality, as the voice at the door speeds up to normal speed.

And that's the start anyway.
Over-ambitious?

I also want to try a steadicam shot with the steadicam attached to the actress' body rather than the cameraman's, to try and get a subjective-y feel.

The provisional title is "Mad Girl's Love Song"; it's based on a short story I wrote agggeeeesss ago, and which has been changed a lot. It's about someone who is falling in love but not with the person that *is*, rather the person she wants him to be. The story was based on a Sylvia Plath poem:
"I shut my eyes and the world goes dead
I think I made you up inside my head"

And it should have lots of Plath references in it. I also want to try and play around with monochrome and vivid colour, but that's as a back up. Ideally when she realises that the guy she likes is not who she wants him to be, I want her to run out of the building she's in (Downing College library - it's so photogenic) and outside it's winter, hopefully snow if the weather permits, and as she walks back to her room (static camera shot) I want to have her walking back slowly superimposed over speeded up footage of maybe one hour's worth of people walking through. Then in the room she sees that the guy in the post is shutting his eyes, because he has accepted fate. So she shuts her eyes. Superimposed image of a wave crashing down. Fin. (I might have her ask the person in her dream to dance then the wave crash but I'm not sure)

There's stuff in the middle I've still got to work out. But that's what I want to make. And the start and conclusion are pretty clear in my head.
Tue 26/11/02 at 22:20
Regular
"everyone says it"
This is for everyone who is into making their own short films or pieces of movie image. Lets talk about it, especially you Mr Happy. If you need anything post it in here, or if any of you need any advice. :)

If Goatboy reads this I need some footage of his band as he knows, this will help bridge time between sequences I will soon film.

Anyone filming anything?
Let's Talk!
Joby

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.